Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > UFOs

Old 29-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Knower
Lightbulb Where are the Aliens?

This interesting video by Rob Dyke talks about aliens, UFOs, and mathematical probabilities involving other complex life on planets similar to our own. It also talks about a few different theories on why aliens may not have contacted us. Or already have.

I recommend watching this as it gives a brief introduction to some of the ideas.

The Drake Equation
The difficulty of deep-space travel.
Alien extinction.
Complex life being extremely rare.
The distance that light travels and time distorting our view of possibly inhabited (or once inhabited) planets.
We're not yet advanced enough to communicate with them. Because we haven't even reached Stage I of civilization. We're at 0.75
The Great Filter.
Self Protection. They don't trust us or anything else in the universe to be friendly.
Protected Zone. We're in a zone that is nobody outside is allowed to enter. Like a preserve or "zoo". Communication is restricted or banned.
Etc.

My question to you is also his question in the end of the video:
Do you WANT Extraterrestrials to discover us?

Here is a video that explains the Fermi Paradox in greater detail.
The Drake Equation in detail.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:51 AM
Seeker

I'm afraid your question is irrelevant based on their presence. From my perspective the questions would be why they are here, is it good that they are here, and why do they appear to be in hiding at the moment? I've seen a lot of theories and claims on the topics, but nothing conclusive.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakers
I'm afraid your question is irrelevant based on their presence. From my perspective the questions would be why they are here, is it good that they are here, and why do they appear to be in hiding at the moment? I've seen a lot of theories and claims on the topics, but nothing conclusive.

There are far more reasons for them to want to stay hidden than to be a visible presence.
The majority of this planet's population are unaccepting of differences in other humans, let alone with a superior species.
Even in 'civilised' countries it is likely they would be met by hostility rather than with open arms (and minds).

The general population would panic if aliens were proven to be here, which I guess is part of the reason that those in the know try to keep the information to themselves.

As to why they would bother to come here in the first place, I would assume it would be either:
1) To view us as a way of looking back in time, to a more primitive existence, such as when we document secluded tribes still living cut off from the rest of the world (Eg Amazonian tribes).
2) To help us further our understanding of the universe etc.
3) To gather resources, either genetic or physical.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemDragon09
This interesting video by Rob Dyke talks about aliens, UFOs, and mathematical probabilities involving other complex life on planets similar to our own. It also talks about a few different theories on why aliens may not have contacted us. Or already have.

I recommend watching this as it gives a brief introduction to some of the ideas.

The Drake Equation
The difficulty of deep-space travel.
Alien extinction.
Complex life being extremely rare.
The distance that light travels and time distorting our view of possibly inhabited (or once inhabited) planets.
We're not yet advanced enough to communicate with them. Because we haven't even reached Stage I of civilization. We're at 0.75
The Great Filter.
Self Protection. They don't trust us or anything else in the universe to be friendly.
Protected Zone. We're in a zone that is nobody outside is allowed to enter. Like a preserve or "zoo". Communication is restricted or banned.
Etc.

My question to you is also his question in the end of the video:
Do you WANT Extraterrestrials to discover us?

Here is a video that explains the Fermi Paradox in greater detail.
The Drake Equation in detail.

There are so many flaws in the guess work done by physicists and the conclusions they draw, it really annoys me that the majority of what they say amounts to "It could be this".

For example, the way they search for planets in the universe, using how the star light fluctuates (as a planet passes). This only would work if all planets' orbits were in line with our viewpoint, which is unlikely. Also each observed star would have to be viewed for a period of time equal to that of one complete orbit of the planet, which may be hundreds of years depending on the size of the star and the resulting 'Goldilocks zone'.

Also if you look at our history we can see that the communication technology that is blasted into space has only been happening for a very short space of time, yet the advancements during that period is incredible, so theoretically in 100 years we could well be communicating in a totally different way, which would be undetectable to our current equipment.
This would mean that the radio waves are only transmitted for a few hundred years before the signal is replaced with the new communication tech. So, if a planet has been transmitting for more than 300 years (plus the time taken for the signal to reach us) then it will be undetected by our current technology.
So, what we are actually currently looking to detect is communication from a very small band of time within the period of the species' existence.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Apologies for ramblings.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Experiencer
"Also if you look at our history we can see that the communication technology that is blasted into space has only been happening for a very short space of time, yet the advancements during that period is incredible, so theoretically in 100 years we could well be communicating in a totally different way, which would be undetectable to our current equipment.
This would mean that the radio waves are only transmitted for a few hundred years before the signal is replaced with the new communication tech. So, if a planet has been transmitting for more than 300 years (plus the time taken for the signal to reach us) then it will be undetected by our current technology.
So, what we are actually currently looking to detect is communication from a very small band of time within the period of the species' existence."

Yes, that's what the physicists say.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiBach
"Also if you look at our history we can see that the communication technology that is blasted into space has only been happening for a very short space of time, yet the advancements during that period is incredible, so theoretically in 100 years we could well be communicating in a totally different way, which would be undetectable to our current equipment.
So, what we are actually currently looking to detect is communication from a very small band of time within the period of the species' existence."

Yes, that's what the physicists say.

OK, I stand corrected!
Maybe I chose the wrong career path...
Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Experiencer
Thy also say that our transmissions are currently 20 light years out, and expanding on a spherical wavefront at the speed of light. Exciting stuff.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Thy also say that our transmissions are currently 20 light years out, and expanding on a spherical wavefront at the speed of light. Exciting stuff.

Yeah, it is pretty cool, although it is a bit too long winded for my liking. Bring on the investigations into telepathy...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Experiencer
The telepathists have been doing their thing for at least 150 years. The physicists have only been exploring deep space for the last 50 years or so, and have already discovered much more than the telepathists.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
The telepathists have been doing their thing for at least 150 years. The physicists have only been exploring deep space for the last 50 years or so, and have already discovered much more than the telepathists.

Whilst I agree with you I would like for us both to be proven wrong.

The thing I find most exciting about space exploration is how we are constantly discovering things which contradict previous thoughts/explanations.
It really hits home how little we actually know about the universe.