Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Shabby

Kill the Buddha???

Why did God asked Abraham to kill his son, why did Jesus say to hate your mother and father and why did Buddha say to kill the Buddha if you see him on the street. Why would God ask this of us? What is the true meaning behind it?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Did any of those 3 really happen?
Would be my question first.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
Why did God asked Abraham to kill his son,
God has answered that question.
Quote:
He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.”
(Genesis 22:12 ESV)
He was testing Abraham and he didn't allow him to go through with the sacrifice.

Quote:
why did Jesus say to hate your mother and father
Perhaps that statement will be easier to understand if you read the context in which it was made.

Quote:
Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
(Luke 14:25-33 ESV)
He was simply telling others the cost of becoming his disciple. He also said that if we want to follow him we must even hate our own life. Our devotion to him must be so great that any other relationship will seem like hatred by comparison.

Quote:
Why would God ask this of us? What is the true meaning behind it?
God is our creator and the source of everything good that we have. Isn't it reasonable that we should love him and be grateful for all that he has done for us?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Did any of those 3 really happen?
Would be my question first.

does the act of asking mean they were done, or does the dirty deed need to be done for it to really happen?

mj
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Master
'Kill the Buddha' was to teach that Buddha is our true nature, not a person.
James
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Elijah

'Kill the Buddha' is a saying attributed to a zen master named Linji.
It's means to cut through one's preconceptions of what the Buddha (Buddha-nature) is.
In other words don't cling to any notion of what the Buddha is, to 'kill' is a metaphor, suggesting one to disregard such conceptions.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Master
not literally "kill" buddha but kill the vision, get rid of it, because it's not real, it's a projection.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Mayflow

I agree with WhiteShaman and Elijah. The last step to the reality of God or Buddha, is beyond conceptual thinking. They do not mean to kill a human called Buddha, they mean to kill the concept to experience the reality.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Master
i thought the phrase was "if you see buddha, kill him"

ah i heard it explained as i said it before but juyst found this::

There is a saying: "If you see the Buddha, kill him." Very shocking to people who offer
incense and worship before an image. If you have a concept in the mind
of a Buddha outside yourself, kill it, let it go.

and another::

if you see the Buddha on the road, it is the path you should take, and by killing him you become him

which i think are similar to other's posted and i would think they fit better