Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Experiencer

what we seem to fear and what we actually fear

The following are quotes from ACIM:

'Your fear of darkness is nothing compared to your fear of the light. Your real fear is of redemption.'

'The possibility of looking within and seeing guilt only SEEMS to be the source of fear. The actual source of fear is of looking within and seeing innocence.'

'What seems to be the fear of death is really its attraction.'

'The body is a fence the Son of God (which is everyone) has created around himself, for within this fence he thinks that he is safe from love.'

There are two things, everything else is a FORM of them - love (true content) and lack of love (false content).

Lack of love is an illusion.

We seem to fear lack of love - separation, guilt, suffering, darkness, oblivion.

What we really fear is love - oneness, our innocence, our divine nature, our self-love.

People constantly AVOID love and their own divine nature. We run away from them. If we can see this within ourselves, perhaps we could overcome it.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul

'Your fear of darkness is nothing compared to your fear of the light. Your real fear is of redemption.'

'The possibility of looking within and seeing guilt only SEEMS to be the source of fear. The actual source of fear is of looking within and seeing innocence.'

'The body is a fence the Son of God (which is everyone) has created around himself, for within this fence he thinks that he is safe from love.'

There are two things, everything else is a FORM of them - love (true content) and lack of love (false content).

We seem to fear lack of love - separation, guilt, suffering, darkness, oblivion.

What we really fear is love - oneness, our innocence, our divine nature, our self-love.

People constantly AVOID love and their own divine nature. We run away from them. If we can see this within ourselves, perhaps we could overcome it.

Avoidance is a tricky word because when you understand and look at life being itself as it is, conscious or not conscious of itself then avoidance does fall away from the context of yourself aware in this way. There are many ways of understanding avoidance so its not really something I hold myself to or others too. I suppose my own awareness of being someone, blind till I could see, feeling more when I could open and feel more, letting go when I realized I could and needed too..allows me to be more understanding of how the mind/body system operates. I mean the list of realizations are endless, which has allowed me to understand people as they are more directly, not through a dialogue in myself telling reasons as to why this is so or why things are not so...When you go deep into yourself beyond the "ideas" of why and how and this is so, there is understanding of what is, as the one is, experiencing it for themselves is experiencing... Of course it all helps through process to understand it all if you need too for yourself to become more aware.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Experiencer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

'Looking at life as it is' might not be looking totally objectively and honestly, as people tend to see what they want to see.

That may be the basic problem we have with finding truth - seeing what we want to, rather than being truly honest and objective.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

'Looking at life as it is' might not be looking totally objectively and honestly, as people tend to see what they want to see.

That may be the basic problem we have with finding truth - seeing what we want to, rather than being truly honest and objective.

Looking at life as its is, is looking at life as it is without the context of labels and your own ideas about what is happening, that is the direct point I am sharing here as myself aware.

Looking at life more directly as it is, is not holding ideas about what is objective and what is honest, its just noticing what is there happening. When you drop all labels and ideas about honesty and truth you as the one looking can be noticing more directly through yourself without any ideas about why it is happening. When you do this, you can open and expand deeper into a more conscious field of awareness and connection to other life.

I was walking through Fitzroy (Melbourne) yesterday, it was busy and crowded. A fairly muscly guy with tatts and a strained kind of face, (just to give you the size of my bump and his facial expression as I saw it) bumped his big muscly arm into me as I walked by him. I said. "Oh I am sorry" even as I realized it wasn't me doing the bumping.. And then he said. "how are your going?" I said "I'm really good thanks" and we both walked in different directions.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-03-2018, 02:54 AM
Experiencer

Sounds like you got the mindfulness thing about non-judgmental observation down. That's something I should probably do more of. Just to rest in awareness, rather than constantly react with thoughts.

Nice story about the muscle guy you bumped into. Small acts of love like that comprise much of the good in life.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Sounds like you got the mindfulness thing about non-judgmental observation down. That's something I should probably do more of. Just to rest in awareness, rather than constantly react with thoughts.

Nice story about the muscle guy you bumped into. Small acts of love like that comprise much of the good in life.

I try my best and I love trying my best in this way of being now.

Yes I notice myself as everything, so I am the small acts of love when I surrender to that moment without judgement or attachment and it really shows me the power to open people to something small in themselves too most unexpectedly.. Big ones are of course part of the picture but small is good for those who are big in statue sometimes..hehe.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:

In my case alone this is codswallop. I could take each statement and show
how either it doesn't apply and the opposite may be the case.

Lack of love is an illusion? Well you could claim that anything or lack of it
is illusion. My not having a Lamborghini is an illusion. Having a VW Polo is an
illusion. Lack of a warm day is an illusion.

Lack of love is just what it is. It can be freeing to some while
a real concern to others who need it. As you move toward Self it becomes less
relevant.

The person who said this may well but I feel none of these things except maybe
intermittently. Oblivion would give me the heebie-jeebies but I don't believe in it.
My belief may be misplaced but I won;t find out until the day comes.

I feel the suffering of others but my response is (honestly) conditional like whether they
bring it on themselves.
Separation? Yes, separation from my parents when "come what may" will
cause me great sorrow but not fear. And I'm not guilty. One of the benefits of
spiritual development is you don't put yourself in a position where you can be
found guilty.

But there it is, just me. ACIM is liked and seems to be a classic of its kind
for those looking toward spiritual development and have yet to start on a path
or suspect they've been led up a blind alley and need to sort themselves out.
It isn't without it's slant that may not suit everyone.

I haven't read it but it comes recommended. A big read though.
There seem to be several books with the title A Course in Miracles. How they
relate I haven't had time to check.
Go for the ACIM one if at all. Have a look at the introductory volume to see if
it suits.

Last edited by Lorelyen : 04-03-2018 at 09:50 AM.