Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 AM
Administrator
'ego nullus diutius terror'

some interesting things about ego.

ego.. here w-ego again.... in other words ego is constantly on the move, to still the mind first still ego through observation and as if you were looking at it from a distance or outside the box, all you will do is laugh at its antics to trick you

I listened to a talk last night that compared the ego to a 'stealth bomber', in that it cannot always be picked up on the inner radar.

It was also compared to a mosquito. You think you have it between your palms and then when you open them - it is no longer there. It is 'out there'! Ready to get you again!!

Ego the great houdini the master of disguise.
God bless us all and protect us from its machinations.

'ego nullus diutius terror' (in brackets for googling)
Latin for... 'I no longer fear'.
Its a strange coincidence that the English letter I is associated with the word ego in Latin !!!
Its also alarming to see the word terror in the same sentence as ego.
Could this be ego terror.
It Sends shivers down my spine

A dying ego

My thoughts...
An uncharted mind is controled by the ego through fear and is always in constant battle for recognition or identiy of self, it uses the mind as a creative tool to create a world of illusion based on the fear of the unkown... your real identity, which is the first real death. There are many other livable deaths such as desire, anger, lust, and most other recognised sins that humans are capable of that come and go with the wims of the egotic mind. It is easy for me to write down, but the ego never realy dies, just as one goes from one situation in life to another, where all posible exists are blocked, there is only one way to go... straight through your worst fears... a dying ego. You still live, but with a new perspective on life and one that is liberating. Just before the ego 'dies' there is a darkness, total fear, complete hoplessness, unbelivable lonleyness, just imagine the worst case of depression and that wont come close to it. You then end up giving in to everything and allowing every aspect of your 'ego itentity' to disolve. I can only describe the after effect as a silence, a stillness, an emptyness. a nothingness, peace and tranquility and above all a sence of endless compassion and love that can not be denied or held. Words cant give it credit realy but I am 100% sure of the experience.

Welcome to the spiritual death that Jesus spoke of: "At first you will be disturbed, then you will be amazed, and then you will reign over all."

You met the "Nothing". No you, no God, no anything within you. You will need guidance from no one now. You are free of yourself, and as for the ego, you see it for what it is not.
I have found that "I" am but the "Awareness" of this "moment" of "Now". You will find that is Heaven.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Experiencer

The ego begins early on with the assumption of separation and ends up with the idea that you think that you think. And EVERYTHING within that dynamic unconscious process gives you a perception of a reality you believe to be primary. Once that experience collapses an authentic state remains yet can still play pretend and patty cake when its wants too.
Old 16-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Knower
What is the ego? A great question!

The ego has become villainized because people do not understand it's purpose and function. Due to this lack of understanding people have made the situation that much more murky by applying their judgements to that which they do not understand there by enlarging that which they say they are trying to lessen.

My understanding of ego is the perpetually reverberating echo of consciousness which develops due to the false perception we have of ourselves (limitation) to being limited, to being enclosed or encased within our bodies.

This illusionary creation of limited being, creates the illusory being of ego.

Consciousness at the fundamental level is infinitely expansive but it can also contract to experience "as if". For instance the experience of "as if I were John Smith". Fundamental consciousness knows it is not John Smith and so the ego is necessary for John Smith to exist but John Smith is only seeming.
Old 21-01-2020, 12:58 AM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1wakesup
The ego begins early on with the assumption of separation and ends up with the idea that you think that you think. And EVERYTHING within that dynamic unconscious process gives you a perception of a reality you believe to be primary. Once that experience collapses an authentic state remains yet can still play pretend and patty cake when its wants too.

Awesome expression!!
Old 23-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Master

One of the earliest uses of the word ‘ego’ came from the Ancient Greek . . . and was the phrase ‘Ego Eimi’ . . . which was a use or phrase meaning ‘I am’ or ‘I exist.’

‘Ego’ is a word to suggest the ‘I-ness’ of and within the individual. The basic sensation of ‘I-ness’ is used to give the individual enough of a sense of value that it wishes to survive . . . as in . . . I wish to survive. The individual does not think of ‘You’ wish to survive when thinking of and from the Self. The individual does not think of ‘They’ wish to survive when considering the survival of Self. The sensation of ‘I-ness’ was given the word ‘Ego’ to carry the accepted understanding of Self within the Self. With or without the word ‘Ego’ . . . the sensation prevails. We tend to use the word in reference to the sense of ‘ I ‘ . . . or Self.

From just the sensation of ‘ I ‘ . . . all the rest is a mental spin . . . a mental conjuration . . . an attempt to understand Self . . . to define it . . . to label it . . . to find fault with or a reason for.

Other threads on the board of our need for explanations . . . how to ‘kill’ ego . . . all the jabberings of the mind to come to terms with the understanding and awareness of Self . . . with the world around the individual.

The entire battle for or against Ego is a perfect example of what the mind can do when allowed to endlessly spin out of control. Ego is a necessary sensation / awareness. What the mental understanding of this sensation is or is not . . . is truly amazing to observe. A healthy ego is just fine . . . and is of value while in these worlds. An exaggerated, demanding, controlling ego through OUR own personal set of beliefs, values, opinions, etc . . . taken into our own personal consciousness through our acceptance of said beliefs . . . whether we wanted to accept them or not . . . we still accepted them into our personal viewpoint and now consider them detrimental. Few consider the ‘ego’ to be beneficial.

If one does not want to continue with the detrimental beliefs and such . . . then change them. That is certainly a major part of the overall search for Truth. But the attempt to ‘kill’ the sense of Self . . . is rather futile. There is always the sense of ‘I-ness’ to the sense of Self . . . even in the far reaches of the Path. It is . . . however . . . something that most everyone will attempt to succeed at . . . at one time or another . . . to kill that ego . . . to kill that sense of Self. If someone wishes to try and live their life with no sense of ‘I-ness’ . . . have a great time with it. If someone wishes to try and live their life with an improved, balanced, beneficial, healthy, humble, patient sense of Self and ease up on one’s affections for environment and possessions . . . letting go of the identification of love for this world and things within it while understanding that these same ‘things’ can be used in a neutral and non-commanding manner . . . you may find some answers you’ve been looking for.

I’m not in this to bicker. Dismiss any and all you rigidly disagree with.

On we go.
Old 23-01-2020, 11:43 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorkchop
One of the earliest uses of the word ‘ego’ came from the Ancient Greek . . . and was the phrase ‘Ego Eimi’ . . . which was a use or phrase meaning ‘I am’ or ‘I exist.’

‘Ego’ is a word to suggest the ‘I-ness’ of and within the individual. The basic sensation of ‘I-ness’ is used to give the individual enough of a sense of value that it wishes to survive . . . as in . . . I wish to survive. The individual does not think of ‘You’ wish to survive when thinking of and from the Self. The individual does not think of ‘They’ wish to survive when considering the survival of Self. The sensation of ‘I-ness’ was given the word ‘Ego’ to carry the accepted understanding of Self within the Self. With or without the word ‘Ego’ . . . the sensation prevails. We tend to use the word in reference to the sense of ‘ I ‘ . . . or Self.

From just the sensation of ‘ I ‘ . . . all the rest is a mental spin . . . a mental conjuration . . . an attempt to understand Self . . . to define it . . . to label it . . . to find fault with or a reason for.

Other threads on the board of our need for explanations . . . how to ‘kill’ ego . . . all the jabberings of the mind to come to terms with the understanding and awareness of Self . . . with the world around the individual.

The entire battle for or against Ego is a perfect example of what the mind can do when allowed to endlessly spin out of control. Ego is a necessary sensation / awareness. What the mental understanding of this sensation is or is not . . . is truly amazing to observe. A healthy ego is just fine . . . and is of value while in these worlds. An exaggerated, demanding, controlling ego through OUR own personal set of beliefs, values, opinions, etc . . . taken into our own personal consciousness through our acceptance of said beliefs . . . whether we wanted to accept them or not . . . we still accepted them into our personal viewpoint and now consider them detrimental. Few consider the ‘ego’ to be beneficial.

If one does not want to continue with the detrimental beliefs and such . . . then change them. That is certainly a major part of the overall search for Truth. But the attempt to ‘kill’ the sense of Self . . . is rather futile. There is always the sense of ‘I-ness’ to the sense of Self . . . even in the far reaches of the Path. It is . . . however . . . something that most everyone will attempt to succeed at . . . at one time or another . . . to kill that ego . . . to kill that sense of Self. If someone wishes to try and live their life with no sense of ‘I-ness’ . . . have a great time with it. If someone wishes to try and live their life with an improved, balanced, beneficial, healthy, humble, patient sense of Self and ease up on one’s affections for environment and possessions . . . letting go of the identification of love for this world and things within it while understanding that these same ‘things’ can be used in a neutral and non-commanding manner . . . you may find some answers you’ve been looking for.

I’m not in this to bicker. Dismiss any and all you rigidly disagree with.

On we go.

In the context of non-duality the sense of "I-ness" can't be ego because there are many egos. The sense of "I-ness" is Unity.

Taking it one step further the sense of 'I-ness' within 'me' is the same sense of 'I-ness' within 'you' Taking it one step further it's beyond the sense of 'I-ness' and is the exact same 'I'.

The sense of 'I-ness' within us all is the exact same One and only 'I'.
Old 23-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Master
The ego-body-mind, which includes thoughts are a function of the human nervous system.
Old 23-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
In the context of non-duality the sense of "I-ness" can't be ego because there are many egos. The sense of "I-ness" is Unity.

Taking it one step further the sense of 'I-ness' within 'me' is the same sense of 'I-ness' within 'you' Taking it one step further it's beyond the sense of 'I-ness' and is the exact same 'I'.

The sense of 'I-ness' within us all is the exact same One and only 'I'.
What you are saying is that the I, which is the ego is conscious/aware, can't be further away from the truth.
Old 23-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
What you are saying is that the I, which is the ego is conscious/aware, can't be further away from the truth.
Since the above can't be any further away from the truth, the above is a part of conditioning. This is why knowing what is conditioning your mind is important. I know you will probably not understand this. And that is fine. But another reader might understand what I am talking about. What you do not realize is that you are spreading and promoting conditioning.
Old 23-01-2020, 12:49 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80

What I'm saying is the "I", the true "I", is singular. Since there are many egos an individual ego, one out of many egos, cannot be the singular "I".

This is non-dualism. One, not many.