Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
shepherd

Quote:
of course there is no actual true self, these are maps or models of consciousness or of human psyche. if what is your concern as a therapist who believes that self acceptance is the key to healing the self, then such concepts as true/false selves impedes the healing process rather that help, yes you may be right.

these ideas are rather philosophical in nature and wouldn't probably useful in a clinical scenario.

I wouldnt use them in a clinical way but am wondering what the benefit is in the spiritual community?

Quote:
his is what you said ....

Quote:
what if its just a "self" and the labels we give it are just judgements based on what we think is right or wrong

Ah, I can see what you were referring to. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Ivy

Sorry Shepard...but you chose to start a thread with some quite derogotory perceptions of others. When I have spoken that way it has been because I am tired and frustrated (feeling ug)....the advice I gave was the advice and the compassion that I would give myself in those circumstances.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
I wouldnt use them in a clinical way but am wondering what the benefit is in the spiritual community?.

spiritual community is teeming with spiritual seekers and travelers.
an accurate map is always handy in endeavors/adventures like these.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
shepherd

Quote:
Sorry Shepard...but you chose to start a thread with some quite derogotory perceptions of others

Heather, I pointed out some members gloated over others in some threads and I noticed it. Its not derogatory to point out the behaviour of others, it would be derogatory to name or hint who they were. So again, sit back and think, what is this really about and please respect the thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 PM
shepherd

Quote:
spiritual community is teeming with spiritual seekers and travellers. an accurate map is always handy in adventures like this.

That reminds me of The Alchemyst by Paulo Coelho.

Who provides the map and why do they think they have the answers to provide the details of the journey spiritualists should take?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Neville

I have to admit, that the persuit of ones true self carries implications that the fella I see in the mirror is a conditioned facade. Be that as it may, the fella in the mirror Is me.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Ivy

Sorry shepard, but theres no more than what has been given already. Ive shared in tghe spirit of being honest and open. If you can use it, good for you...if you cant, thats fine. But if you want to make an issue of it, that is your decision..not mine..go for it.
shepherd

Quote:
I have to admit, that the persuit of ones true self carries implications that the fella I see in the mirror is a conditioned facade. Be that as it may, the fella in the mirror Is me.

That should be a quote in one of those books of wisdom. It really does make you think. If you wrote that Neville, can I borrow it and credit to you?

Ps Heather, enough with the manipulation already.
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
That reminds me of The Alchemyst by Paulo Coelho.

no idea.

Quote:
Who provides the map and why do they think they have the answers to provide the details of the journey spiritualists should take?
it helps them along the way and they want to share it.

as an aside, it doesn't sound derogatory when you pointed out that some behaviors of flaunting their profound experiences were happening here. and i agree to the extent that at least it is brought to the light of our awareness if not totally addressed.

but imo, most of the time, the message was quite okay. but sometimes the messengers are not, hehe

Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
you depicted a self that is dynamic. in lieu of this, can we be just ourselves without having to resort to label as true, false, higher, lower, god , ego, good, evil selves as shepherd suggested?
What does it mean to be ourselves?

If the self is dynamic and not an actual entity, is there a time when we are ''ourselves''?

Some say when you're still you are yourself.
Others feel 'alive' and themselves when they are active.

I guess it's a matter of preference, and claiming that a particular state is the true self gives us no explanation why the non-self state exists.
Closed Thread