Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
rose

thanks e-ma. we are of like minds i think :)

AL - i like what you said. i have noticed many people get so defensive and rude when i say i don't eat meat. but a few of those people have admitted to feeling guilt themselves. i just hold a mirror to them...but not intentionally.

i have never wanted to make people feel bad about not doing what i do. i don't want to feel bad when i see people living self sufficiently. i want to be pleased for them and be inspired by their efforts.

i wish people could accept each other more. and not have a go or make digs about the leather shoes etc etc. not all vegetarians have the same reason for not eating meat. the reasons are vast for many. just like the reasons for eating meat are also.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
AL

bone

As we are in changing times, people WILL get a little rigid and religious about the food thing. Dogmatic even when they feel the benefits. It seems to be a natural honeymoon sort of thing with it. After a year or two, we tend to ease off and it just becomes natural. People need to be allowed to go through their initial phase /fad thing. Some eventually go back to their old ways and others start to take in more of what they have given up, retaining the essence of what they have learnt, but the period of cleansing will have done them good. There are good vegetarians, and not so good ones, because it is all about knowledge, knowledge which should be taught to us in school, from our parents, tv etc, then given the practical experience of preparing that which we have knowledge of in terms of food.
The best way to convince others about the diet thing is to let them taste the food. The proof of the ......
Blaming out parents is a none starter, not a wise thing. It lacks understanding.
Come on meat eaters, you can surely knock up more of a debate than this. Heh, sorry if that is a bit close to the er.. bone.
peace Al.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:41 PM
e-ma

close to the bone, tee hee

Yup, I know what you mean about the tolerance thing rose, I guess that's why I try to mention it as little as possible, and generally pass the issue off by saying 'oh, I don't eat that much meat really', it's full acceptance of them and nobody gets defensive.

I would be just as happy for a push towards totally humane organic meat than I would full vegetarianism.. but veggie food really can be 100% lush..

AL, I doubt many meat eaters would daaaare to come into a Veggie and Vegan forum?!!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:16 AM
AL

who's line is it anyway

I uderstand your stance there, not to rock the boat. The other side is, I feel as if I am not dealing with people and THEIR ways, but am dealing with those who have made them this way, from birth. Ignorance is bliss.
We must of course accept others ways, many of my friends eat meat. But I wonder if they know what they are really eating. The real problem in the world is that people just don't care, it is this giving up despondency thing which is most dificult to deal with in the self and others.
Spirituality can help to bring hope and faith.
Al
Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
e-ma

Yup, spirituality can bring hope and faith.. but that's only good if you actually need hope and faith.. before I had a spiritual awakening I didn't need any of these things, there were plenty of other pleasures and trapments in the material world that were keeping me totally absorbed and happy. I think it takes an awareness from birth or a wake-up call to become spiritually aware and to commence your spiritual evolution.

As for wanting to make the others realise what they're doing, I know exactly what you mean, but at the moment all I can do is live my life with my philosophies and maybe provide an example.

At my work I have been devastated because the Rentokil people have been called in and piles of rat bait and traps have been installed everywhere, outside, around the grass and trees and bushes.. everywhere. A letter was distributed to everyone saying 'There has been an infestation of vermin' and giving instructions on what to do to try and get this plague finished as quickly as possible. I have had the pleasure of watching a family of rats raising their young, I saw them every morning before work and used to love observing their habits and their environment. And now the family has gone, and hundreds of others have been killed, and all of the trees and bushes are to be removed from the site as well. I felt sick when I heard this news from my superiors, and said to all of my colleagues that I was gutted, and that I felt sorry for the rats. Is this the 16th Century? Where do people stop, when the entire natural world has been destroyed?

But, sorry for the ramble and getting back to the point, although I feel strongly and I do want to run around screaming "Don't you realise?!" I will simply carry on and leave that decision to the people who are making the decision.

It's a really tough one eh.
Old 14-10-2006, 09:52 AM
AL

These creatures have no sphincter, which means they have no control over their urine excretion etc.
If they happen to be on your loaf of bread at the time......
So, there is a limit. If they are in my kitchen, I have the rite.
Rats urine is very poisonous. However, I suspect they were blaimed for the likes of the plague when it may not have been them.
These rats will have a food supply nearby, is someone leaving things out for the birds for instance? They seem to nest where there is grub, and why not.
peace.
Old 15-10-2006, 10:11 AM
e-ma

I guess so Al, but I wish we could use a humane method of removing them - these rentokil methods are just draconian if you ask me. There is a pretty big source of food nearby, a bread factory next door. LOL. But I still think that if the factories secure all of their rubbish and waste and everything is cleaned and sealed properly, the problem would take care of itself. I couldn't personally take the life of an animal
Old 16-10-2006, 02:43 PM
AL

mice

You can get devices which use sound to scare them off these days. I am about to get something and like yourself, dont want to kill.
Mice have excellent homing heads, you have to take them miles to let them go, or they find their way back.
The shops and restraunts bellow my flat and the many single folk/ students in the area keep them going.
The only true way is not to leave any food/ crumbs for them and they will go elsewhere.
I am in the situation at the moment where I need to do something though.
We had a rat in the back garden which was sustained by the bird feeder on a tree.
cheers
Old 20-10-2006, 07:04 PM
e-ma

hehe, I hope you manage to find a decent and humane method of getting rid of them, Al. I always think about those sonic sound devices but in real life I never hear of them anywhere. I heard that mice really hate Cayenne Pepper.. Also, putting Moth Balls into a laundry bag and hanging that up, gets rid of every living thing (without harming them). OK, this is beginning to sound like a daytime TV article..
Old 22-10-2006, 01:56 PM
GoldChord

Hi,

I think I am the world's worst vegetarian. Everyone appears so healthy on this forum. I am one of those terrible people who doesn't eat meat but then fails to consume the correct substitutes - like beans, lentils and tofu - sorry can't hack it. I seem to live on pasta for the most part. I know, I know, very bad eating habits.

I became a vegetarian nine years ago and the only flesh I consume is tuna. Had to because the canteen at work did not have anything vegetarian. The only thing close was a tuna roll. I developed a taste for it before I got my act together to bring my own lunch. Anyway, I grew up on a farm and ate meat my entire life. Eventually I realised that it was making me ill. Ever since I stopped a series of health problems I had also ceased. I have never gone back.

I think if you want to eat meat go for it. I think it's a bit harsh that some poor animal has to die just so we can have a nice juicy steak - but also agree that we are in many ways designed to eat meat and have consumed it for a long time. It is a legitimate part of a healthy diet.

Alot of people do get wierd when they find out I'm vegetarian - they seem to think they have to apologise or that you are going to start preaching animal rights to them. But I'm fine with it and have no trouble admitting it - so they usually chill out pretty quickly.

Now, before I stop going on here I just have to know - can someone please tell me how they know cooked human flesh smells like pork? This is all a bit gruesome. But now I have a morbid curiosity. Sorry.

Take care.
Closed Thread