Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Master
Vajrayana student-teacher relationship

Hi Guys,

I have this past year entered into a powerful student-teacher relationship. It is extremely potent and I often feel completely naked and vulnerable before my teacher, who sees me with a cutting clarity and this is reflected back to me. The closeness and love is unlike anything I have experienced even with family. In fact, honestly, I have never experienced this level of intimacy and transparency in my life. Upon meeting we both recognized each other and he has told me we know each other from (at least) a past life.

He is a highly respected buddhist vajrayana teacher, the highest level teacher in his lineage of Buddhism. MANY of my concepts have been cut through by this relationship, it's unbelievable how much more free and open-minded I am.

I am entering retreat with him soon and am feeling, well, quite nervous!!! I have fallen completely in (unattached) love and feel INTENSE devotion.

I'm wondering if any of you are in vajrayana student-teacher relationships? And what your experience is?

Vajrayana is tantric Buddhism, in which there is much emphasis on the student-teacher relationship being intimate, sometimes even closer than family.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Suspended
I think you're learning the Tibetan Buddhism. They learn also spells and incantations I suppose, that means it can control other's thinking. That's the part you've to be careful. I suggest you can find out something about that in Google search.
Old 21-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird21
Hi Guys,

I have this past year entered into a powerful student-teacher relationship. It is extremely potent and I often feel completely naked and vulnerable before my teacher, who sees me with a cutting clarity and this is reflected back to me. The closeness and love is unlike anything I have experienced even with family. In fact, honestly, I have never experienced this level of intimacy and transparency in my life. Upon meeting we both recognized each other and he has told me we know each other from (at least) a past life.

He is a highly respected buddhist vajrayana teacher, the highest level teacher in his lineage of Buddhism. MANY of my concepts have been cut through by this relationship, it's unbelievable how much more free and open-minded I am.

I am entering retreat with him soon and am feeling, well, quite nervous!!! I have fallen completely in (unattached) love and feel INTENSE devotion.

I'm wondering if any of you are in vajrayana student-teacher relationships? And what your experience is?

Vajrayana is tantric Buddhism, in which there is much emphasis on the student-teacher relationship being intimate, sometimes even closer than family.

Does your teacher have the same relationship with all his students ?
Old 21-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Seem you're seeking emotional home rather than liberation. This kind of relationship actually isn't what buddhism is about.
Old 21-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Hi Guys,

If your opening deeper and comfortable with the whole nakedness of your own essence it will serve you to bridge what life (in your normal arena of living) itself cannot always support you with as I have learned.

In my experience we can learn through many relationships, only difference is that your naming yours teacher/student and its a practice to take you deeper more specifically to build deeper intimacy with self and it seems to be one that is set up to do this.

The Buddhist believers will naturally wonder what on earth your getting yourself into.

But I do understand from a greater perspective of people/in body and in spirit, opening me deeper to cut through my conditioned ideas in everyway of myself.

Some people you meet in this life will strip you down to your core. I know that reflection myself, I had lots more reflections to deepen into beyond that alone. Of course I don't want to take away from your own experience, it is your choice and chosen path.

The key is be careful of the attachments that can arise in the notion, they are "doing this" and it feels so "wonderful". It is you opening to this in yourself to be you and extend as you into the world beyond that space..When you make claim to another supporting you to open and believe that it is the "Be all, end all" you might find yourself falling under the spell and attachments will shine their light in new ways. Even as you might believe your not attached.. Just being aware is a good thing.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 21-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
Seem you're seeking emotional home rather than liberation. This kind of relationship actually isn't what buddhism is about.

Yes I agree, I would be veryyyyyyy careful.
Old 21-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Sounds like a beautiful connection.

The openness you are feeling is normal for such a guru relationship. As you know in vajrayana trust in the guru is very important.

Please keep us updated.

All the best,

Tom
Old 21-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground

That type of relationship is exactly what Buddhism is about.

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/spirit...cher_guru.html

"To find a Buddha, all you have to do is see your nature. Your nature is the Buddha. And the Buddha is the person who's free: free of plans, free of cares. If you don't see your nature and run around all day looking somewhere else, you'll never find a Buddha. The truth is, there's nothing to find. But to reach such an understanding you need a teacher and you need to struggle to make yourself understand..."
Bodidharma
Old 21-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
That type of relationship is exactly what Buddhism is about.

Says the one who declared to not be a buddhist and who mixes a bit of buddhism with hindu religion.
Old 21-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Master
*Blessed One, addressing the Venerable Ânanda, said:

"I have taught the Dhamma, Ânanda, without making any distinction between exoteric and esoteric doctrine, for in respect of the truth, Ânanda, the Tathâgata has no such thing as the ‘closed fist’ of a teacher who hides some essential knowledge from the pupil.

"It may be, Ânanda, that in some of you the thought may arise, ‘The word of the Master is ended. We have no teacher any more.’ But it is not thus, Ânanda, that you should think.

"The Doctrine and the Discipline which I have set forth and laid down for you,let them, after I am gone, be your teacher. It may be, monks, that there may be doubts in the minds of some brethren as to the Buddha, or the Dhamma, or the Sangha, or the path (magga) or method (patipadâ). Inquire, monks, freely. Do not have to reproach yourselves afterwards with the thought: ‘Our teacher was face to face with us, and we could not bring ourselves to inquire of the Exalted One when we were face to face with him.’*

Mahaparinirvana Sutta.....
Closed Thread