Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 26-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
It depends what you mean by the correct use of the word ego. You have your definition, other people may have different definitions.

Regarding the ancient ego-less masters needing to be spoon-fed, etc, perhaps we have to go a little deeper. Yes, there are examples of those who are (or were) so intoxicated with spiritual bliss that they are oblivious to the needs of the physical body.

There are also those who have transcended all identification with the physical body and personality but continue to use the body and function perfectly effectively through the body. It is this lack of identification with the physical body/personality which is the freedom from ego. It is not a helpless state, and it is not to be confused with the condition of some of the unfortunate people in the mental health system.

Or to put it another way, I get in my car and use it to travel from A to B, but I never consider that I am the car. So it is with the physical body/personality.

Peace.
Then with respect, we don't have much more to say.
Old 26-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
It depends what you mean by the correct use of the word ego. You have your definition, other people may have different definitions.

Regarding the ancient ego-less masters needing to be spoon-fed, etc, perhaps we have to go a little deeper. Yes, there are examples of those who are (or were) so intoxicated with spiritual bliss that they are oblivious to the needs of the physical body.

There are also those who have transcended all identification with the physical body and personality but continue to use the body and function perfectly effectively through the body. It is this lack of identification with the physical body/personality which is the freedom from ego. It is not a helpless state, and it is not to be confused with the condition of some of the unfortunate people in the mental health system.

Or to put it another way, I get in my car and use it to travel from A to B, but I never consider that I am the car. So it is with the physical body/personality.

Peace.
Yes, agreed, iamthat.

What is said above is correct from the spiritual p.o.v. within the context of spiritual discussion.

Otherwise confusion of terms may misleadingly posture as "spiritual", and unfortunately at the same time casually employ dismissal, invalidation, and negation of what is actually and historically spiritual, simply as a convenient rhetorical tactic or advantageous polemical device.

Spirituality proper is a specific context, potential, possibility, and function operating with definite principles, one of which is not: “My opinion is spiritual, because I have one”, etc. Or, "There is no 'spirituality', because I don't find it useful for myself", etc.

Unfortunately it is within the context of spiritual discussion more than anywhere else, where quite often one may encounter such impoverished inductive reasoning as truth…my truth…universal truth.

Of course, what is quoted above MAY BE questionable from the conventional academic context of material science, psychiatry, psychology, sociology, or politically correct conventional "folksy" wisdom, etc., even what is now traditional organized religion.
But here we are discussing spiritual matters from a spiritual p.o.v.

And from the spiritual p.o.v., the term “ego” has always been associated with the false separative cognition or consciousness inherent to human life.

It is important, or even indispensable to acknowledge that also within the spiritual context, “ego” is not the sole or exclusive term of individuation and will, but rather, is necessarily the ignorant component or false construct of human individuation and will, necessarily limited and limiting by nature, an instrument of wrong and imperfect identification - not a unitary originating force or cause, nor gnostic cognition.

~ J
Old 26-03-2019, 09:15 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Meaning thereby that if you are happy doing what you are doing ...

But need the new job you feel your heart is not in, to meet basic ends meet

Then where is the choice is one question but then why are you still happy with less is the counter argument ...

And if you have enough for your needs but seek more for raising living standards at the cost of compromising, narrowing your sense of being ... then it is a bottomless abyss

And then again, since we are not hermits marooned on an island, we must within limits of reason look into judicious needs of the family dependent upon us ...

Then also see, this new job ... not permanency ... make money, gather and store the nuts for security. It is an unending desire however you may end up fanning unless there is an innate ability to walk away from any emerging contraction in the blink of any eye. In most cases however, the whirlpool sucks us in.

The answer as always, lies within.

Thanks, man.

JL
Old 26-03-2019, 09:18 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir

It is important, or even indispensable to acknowledge that also within the spiritual context, “ego” is not the sole or exclusive term of individuation and will, but rather, is necessarily the ignorant component or false construct of human individuation and will, necessarily limited and limiting by nature, an instrument of wrong and imperfect identification - not a unitary originating force or cause, nor gnostic cognition.

~ J

Agree - this is my expectation, understanding and experience.

Welcome !

Namaste,

JL
Old 26-03-2019, 09:19 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Working with principles of 'right livelihood' could be a way forward on this one.

Thanks Gem!

JL
Old 27-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Namaste
Namaste JL

Quote:
No, I don't think so
You should have said "Yes", that way you have an excuse for coming back to this insanity.

Quote:
Greenslade, my beliefs are not based on beliefs - they are based on experiences. Many deep spiritual experiences I, like so many on this forum, have had. This affirms the truth of the Ancients and Masters, I believe not because I believe, but because I know.

Quote:
I think we are using the concept of ego differently. In the realized, the ego is the instrument of Peace. This is my belief and experience.
So you've had some experience of psyche wards? That's where my experience comes from.

I'll go back to what I said about Maya and Samadhi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9zSMsKcwk

There's more to Spirituality than Spirituality

Have fun
Old 27-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
if you dont like sales maybe dont imo. i got into truck driving because im mostly connected to the earth, sky, and so on as it relates to a guru to connect with for growth. so thats what i do and i enjoy it.

previous to that sales one way or another. including a small business i had. nothing happens and nothing matters unless something is sold and for enough to be worth while. including paying for slow times. so again sales most important part of what i was doing with that.

although truck driving helps me from the energetic aspect. sales and small business was my teacher for spiritual development. everything from that transfers over one way or another. for me. i have no idea for anyone else. i will just mention the big thing. in business and sales you have to be accountable for everything. put everything on the line. if you cant make it happen. no money. out of business. gone with the wind. learning that was the big thing i needed to know when it comes to spirituality. was like same old thing over again. for the most part. i got to make it happen. no excuses or gone with the wind. lol

anyways im rambling my personal experience which may not be helpful at all.

whatever you chose good luck!
at times I dream about driving truck. For all the reasons you mentioned and maybe some more. I feel my life and my mental "tuning" is set up for it. But there's always something keeping me back. It's something like " you have other things to do first". What??? I don't know, guess I'll figure that out when I get there.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 PM
ketzer

Quote:
I recently got offered a contract which would appear pretty good. But it is sales related, and my heart is not in it.

Intellectually, I would be stupid not to take it. But...I'm not excited.

Anyone been in a similar situation, or have any advice?

While I have never been offered a sales related job, I expect this is a paradox we humans all wrestle with in life.

I can't seem to find the quote that comes to mind online, but I remember hearing it at a play version of A Christmas Carol and it stuck like glue in my mind. It goes something like this.

Quote:
"There is nothing the world is quite so judgmental and disapproving of as greed and riches, and nothing it is quite so hard on as poverty."

We all want to follow our hearts down the path of what we feel is right, yet in the end it is a predator and prey world we live in. It is a conflict we all live with... or perhaps not live.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 AM
janielee

Thanks ...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Master

I hate working in sales.