Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 13-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Yes, we do have similar experiences happening in our past.

During my late teens, I really got into the music of George Harrison...He was my idol and spiritual muse.

I managed to pick up a copy of the Radha Krishna Temple Album and had it playing non stop for months. After which, I managed to get a tape of Benediction Moon, which had Prabhupada singing on it and I would chant the Maha Mantra for ages..this led me to visit the Govinda Temple in Darlinghurst, Sydney..where the twice weekly prasadam visit led to me staying there, studying the Srimad Bhagavatam and the collected works of Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami.

During that time, I honestly thought I loved Lord Krishna and I really TRIED to, but whenever I heard about the passtimes of Lord Shiva or saw His image, I totally lost it inside. It didn't take long for me to discover who my Ishta Devata REALLY was...and this was also the first time I was actually able to apply Vishishtadvaita to Shaivism... through the Hare Krishna movement, of all things...but after that realisation and subsequent humiliation, I knew it was time to move on.

With much trepidation as a nineteen year old seeker, I approached the Theosophical Society in Kent St, Sydney and attended a lecture there...It was at that lecture I was given a cassette tape by Geoffrey Hodson (about a month before he passed on) all about Kundalini..and it wasn't long before I found myself at the Adyar library, checking out a copy of The Serpent Power and Shakta and Shakti by Sir John Woodroffe and The Secret Doctrine by HPB as well as finding "The Tibetan Book of The Great Liberation" (Maha Nirvana Tantra) by Evans-Wentz...My reading material was secured for the next six months and the rest, as we say is history.

I eventually left the TS and followed Swami Satyananda for a while, before traveling back to Indonesia to learn Balinese Qi Gong (Yellow Bamboo) then came back to Australia, got married to a Hindu priest, joined the Divine Life Society and did my IYTA accreditation.

That's pretty much it.

I always find it interesting to hear where the paths of sincere seekers start and end. Your reading materials in many cases parallel mine.

I still have the 3-volume set of Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine on my book shelf. The "Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation" (translated by Evans-Wentz) was also one of my favorites. I found out about that from the American mystic, Joe Miller, who eventually moved on to Ramana Maharshi.

My own teacher, Ma Yoga Shakti, was an adept in Kundalini Yoga, so I didn't have to listen to Hodson's tape.

It's amazing how seekers eventually gravitate towards the same great souls.
Old 13-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalsun
Unable to get to ISKCON centre at this point, it is very far from my city. I have to walk on my own for now.Wheater it is right or not, no options for now.What do you think ?

You can study the Bhagavad Gita and contemplate it. If you have any questions, you can ask over here !

In the Gita, Krishna teaches about our basic identity, the Self, and the paths of yoga to rediscover it.

The Self, our Being, is awareness. - Sri Muruganar

Self-awareness tells you at every step what needs to be done. ~Nisargadatta Maharaj

If we continuously maintain self awareness, we will be able to experience peace and happiness. ~ Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi Devi).

If you can be in a state of constant self-awareness, you can experience peace and happiness, and at the same time know intuitively what to do. The Self or Awareness is thus the true Guru and teacher.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 14-01-2019, 01:23 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
You can study the Bhagavad Gita and contemplate it. If you have any questions, you can ask over here !

In the Gita, Krishna teaches about our basic identity, the Self, and the paths of yoga to rediscover it.

The Self, our Being, is awareness. - Sri Muruganar

Self-awareness tells you at every step what needs to be done. ~Nisargadatta Maharaj

If we continuously maintain self awareness, we will be able to experience peace and happiness. ~ Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi Devi).

If you can be in a state of constant self-awareness, you can experience peace and happiness, and at the same time know intuitively what to do. The Self or Awareness is thus the true Guru and teacher.

Hello, ajay00,
Very useful advice, self-awareness. Thanks.
Old 14-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Master
Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb here...and I may fall off, but this is just boiling inside me:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sion-told.html

The Swamiji that I knew and loved would never have done this! Never!

I never knew/met Swami Akhandananda, so maybe he may have done those terrible things...but to associate Swami Satyananda with being a pedophile... NEVER! He was the meekest, humblest and wisest man I ever met and I cannot believe he would even have that capability!

Do you know what I think? I think that certain people were against the Swami, what he taught and believed in, so they couldn't find any other way to discredit him, but to make up such perverse LIES and collusion is a very powerful thing... especially in the eyes of the law.

Have one person say: "Swamiji raped me" and justice would demand evidence..have two or more disgruntled ashramites who have been secretly meeting in private to "get their stories straight" say "I was there to witness this and he also did that to me TOO" and suddenly, the justice system will take it more seriously and before long, the Swami's reputation is ruined..He faces criminal charges and then disappears off the face of the planet...mission accomplished!

I have also noticed similar things happening with disgruntled employees after they get fired...they find others who have been fired...have meetings to "get their stories straight" and collude to bring down the boss and his business by making false accusations. I mean, Blind Freddy can SEE this is what is happening, but nothing can be said because there is no proof... because the word of half a dozen people who ACT as one, is stronger than the word of any single individual and that is what they use and hope for.

/rant

The ones alleging the misconduct report that other people were present, in the same room, and witnessed it. People who lie abut these things wouldn't make up stories of several witnesses, some of whom were complicit, in this way because such witnesses would discredit the lie, have alibis, etc. This is why the allegations seem credible to me.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The ones alleging the misconduct report that other people were present, in the same room, and witnessed it. People who lie abut these things wouldn't make up stories of several witnesses, some of whom were complicit, in this way because such witnesses would discredit the lie, have alibis, etc. This is why the allegations seem credible to me.
Well, after making that post, I did some digging.. including reading the whole transcript.. especially the one (APR) in which the "victim" states that she was too young to remember any of it, but in a dream, somebody resembling Swami Satyananda, was on top of her, pinning her down, but she couldn't really be sure of any of that..That "victim" also has a history of severe mental illness...So allegations are ALL they are:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk:Satyananda_Saraswati

The fact is that charges were made against Swami Akhandananda and were dropped/overturned in 1991, after he served a 9 month prison sentence and also there was no proof to say that Swami Satyananda was involved in any of that, so it wasn't investigated any further...but the damage had already been done.

Quote:
The conviction of Akhananda was overturned in 1991, and this is the legal standing of the issue. Swami Satyananda was never convicted and in this case, the paragraph of controversy is considered slander.

Suffice to say, I went on looking and it appears that unless you have had claims and allegations made against you for "sexual impropriety", you just haven't "made it" as a Hindu Guru:

https://theyogalunchbox.co.nz/a-comp...ate-behaviour/

Even Swami Yogananda wasn't spared! None of them were!

I feel a bit better about it all now.
Old 14-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Master
My Higher Self has also weighed in on this matter..

It is very difficult for one to defend themselves AFTER they are dead. It is also difficult for one to remember where they were (provide an alibi) for any distinct date back in the 1970's.

The allegations against Swami Satyananda were said to have occurred in Bihar, India, back in the 1970's, so even if the alleged victim said there was a "room full of witnesses" (as heresay), finding any that would still be alive, be willing to testify and extradited to Australia for the Royal Commission would be a HUGE ask and task, especially in a country with such a massive population.

Also, the truth is in the amount of "compensation" being sought.. especially if the net worth of the Mutt (institution) is considerably lucrative. If these alleged victims just went on public record as saying that these things actually happened, but sought no financial recompense..often totalling in the millions, their stories would be more believable..but all I can say is "what an EASY way to make money without having to work for it".

Suffice to say, the Mangrove Ashram is now up for sale for 3.4 million dollars and the tabloids would have you believe that this is going towards a"victim payout" when there weren't even any convictions (upon dead men) even made..I mean, how can they charge someone who is no longer on the scene? this is perfect!

Truth be told, the reason why the Ashram closed and is now up for sale, is because nobody ever went there anymore after all this happened..The Ashram (and all of Satyananda's books) were boycotted, no money was coming in anymore and the upkeep on that extensive property became no longer financially viable.

Remember Swami Satyananda the way that YOU remember, because what other people have to say, especially when it can NOT be proven, makes no difference...to many though, it will..but search your own heart for the truth and you will know it.
Old 14-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Well, after making that post, I did some digging.. including reading the whole transcript.. especially the one (APR) in which the "victim" states that she was too young to remember any of it, but in a dream, somebody resembling Swami Satyananda, was on top of her, pinning her down, but she couldn't really be sure of any of that..That "victim" also has a history of severe mental illness...So allegations are ALL they are:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk:Satyananda_Saraswati

The fact is that charges were made against Swami Akhandananda and were dropped/overturned in 1991, after he served a 9 month prison sentence and also there was no proof to say that Swami Satyananda was involved in any of that, so it wasn't investigated any further...but the damage had already been done.

Suffice to say, I went on looking and it appears that unless you have had claims and allegations made against you for "sexual impropriety", you just haven't "made it" as a Hindu Guru:

https://theyogalunchbox.co.nz/a-comp...ate-behaviour/

Even Swami Yogananda wasn't spared! None of them were!

I feel a bit better about it all now.

I learned long ago to focus on the teachings and validate the teachings rather than focus on the personalities. Therefore, I am not as disappointed as many are when their guru's actual lifestyle is questioned. I am not surprised at times and very surprised at other times. It helps one to become more discerning. I fully realize that false allegations can arise for a variety of reasons. In any case, I've learned not to judge, but focus on the teachings with full understanding that, with many, it's "Do as I say but NOT as I do". As discoveries emerge, one simply accepts what is and decides how best to proceed, move on, etc.

Living in NYC, I spent time in my early years with a "guru" whose organization still exists today. Without naming him, there were sexual allegations raised against him. Even then , I did not judge but simply watched developments. Eventually, he directly conceded that he had fallen to sexual temptation despite wearing the orange sannyasi robes that indicated celibacy. Without judging, I moved on without talking further about that and eventually found a teacher known for her integrity. I watched closely over a period of 30 years or so in close proximity at times and never saw anything to suggest that she was anything other than what she presented. It is no wonder that she was proclaimed the "Maha Acharya" of India at a Khumba Mela. Her integrity was awesome and refreshing in a world where many "spiritual gurus" are most assuredly not what they present as being. In any case, even those "spiritual gurus" can be helpful ..... up to a point .... but the side effects of their lack of integrity can indeed be very devastating for those who mistakenly worshiped the facade.
Old 14-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I learned long ago to focus on the teachings and validate the teachings rather than focus on the personalities. Therefore, I am not as disappointed as many are when their guru's actual lifestyle is questioned. I am not surprised at times and very surprised at other times. It helps one to become more discerning. I fully realize that false allegations can arise for a variety of reasons. In any case, I've learned not to judge, but focus on the teachings with full understanding that, with many, it's "Do as I say but NOT as I do". As discoveries emerge, one simply accepts what is and decides how best to proceed, move on, etc.

Living in NYC, I spent time in my early years with a "guru" whose organization still exists today. Without naming him, there were sexual allegations raised against him. Even then , I did not judge but simply watched developments. Eventually, he directly conceded that he had fallen to sexual temptation despite wearing the orange sannyasi robes that indicated celibacy. Without judging, I moved on without talking further about that and eventually found a teacher known for her integrity. I watched closely over a period of 30 years or so in close proximity at times and never saw anything to suggest that she was anything other than what she presented. It is no wonder that she was proclaimed the "Maha Acharya" of India at a Khumba Mela. Her integrity was awesome and refreshing in a world where many "spiritual gurus" are most assuredly not what they present as being. In any case, even those "spiritual gurus" can be helpful ..... up to a point .... but the side effects of their lack of integrity can indeed be very devastating for those who mistakenly worshiped the facade.
Thank you for the advice and it reminds me of a story..

I am not sure if this one came from Buddhism or Hinduism...or who the Guru was...It was a story I heard long ago.. details are rather sketchy now..

There once was a wandering medicant who decided to set up residence for a while in a local village..

After a while, the daughter of the leader of that village became pregnant to a lower caste boy...they were lovers, but their marriage was forbidden.

When the pregnancy was discovered by her parents, they were angered and demanded to know who the father was...she pointed her finger at the wandering sanyasi..."he did it" she said.

So, the villagers all went on a "witch hunt" to the camp of the monk and he was brought before the leader who accused him of making his daughter pregnant and read out a list of charges...to which, the only thing the monk said was "is that so?"

Angered, the village leader threw him in jail and he languished there for about a year.

After all this time was spent in jail, the boyfriend of the girl became wracked with guilt about an innocent man going to jail for something he did...He couldn't sleep anymore and so, he approached the parents of the girl and told them the truth...about how he and their daughter made plans to blame the monk for her pregnancy..and he was the one who should have been sent to jail..

With that, the leader went to the jail, released the monk and apologised profusely...He told the monk he was innocent because the real father of the Child came forward to claim paternity...All the monk said..You guessed it "is that so?"

To show how sorry the villagers were, a party was arranged in his honour...they went to gather the monk to invite him as their honoured guest, but he had already left town.
Old 14-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Thank you for the advice and it reminds me of a story..

I am not sure if this one came from Buddhism or Hinduism...or who the Guru was...It was a story I heard long ago.. details are rather sketchy now..

There once was a wandering medicant who decided to set up residence for a while in a local village..

After a while, the daughter of the leader of that village became pregnant to a lower caste boy...they were lovers, but their marriage was forbidden.

When the pregnancy was discovered by her parents, they were angered and demanded to know who the father was...she pointed her finger at the wandering sanyasi..."he did it" she said.

So, the villagers all went on a "witch hunt" to the camp of the monk and he was brought before the leader who accused him of making his daughter pregnant and read out a list of charges...to which, the only thing the monk said was "is that so?"

Angered, the village leader threw him in jail and he languished there for about a year.

After all this time was spent in jail, the boyfriend of the girl became wracked with guilt about an innocent man going to jail for something he did...He couldn't sleep anymore and so, he approached the parents of the girl and told them the truth...about how he and their daughter made plans to blame the monk for her pregnancy..and he was the one who should have been sent to jail..

With that, the leader went to the jail, released the monk and apologised profusely...He told the monk he was innocent because the real father of the Child came forward to claim paternity...All the monk said..You guessed it "is that so?"

To show how sorry the villagers were, a party was arranged in his honour...they went to gather the monk to invite him as their honoured guest, but he had already left town.

That's a great Buddhist story that I have heard before, but I like it so much that it's good to hear it again. (My recollection of the story is slightly different, but the differences are not significant and the stories are essentially the same.)
Old 15-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Master

Kundalini risings is accompanied by high sexual urges. It is important at this point to practice austerities, meditation to transform the heightened sexual energy into higher states of consciousness.

Exercise systems and rigorous physical work is also helpful, along with a disciplined lifestyle.

Some are not able to contend with this heightened energy or understand it, and this is why you find instances of sexual abuse or paedophilia in almost every religion.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon