Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Guide
Do you have any phobias left over from past lives?

..Or even strange obsessions, and inexplicable loves for certain things (could be a specific type of music, dress etc), or extreme reactions to certain smells-- smells which are not linked to any memory in this life?

I know many of these things are just random, or possibly a form of ancestral/genetic memory, but I think some are spirit or past life-related.

For instance, I was deeply religious in more than one life. Definitely Catholic at some point. (the ascetic, isolated type, locked up in a little room, always writing or euphorically praying). Once I smelled a perfume blend that was based on flowers and resins sacred to the virgin Mary. The instant I smelled it I was crumpled into a sobbing heap. (frankincense and myrrh combined with rose and lily of the valley) I am not officially religious in this life, though I do still feel a strong connection to and love of all forms and archetypes of Mary, especially Mary of Guadalupe. I did not grow up around many catholics or catholic churches or imagery, either, so it's odd.

But phobias seem to be the most common remnants from past lives. My biggest one is probably car wrecks. (Specifically, I am afraid of being in a car on a long bridge--low, not very elevated-- over a lake, getting hit by an oncoming car, and careening into the water, drowning. I cannot drive without constantly seeing this.)

Also guns.. not guns themselves, but gunshots. If someone is near me outside shooting a gun, it doesn't rattle me much, but if it's in an indoor shooting range for example, I have a complete meltdown inwardly. Each shot is like a trigger which makes me momentarily forget who I am. (Not rifles, just shotguns.) Pretty sure I was shot by a man in a past life, unexpectedly, while I was in my house. In another I was a child in a village that was attacked suddenly.

What about y'all?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Master
Hi Unseelie! I totally feel that phobia thing.

Riding over bridges in a car - I have been terrified since childhood... but not just that - its getting eaten... driving off a bridge and being eaten by a shark...

I know that's really far fetched but I grew up in Florida - and most kids I knew were not scared of sharks like I was... I was TERRIFIED my whole life... I lived there over 20 years and only ever saw one once.

The smells... yes, Déjà vu all my life that I haven't been able to explain.

I have always had memories that I cant place... remembered places I have never been...

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Deactivated Account
Good question and an intriguing one...

I believe so... A fear of falling to my 'death'... It seems to be deeply ingrained within me and I suspect it's likely past-lifetime related...
Old 13-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Guide
Moon Glow, I am confident that you will not get eaten by a shark in this life! Thankfully such things seem to be extremely rare..
Oh, yes, the deja vu-- I get that also. What triggers them for you? For me, it's certain old songs and places (well, photos of places. Castles in Ireland, Greece, Croatia, old cathedrals in Spain, temple ruins in the middle east, and parts of central & eastern Europe, particularly Poland and Romania.)

Wolfgaze, do you remember what you might have fallen off of before? Some very steep rocky cliff, or?

Oh! Just remembered one of my weirder mystery phobias-- butterflies. I can tolerate them now, but for as long as I can remember they terrified me. The butterflies themselves are not scary-- it's as though seeing one pokes at some distant awful memory.
Old 13-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Master
Ah yes - the deja vu is usually from traveling - seeing places - photos of places - foods, smells, sounds... mostly places though.

I just remembered a totally irrational fear I had as a child. Until I was about 12 - this is going to sound so weird - I was terrified of aboriginal cave drawings. When I was about 4 we went the Museum of Natural History in DC and between the dinosaurs and the cave drawings I flipped out and spent the rest of the afternoon on a carousel... I also found some comfort in one of those red, white and blue rocket popsicles haha.

I was also terrified of being eaten by wild dogs when I was little, I remember calling them the "bad dogs". Someone had a pack of dogs down the road from our house and when they would start barking it terrified me... I would get visions of them chasing me and eating me.

I guess I have pretty big fear of being eaten?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 13-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Pathfinder

I'm afraid of bugs, especially cockaroaches they gross me out so much. My house had a german cockaroach infestation once when I was a teen and it scarred me for life. I can still feel things crawl on me when I think about it.

I love animals, the furry kinds are the best. Everytime I went to the zoo or an animal farm with my family I would give every animal there attention and couldn't help but touch them all. I also own a few cats who cuddle with me now and then.
Old 14-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Guide
I do have my phobias due to past lives but the biggest one I have is the fear of the ocean because of a past life.. In that life I was a fisherman and I was out at sea with other fishermen and one of the fishermen is now my mother in this life and me and her in that life both died out at sea during a storm but we died by getting eaten by sharks.
eyes ablaze with intensity,
a labyrinth of her deepest emotions.

Old 16-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Master
Yes! Open water for sure seems to be terrifying to a lot of us!

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 16-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Experiencer
Not necessarily a phobia per se, but I've had social anxiety for a decent amount of my life that I couldn't figure out the source of. I never felt totally safe around others - still don't entirely, but have made progress - and felt that even just one was capable of being physically overpowering. It was a struggle for a long time, and a big factor that helped me understand it was revisiting the most recent past life of mine, where I had been murdered by a group of about five. Just knowing where it came from helped take off a lot of pressure, and I've been able to make a lot of progress by remembering the event is over now. It's a bit like treating mild PTSD, honestly.

For the longest time I've also had a deep fascination with tribal cultures. Native American, African, and especially rainforest ones such as in the Amazon. It was the predominant culture I was drawn to, and it took me a while to discover why I was. I had belonged to more than one in my lifetimes, with very pleasant experiences from those lives.

Phobias I feel aren't necessarily the most common remnants, just the ones that get the most attention from the afflicted. If someone is very interested in Japan, for example, they're going to be more likely to say it's because they like the aesthetics or values, and not necessarily realize that they like those things because they used to live there. Whereas if they have a fear of cars, it stands out more. Especially if there is no past event in this life to attribute it to, and that will get them wondering if it might be carryover from the past. Generally, it is also the parts of the soul that are hurting that are more likely to be carried over; things like being comforted by the presence of vintage furniture seems to be brought over as a way for the spirit to be more comfortable in the present, or possibly to act as gateways to uncovering past lives that do have hurting aspects to deal with. An example would be if someone was drawn to an African tribe past life, and they explored it to see if they lived there. They discover they did, and in the meantime also discover it was influenced negatively by a missionary, which then reveals to them their source of aversion to religious figures.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."
Old 17-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Guide
Well, in my original post I asked about others' inexplicable loves and connections, too, as those can be just as formative I'm sure.

I have a similar thing regarding never feeling totally safe around others, as mine is also possibly linked to my being murdered in more than one past life. I've wondered if it has anything to do with my lifelong anxiety while falling asleep. A fear of falling asleep just seems strange to me.

I can relate to the fascination with tribal cultures, too. I like to collect rare recordings of traditional folk songs and lullabies sung within villages that are still unmodernized; the lullabies, especially cause an extreme emotional reaction, possibly because I've died as a child (and also while in/after childbirth as a mother) quite a lot.
Funny you mention vintage furniture; it is indeed very comforting! To me anyway. Late Victorian-1930s furniture, old clothes and dolls from those eras are immensely comforting for me.

I also am obsessed with seaside castles (well, not giant castles per se; old stone tower houses rather) in Ireland and Scotland. I know I will eventually find the ones (there have been two I think) I lived in or near before. I think I did once find the one I had killed myself in while distraught and waiting for my husband; it is now a "rental castle", of course. In photos online, it matched the layout in my head.