Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Eelco

I was reading the abhidhamma today.
Apperantly the animal realm is part of the woefull planes. Above hell but below the realm of hungry ghosts.
It is possible for animals to create good karma and be reborn in a better realm. The reason the animal re alm stands so low is that there is little to no opportunity for bettering ones rebirthing cycle.

If you google for abbhidhama one of the links is for a free downloadable book by bhikku bodhi.

With love
Old 18-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
catsquotl,
How very sad that whoever wrote those words/doctrines had no better awareness....
Old 18-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Eelco

Have you read the abhidhamma?
I think whoever wrote it was aware enough to describe an awfull lot about the nature of consciousness, reality even without judgement.

The reason the animal realm resides on the woefull plane is because animal life is hard and gives little opportunity to rise above it. Just look at our bio industry. There is no judgement there. Just a description of what is. But look for yourself..

https://store.pariyatti.org/Comprehe...ok_p_4362.html

With love
Old 19-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I was reading the abhidhamma today.
Apperantly the animal realm is part of the woefull planes. Above hell but below the realm of hungry ghosts.
It is possible for animals to create good karma and be reborn in a better realm. The reason the animal re alm stands so low is that there is little to no opportunity for bettering ones rebirthing cycle.

If you google for abbhidhama one of the links is for a free downloadable book by bhikku bodhi.

With love

From time to time my wife and myself take a dozen eggs and any surplus vegetables from the garden we have to the Thai temple for dana, I usually try to remember to dedicate some of the merit to the hens, I hope that it helps them a little bit.
Old 19-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Master
How can animals create anything but good Kamma, they do nothing wrong. They just do what animals do without intent...
Old 19-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Eelco

If I understand the Dhamma correctly it isn't through intent that kamma and rebirth come to be.
It is by the fact that our consciousness gives rise to name and form. Depending on name and form to become conscious. from that our six base senses arise, making contact, contact yielding feelings, feelings giving rise to craving, which is the base cause for clinging, which fosters being. and being results in another birth.

No self, no intentions, just this merry go round of dependend co-arising states.

If I understood correctly that is.
learned it here
Old 19-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Master
http://thubtenchodron.org/2011/06/un...-cause-effect/
This is quite a good explaination on Karma.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
If I understand the Dhamma correctly it isn't through intent that kamma and rebirth come to be.
It is by the fact that our consciousness gives rise to name and form. Depending on name and form to become conscious. from that our six base senses arise, making contact, contact yielding feelings, feelings giving rise to craving, which is the base cause for clinging, which fosters being. and being results in another birth.

No self, no intentions, just this merry go round of dependend co-arising states.

If I understood correctly that is.
learned it here
Old 19-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
How can animals create anything but good Kamma, they do nothing wrong. They just do what animals do without intent...

Hi Sky. We could probably say the same thing about children too but as you know occasionally a small child is bitten by a dog. Someone has to wear the bad karma for this one. After all, you don't get nothing for nothing in this world. I do agree with you that intention is very important but actions also have an effect regardless of the intention involved.
Old 19-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Hi Sky. We could probably say the same thing about children too but as you know occasionally a small child is bitten by a dog. Someone has to wear the bad karma for this one. After all, you don't get nothing for nothing in this world. I do agree with you that intention is very important but actions also have an effect regardless of the intention involved.

In my understanding ( mybe I am wrong ) it is intent/intentional action or ' cetana ' that reaps Kamma.
Regarding animals biting, I don't think they do it with intention to harm, animals usually bite because they feel threatened and biting is just a natural reaction, cause and effect so to speak.
This is just my opinion and how it makes sense to me, it is rather complicated, or mybe I have made it so myself...
Old 20-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Eelco

Hi Sky,

What else is Kamma but cause and effect.
Impersonal, trancient and dhukka.

I think Kamma is caused by intentional and unintentional behaviour.
All action is based on the conscious or unconscious mind .

One of the fundamental views in Buddhism is the principle of "dependent origination." This states that all phenomena, both subjective experiences and external objects, come into existence in dependence upon causes and conditions; nothing comes into existence uncaused.

Every action/phenomena has been caused and likewise is the cause of another phenomenon. Just that is what Kamma is. No judgement of the action involved. No system in place to see whether the action was intentional or not.

It is with that impartiallity to the cause of suffering that subsequent birth's are certain. The actions that are remembered at the time of death are (unfortunately) often the regrets we have about desire's we still have. Those desire's are what bring forth a new birth..

Pling,, 2cents