Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 20-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Bitis

making your own essential oils

Hi everyone,

I was thinking , while looking in the garden , and thought "what can i do with that big rosemary bush and that huge lavander plant, so i thought of the possibility of making my own essential or "scented" oils.

so i had a quick scout around and found there are 2 or more ways to xtract the scents from plants, one is very simple, which is simply take your plant/herb of choice, and soak it in the oil you will use to make it from, because i have money problems i chose simple sunflower oil, because its light, cheap and good for the skin *if i chose to try my oil in a bath*. Then you gently warm it in the sun for maybe only 10 - 15 minuites, stir it around or shake the container, i chose to stir it , then leave it in a cool dark place for 12 hours , stir, and do that for 2 days, then sieve out all of the plant matter, i used a tea strainer **and i crushed it between 2 equal size plastic tupperware pots* , then repeat the process untill the oil smells..... of your chosen plant.

very very simple, absolutly nothing difficult.....

so now i have a small bottle **just under 200ml** of rosemary scented oil! And its actually looking and smelling good, although it does remind me of food a bit LOL, and the oil is greenish colour now, and i only soaked it twice, i used quite a lot of rosemary leaves, a good couple of big handfulls, but i have not actually used any in an oil burner yet.... the only reason is i seem to have misplaced my burner!!

does anyone else make their own scented oils? any random info to share about it?

the next will be the lavander when it flowers, thats going to be strong! and also i bought some lemons and limes, was thinking of trying to use them...maybe i should shred the skins, maybe shred and dry? im not sure, but for the money spent £1.59 for a litre of oil, i cannot really go wrong can i??
Old 20-04-2011, 11:12 AM
jjj

I have made this type of oil in the past. Although my Lavender oil was never very... 'lavendery'. I have thought about making actual essential oils for years. I think it would be so awesome (I am an aromatherapy enthusiast :) ). I can never get lavender to live through the second year. It does great the first year and always looks like it's coming back the second (green at the ground) and then dies? I LOVE Lavender... wish I knew how to grow it. :( We have tons of Lemonbalm which would make great essential oils. When I was looking into it, it looked like there was one way to distill a bit cheaper than the others (still not really simple though). I will have to look it back up.
Old 20-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Bitis

hi! i have no idea how to grow lavander either! it must just be the soil, and the fact its plantd on our houses back wall, which gets sun from about 9.30 am to whenever the sun goes down!

The funny part is i love gardening animals plants ...but im not knowlegable about different plants, but they never seem to die on me, it may just be all the ones i have are easy plants? lol

aloe, money/jade plant, xmas cactus, mother in laws tongue or snake plant, the rosemary and lavander, and my cherry bomb chilli plant!! this thing is immortal, its funny...i bought some salad mix in tescos one year, planted some seeds out of a chilli and what do you know, i have plants! i had to give some away, and the 1 i have left lol...i repotted, it almost died then it comes back with about 20 chillis!!! love it! its only about 50cm tall :)

what other stuff can you grow in your home? do you have any ideas?

is there a gardening forum on here? lol i dont think so...miight be an idea, i better look , catch yas later!

i will let you know if i think of anything to help your lavander
Old 29-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Ivy

Essential oils are different to aromatic oils. An essential oil is the oil within the plant. Different plants require different methods of extraction.

But when you use an oil burner, you usually add a few drops to water. If you put cooking oil in your oil burner, it might set fire.

Lavender is nice simply to dry the flowers and make lavender bags that you can hang around the place.

And any herbs can be added to wax to make scented candles....they look very pretty too xx
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
jjj

My husband maintains the veggie garden. We always end up giving away and selling tons of tomatoes and some peppers. He grows jalapenos and lots of other types of peppers. We grow a few peas, onions, etc... veggies. I've always had good luck with herbs but since I've been in grad school I haven't had much time and energy to devote to it (full time work/ full time school + family). But I LOVE growing chamomile. Really easy to grow. It's time consuming to harvest but the smell is so intoxicating and I find it really relaxing to sit picking chamomile flowers in the morning sun :) . We have tons of echinecea (sp?).

I am better putting the things I don't seem to have a knack for growing: roses (although I've had the miniature ones do great), blueberries, and lavender.

Someday I want to try distilling essential oils. Just to say I did :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitis
hi! i have no idea how to grow lavander either! it must just be the soil, and the fact its plantd on our houses back wall, which gets sun from about 9.30 am to whenever the sun goes down!

The funny part is i love gardening animals plants ...but im not knowlegable about different plants, but they never seem to die on me, it may just be all the ones i have are easy plants? lol

aloe, money/jade plant, xmas cactus, mother in laws tongue or snake plant, the rosemary and lavander, and my cherry bomb chilli plant!! this thing is immortal, its funny...i bought some salad mix in tescos one year, planted some seeds out of a chilli and what do you know, i have plants! i had to give some away, and the 1 i have left lol...i repotted, it almost died then it comes back with about 20 chillis!!! love it! its only about 50cm tall :)

what other stuff can you grow in your home? do you have any ideas?

is there a gardening forum on here? lol i dont think so...miight be an idea, i better look , catch yas later!

i will let you know if i think of anything to help your lavander