Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 24-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Uma - thank you for contributing this post. Hopefully it will generate some feedback here.
The reason I started this thread though was to share breaking spiritual news (not ideas or courses), i.e. that is generated/made available to the general public.

Understand - but that's where the news starts isn't it?
Old 24-07-2012, 03:06 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Understand - but that's where the news starts isn't it?

That's where the journey starts. The news is the end product/conclusion - if it is found valid i.e. of interest to the media.
(In case you're unsure where I stand on this - I am not here to support the media as such, just to celebrate that we have managed to get spirituality into mainstream news, that's all).

Old 24-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Master
enough chit chat...more NEWS!!!
Old 24-07-2012, 06:58 PM
amy green

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
enough chit chat...more NEWS!!!

Well do something spectacular then and I'll get on to the journalists!

Old 25-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Master
"Psychology is grounded in the scientific method" - questionable to say the least. Many of the original studies looked at specific groups and then applied the results to general populations. Sociology makes the same mistake. It assumes a model, then bases research on that model.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:29 AM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
"Psychology is grounded in the scientific method" - questionable to say the least. Many of the original studies looked at specific groups and then applied the results to general populations. Sociology makes the same mistake. It assumes a model, then bases research on that model.

I agree that, as sciences, they are at the more dubious end of this spectrum.

I see you're coming over to the greenside in your text - well, we both share an affinity with nature!

Old 25-07-2012, 11:37 AM
amy green

24th July Science News

Mindfulness meditation reduces loneliness in older adults, study shows

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0724115023.htm

[edited to insert link]
Old 25-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Master
MBSR is an expropriation of one of the components in the 8-fold path of the 4 noble truths of Buddhism. Western psychology has taken it out of its context. That's like removing one step from a formula. It can't work. That's why MBSR is only useful for stress reduction, for a very superficial kind of healing. But at least Jon Kabbat-Zinn (who developed it) opened a crack in the mainstream to let some light in.

The links I sent will lead you to researcher-activists who are trying to reclaim mindfulness and other things Western scientists have stolen from the East.

I don't agree that "news" only comes from journalists. This is the propaganda that the media would like us to believe.
Old 25-07-2012, 01:50 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
MBSR is an expropriation of one of the components in the 8-fold path of the 4 noble truths of Buddhism. Western psychology has taken it out of its context. That's like removing one step from a formula. It can't work. That's why MBSR is only useful for stress reduction, for a very superficial kind of healing. But at least Jon Kabbat-Zinn (who developed it) opened a crack in the mainstream to let some light in.

The links I sent will lead you to researcher-activists who are trying to reclaim mindfulness and other things Western scientists have stolen from the East.

I don't agree that "news" only comes from journalists. This is the propaganda that the media would like us to believe.

Whilst I understand your point, you can't expect the general public to embrace Buddhism full on. The above study shows the benefits from applying mindfulness meditation on the elderly, i.e. that it is effective in alleviating their loneliness. So how can you knock that?

Where do I say that spiritual news should only come from journalists? The news I provide here comes from the website I give in my OP, i.e. Science News - check it out. Also, I welcome other contributions to what constitutes current spiritual news. Any beneficial spiritual news propagated by the media is welcome in my eyes, i.e. it gets read by the general public at large.

Lastly, I hardly think jounalists are involved in propaganda when it comes to publishing the positive side of spirituality....do you?

Old 25-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Whilst I understand your point, you can't expect the general public to embrace Buddhism full on.

Or maybe I can Mainstream science seems to expect the general public to embrace it full on. It's just a neither dogma that capitalists and governments worship (for now). Ever heard of Ptolemy? In the middle ages the general public (because of Ptolemy's science, the church, and rulers) accepted as fact that the sun (in fact the whole universe) revolved around the earth. Then Galileo came along and said, no, the earth resolves around the sun. He was put in jail for daring to suggest this. Yes I believe that our world views can change. I also believe they will change and are already changing.

Quote:
The above study shows the benefits from applying mindfulness meditation on the elderly, i.e. that it is effective in alleviating their loneliness. So how can you knock that?

Was I knocking it? Read what I wrote. I said it only impacts on healing at a superficial level. Same with allopathic medicine. It's a bandaid solution. The greater healing comes from a spiritual space - and the ancients knew the whole formula for doing that. Allopathic medicine is great for emergencies though but it's missing the deeper knowledge.

Quote:
Where do I say that spiritual news should only come from journalists? The news I provide here comes from the website I give in my OP, i.e. Science News - check it out. Also, I welcome other contributions to what constitutes current spiritual news. Any beneficial spiritual news propagated by the media is welcome in my eyes, i.e. it gets read by the general public at large.

You reacted when I posted news items from academic sources. You wrote "The reason I started this thread though was to share breaking spiritual news (not ideas or courses), i.e. that is generated/made available to the general public." You seem to see a difference between newspapers and academic sources for "breaking news". The true breaking news happens not only on the street but in field research and is reported differently. If you actually looked at the links I gave, you will see they are not about courses (although some are available) but about conferences. There you will find the most up to date information about spiritual news. What we get from the media is a watered down, censored version and it is behind the times.

Quote:
Lastly, I hardly think jounalists are involved in propaganda when it comes to publishing the positive side of spirituality....do you?

Yes - knowingly or not. The media is controlled by capitalist interests which is tied into politics. They bow to their sponsors. There used to be some wonderful spiritual magazines that existed by donation only and published some really great stuff - alas they could not survive financially. And I know one publisher who admitted she had to sell out to her sponsor's commercial interests - which degraded the quality of the magazine until it no longer carried any spiritual content.

I should also mention that some publishers mean well but they do not have the full knowledge although they speak/write as though they do. Everyone thinks they are right (righteous) from their limited point of view.

The day we can no longer debate "breaking news" is a sad day for free speech. Ex. "breaking news": "Christopher Columbus Discovers America" - well here's the truth, it was already discovered by indigenous people thousands of years before. That's no different to Kabat-Zinn and spinoffs "discovering" the health benefits of mindfulness.