Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 24-11-2010, 06:26 AM
mahakali

yes there is a such thing as a rapper sounding like nails on a chalk board, believe me, when i hear it and have to leave the room there's also a such thing as it sounding like butter, pure butter glorious music to the ears. its a talent that you have to be born with just like playing guitar, all the lessons in the world cant give you rhythm.
Old 24-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Master
Just want to say, there is no ill will from me, i am bit disappointed that so many people seem to miss the essence of hip hop and are so prejudice against it. I guess it's understandable in a sense from what most get exposed to it from the media or whatever.

But yeah. I love all music that is from the heart, that has artistic integrity, that is real. There is some from all categories, (maybe some more than others..) You don't have to get hip hop. I am ok with that. Don't want to come across as angry or anything, that is not the case. Just bit disappointed as i say.

I implore and encourage you to expand your musical horizons and give it a chance. Keep an open mind. If not, ok. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks as they say lol (if you are old that is..)

Regardless,

OneLove . ~
Old 24-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Master
The only positive thing I can say about [c]rap is that it makes Country & Western sound good.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
The only positive thing I can say about [c]rap is that it makes Country & Western sound good.

refer to mahakali's and my last 3 posts or so for appropriate response.

Find it sad that people feel the need to disrespect an entire art form without knowing the first thing about it.

as they say though it's bigger than.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNyr6BJZuI

Old 25-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music?

You started a most interesting thread! Art forms that express the negative part of our existence have been with us well before "Metal and Dark Music". The music of which you speak is merely the latest incarnation of that. Before that we had "the blues" which expressed the suffering of the soul. In 1914, we had "the rite of spring" which was a classical music piece describing a human sacrifice ritual in spring for a bountiful fall harvest. It goes on and on.

Who is to say Black Sabbath's title track and album "Black Sabbath" which describes a satanic human sacrifice ritual is any more abhorrent than Stravinsky's rite of spring?

Likewise, Iron Maiden did a "blues number" in their own way. "Run to the Hills" graphically describes the Native Americans under attack by colonist forces.

I think the trick is to enjoy it for the artistic value of what you are listening to when it comes to "dark music" instead of allowing it to dictate your mood and emotions.

Quote:
I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions.

Spirited

Im happy to hear this. The more spiritual I became the more I started branching out to other "lighter forms" of music as well (I however did always like "light" music from the rockers). However, I do not feel that intense, hard driving music is all "dark". Jimi Hendrix comes to mind. Most of his lyrics are social commentary, sexual, spiritual and a few (which by the way get all the attention) on mind expanding substances. Nothing negative about that. His guitar work was and always will be the best most innovative stuff.

Iggy Pop & the Stooges also come to mind. That was hard driving stuff that wasnt necessarily dark. I still love to rock out and feel that rocking out was and is a most spiritual experience for me.
Old 25-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
I love all music that is from the heart, that has artistic integrity, that is real. There is some from all categories, (maybe some more than others..)
I think that's key - "from the heart." That's what we use music for - to relate to, to receive empathy from, however we're feeling. When I'm stressed out & it's been noisy for hours, the last thing I want to listen to is heavy metal, rap or hip hop. Sometimes just silence is golden. Sometimes some of that fits my mood. At times, when I feel (from my heart ) enthusiasm & a desire to MOVE - I need some hip hop, or something with a good beat.
Old 25-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Master
I've heard what is refered to as hip hop since Blondies 'men from mars' and the Grand Master Flash, but all I'm give me a mic and I can rap, but I don't because I can actually sing.

Give him a mic and ask him to sing... coz any singer can rap (as can most anyone) and it has to be admitted to sing is far more intricate with melody, breath, poise, breath and control than speaking rhythmically.

My refined ear is how I can tell the contrived from the substantial... and I watched the entire evolution of rap while video killed the radio star

If it's rhythm that turns you on then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ&feature=related
Old 25-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I've heard what is refered to as hip hop since Blondies 'men from mars' and the Grand Master Flash, but all I'm give me a mic and I can rap, but I don't because I can actually sing.

Give him a mic and ask him to sing... coz any singer can rap (as can most anyone) and it has to be admitted to sing is far more intricate with melody, breath, poise, breath and control than speaking rhythmically.

My refined ear is how I can tell the contrived from the substantial... and I watched the entire evolution of rap while video killed the radio star

Whoa! Hold the microphone there! I highly disagree with you that "anyone or any singer can rap". Well maybe they can, but they wont sound polished or professional or of a high quality. Same goes for singing, anyone can sing but not all can sound of a high quality. Good rapping takes skill, talent and breath control like any good singing does. Not only that, but rapping is also about improvisation. Many of the live rapping contests (I believe they are called "smackdowns") are about thinking up new rhyming lyrics on the fly as you go along which takes talent. I remember every white guy and their brother criticizing rap when it came out as talentless and ****. They obviously had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about.

How the heck did you come to your conclusions about this?
Old 25-11-2010, 04:58 PM
mahakali

thanks seazen and here its called freestyle and when 2 are competing its called a battle. its funny how gem thinks that we are still talking about the top 20 even though we have told him that indi or underground WILL NOT BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO so hes most likely never ever heard this stuff. Blondy can rap just like a tone def person can sing, and a tone def person may think that it sound good. so to the naked ear rock is rock no dif between a legend and a talentless cover band. no dif between krs-one and Blondy? do you know how ridiculous this sounds gem? you dont have to be right man, you dont, you can choose your battles
Old 25-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Master
lol seazen - 'smackdowns' lol! Good points though. love the iggy pop and the stooges too, btw. That is actually a good point that a lot of 'dark music' is what one of my friends would call the dark good, like Johnny Cash being the 'man in black'.. not a bad thing, the shadow side maybe, bringing social commentary to injustice, giving it voice. Iron maiden is great for that. So was Johnny Cash. How cool was he to play at Folsom Prison to all those inmates. Must have been first guy to do anything like that.

The origins of rap actually (besides coming from jamiacan 'toasting' and there disco influences) was actually to express their plight about conditions of living, racism, etc. etc. as it started in the projects of New York. That is where it originated, and the spirit from which it came.

Anyways, Gem, tell me if you can 'rap' like this, or even if you can follow the flow of this song. If you honestly don't think this takes skill... then fine. (though i won't believe you lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdrossKXGb4

Beautiful example of relevant social commentary, listen to the lyrics. This MC died less that a month ago. (RIP Eyedea) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8