Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 29-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Deactivated Account

Some things

Some things that I just felt like bringing up:

1) Why is the server always down? It can't be just me.. there's hardly anyone on these forums.. is there not anyway this thing can be sped up? It's plenty annoying to be in the middle of writing something and you want to check something else on the site for reference but you can't because the server is down or when you go to post something and the server is down so you can't and you've basically just lost your entire post. I know copy and paste before posting prevents this problem but that's not really the point.. is there anyway this problem can be fixed?

2) Also just something I've noticed myself is that when members write something amusing or something that I just want to thank them for I'm often stuck to writing pointless comments to express it instead of being able to 'like' the comments like I would like to. I know on another forum I was on before they had a thank button.. is anything like this a possibility on this forum or do I just have to continue making pointless posts, lol?

Thanks.
Old 29-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Deactivated Account

Hello Scarlett,

I am not sure on the answer to your first question, it is frustrating when one gets the " server is busy " message and is in the middle of posting a reply. Best thought on that is to write your reply elsewhere and then when you are ready to post it you should be able to do so. Seems to happen randomly that the server is busy.... one can go for days and everything is fine.

Question 2 on the like button, that option isn't available here. One solution would be, instead of as you put it ... "continue making pointless posts, lol? "...... you could say something useful, lol in addition to liking the member's post .

In my opinion, it is rather pointless to just " like " a person's post .

Dream Angel

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
Some things that I just felt like bringing up:

1) Why is the server always down? It can't be just me.. there's hardly anyone on these forums.. is there not anyway this thing can be sped up? It's plenty annoying to be in the middle of writing something and you want to check something else on the site for reference but you can't because the server is down or when you go to post something and the server is down so you can't and you've basically just lost your entire post. I know copy and paste before posting prevents this problem but that's not really the point.. is there anyway this problem can be fixed?

Thanks.

fyi - I have been wondering about this myself as I get "server busy, try again later, etc." all the time, but mostly when not logged in, just viewing, and hardly ever while posting (although as a precaution I do save copy until I hit the 'post' button). I imagine there is some algorithm which gives priority access to those who are logged in. But based on the number of times I get the 'busy' message, makes me wonder how many non-member viewers are actually getting access to the site, now that the above post makes me realize it's not just me.

~ J
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
fyi - I have been wondering about this myself as I get "server busy, try again later, etc." all the time, but mostly when not logged in, just viewing, and hardly ever while posting (although as a precaution I do save copy until I hit the 'post' button). I imagine there is some algorithm which gives priority access to those who are logged in. But based on the number of times I get the 'busy' message, makes me wonder how many non-member viewers are actually getting access to the site, now that the above post makes me realize it's not just me.

~ J

That's interesting.. but I'm always logged in. So in that case it shouldn't be happening so much for me? But like you it does all the time.

Maybe the algorithm gives priority access to long term users with the most posts? I don't know. It's just a bit weird.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Deactivated Account

Oh wait I just had a thought.. does this forum run off say another larger server that hosts a lot of different other forums? I don't really know how these things work but maybe there's a lot of traffic going on those other forums as part of the shared server or something? Which slows down this forum as some of the bandwidth is being used up to support the other larger forums?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Sleepy_Druid

Quote:
Thanks.

Honestly, I get the "server is busy" message at least everyday more then once. It is annoying and I end up just copying the whole thing before I even hit reply.

I did it for this too. I think that maybe everyone was pushing reply or your idea about it being on one giant "engine" would be likely.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Oh wait I just had a thought.. does this forum run off say another larger server that hosts a lot of different other forums? I don't really know how these things work but maybe there's a lot of traffic going on those other forums as part of the shared server or something? Which slows down this forum as some of the bandwidth is being used up to support the other larger forums?

Hi ScarlettHayden,

Probably the case that it is a bandwidth or routing issue, although I really don't know.

Regarding your previous:
I don't know about the member longevity & # of posts theory - been a member for 3 years and have as many posts as some who have been here 3 weeks! Also just got 'server busy' message when trying to post my last post. Additionally, I find that I cannot stay logged-in for long. Even while posting I get timed-out if the composing field is not active for a few minutes (note to self: do not go get a snack while typing! and always hit control/'c' periodically before finally hitting 'submit reply', just in case) and then have to log-in again. Many mysteries...

~ J
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Maybe the algorithm gives priority access to long term users with the most posts? I don't know. It's just a bit weird.

There is no priority access, lol .... everyone gets the " server is busy " message equally .....

as to the reasons for why the server is busy , seems to be a mystery.....

try to have patience and deal with it best you can ~ everyone is in the same boat

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
There is no priority access, lol .... everyone gets the " server is busy " message equally .....

as to the reasons for why the server is busy , seems to be a mystery.....

try to have patience and deal with it best you can ~ everyone is in the same boat

Ha~ Well never know

Doesn't anyone maintain the functionality of this? I mean not like moderators or anything.. I mean the people who made it and can change the coding and stuff? Or was that just Matt (R.I.P) who took it to the grave with himself?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Master
Bandwidth costs money, keep that in mind.