Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 25-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Enya

To get back to the original question... I think it does depend on the individual and their emotive state. For myself, I will use loud rock to get the blood pumping. I'll use alternative instrumentals for meditation or healing. I'll use good lyrics and ballads to support the day. I'll use classical for lifting my mood. I steer clear of most metal because it's too aggressive for me, but I can appreciate a decent base guitar and drums... loved AC/DC in the Iron Man films.

There are lots of studies proving the effects of music on the human, animal and plant psyche. Read about The Mozart Effect. Certain chords and keys in music can have a profound effect on us.

If you're depressed, don't listen to Barclay James Harvest - you'll be reaching for a razor. (some might do that anyway... lol) Emo bands echo the emotional turmoil of teens - my daughter listened to all sorts of emo and heavy metal stuff when she was 14-17. Still does, to some extent, along with classic 50s hits and an eclectic mix along the way...

After our daughter was born, I found I couldn't stand it when my hubby played the soundtrack of Terminator in the car... it literally made me feel sick. Being aware of what's going in your ears is every bit as important as what is taken in by the eyes and mouth, imho.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Neville

I wonder if it's like the old axiom "You are what you eat" only in this case it's "You are what you listen to" After all we do seem to be the product of our experiences .

Don't mind me , Just thinking aloud
Old 26-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali
thanks seazen and here its called freestyle and when 2 are competing its called a battle. its funny how gem thinks that we are still talking about the top 20 even though we have told him that indi or underground WILL NOT BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO so hes most likely never ever heard this stuff. Blondy can rap just like a tone def person can sing, and a tone def person may think that it sound good. so to the naked ear rock is rock no dif between a legend and a talentless cover band. no dif between krs-one and Blondy? do you know how ridiculous this sounds gem? you dont have to be right man, you dont, you can choose your battles

Your welcome mahakali. I also found that blondie reference ridiculous! I immediately thought of Salt and Peppa and how talented, erotically charged and passionate their rap song "Push it good, push it REAL good!" was. That was my absolute favorite female rap song! They beautifully and accurately expressed what I call the "Proactive Sexual Female Tigress" in their performance of that rap (What can I say...Im a guy )

Anyway, Blondie's rap pales in comparison to Salt and Peppa on all levels. IMO, it cant even compare.

Some of the lyrics from that Salt and Peppa song:
"yo yo yo yo baby baby, you come and give me a kiss, better make it fast or else Im gonna get pist, cant you hear the music pumping hard like I wish you would now push it... push it good.... PUSH IT REAL GOOD!"

Better yet, here is the video! And like the MC warns, "this dance aint for everybody! only the sexy people"! Not only can they rap sexy but they can dance sexy too! Love the way they thrust their hips when they say "push it"! Yaoza!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

Last edited by SeaZen : 26-11-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I wonder if it's like the old axiom "You are what you eat" only in this case it's "You are what you listen to" After all we do seem to be the product of our experiences .

Well neville, music can definitely bring out and encourage whatever is already inside you. That female rap song "push it" I described in my previous post brought out my love of the "female tigress". I think it can be that as well as what you described.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville

True, fanatics emulate the culture surrounding the music, and you know that rappers wear their hats crooked because if they went to straighten them their pants would fall down, and I don't know about you Nev but I'd perfer not to know which brand of underwear young men wear.

I was reared on beethoven Schubert and chopin until the age of 11 when I found Clapton, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles... which led to the discovery of all nature of authentic realistic rock music... and Don Maclean, James Taylor, Simon and GarfunKle, Cat Stevens and similar... and the blues artists to heavy rockers like ac/dc Deeppurple Led Zep.

I know my music and it isn't a matter of taste, it's a matter of class.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaZen
Well neville, music can definitely bring out and encourage whatever is already inside you. That female rap song "push it" I described in my previous post brought out my love of the "female tigress". I think it can be that as well as what you described.

Salt and Pepper 'sang' that.... (for want of a better word).
Old 26-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
True, fanatics emulate the culture surrounding the music, and you know that rappers wear their hats crooked because if they went to straighten them their pants would fall down, and I don't know about you Nev but I'd perfer not to know which brand of underwear young men wear.

I was reared on beethoven Schubert and chopin until the age of 11 when I found Clapton, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles... which led to the discovery of all nature of authentic realistic rock music... and Don Maclean, James Taylor, Simon and GarfunKle, Cat Stevens and similar... and the blues artists to heavy rockers like ac/dc Deeppurple Led Zep.

I know my music and it isn't a matter of taste, it's a matter of class.

What does "class" have to do with good music? Isnt that a personal judgment on your part? Please explain! You may know "your" music but thats because "you" selected it and it suits "your" taste. Who made "you" the authority on whats good and what isnt (other than for "yourself")? Also, what criteria do you use to make this determination? "Class" alone? Do explain Gem! We would all love to hear this!

BTW, most of the artists you mentioned (with the exception of Hendrix) were white boys influenced by black blues and rock n roll artists before them. Do you really think Eric Clapton and the Beatles etc. created their stuff without any influence and inspiration from their predecessors? Paul McCartney even admits that his singing style emulated Little Richard. John Lennon openly adulated and admitted his influence and "hero" was Chuck Berry. I noticed your list of artists and its all white with the exception of Hendrix. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our tastes, but thats all it is...tastes! Just an FYI, you have thus far failed to convince me and everyone else otherwise.

Last edited by SeaZen : 26-11-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 26-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Salt and Pepper 'sang' that.... (for want of a better word).

Really? How so? Do explain! We would all love to hear your "musical theorizing" in this regard! Making a blanket statement like that is, again, quite unconvincing and indicative of "personal taste" rather than legitimate analysis.
Old 26-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaZen
What does "class" have to do with good music? Isnt that a personal judgment on your part? Please explain! You may know "your" music but thats because "you" selected it and it suits "your" taste. Who made "you" the authority on whats good and what isnt (other than for "yourself")? Also, what criteria do you use to make this determination? "Class" alone? Do explain Gem! We would all love to hear this!

BTW, most of the artists you mentioned (with the exception of Hendrix) were white boys influenced by black blues and rock n roll artists before them. Do you really think Eric Clapton and the Beatles etc. created their stuff without any influence and inspiration from their predecessors? Paul McCartney even admits that his singing style emulated Little Richard. John Lennon openly adulated and admitted his influence and "hero" was Chuck Berry. I noticed your list of artists and its all white with the exception of Hendrix. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our tastes, but thats all it is...tastes! Just an FYI, you have failed to convince me and everyone else otherwise.

No it's not to do with me personally and there is alot of good music I don't like to listen to... but I recognise it has class.

The Blues artists which influenced them and chuck berry really played and really sang, and had real mastery over thier instruments, and by retaining or even exceeding that standard they knew what it took. Musicianship.

I dig heaps of black musicians too and just love the blues, like Buddy Guy, Albert King, BBking, Robert Johnson, Robert Cray, George Benson... And I can garuantee you of one certainty, every one I mention has alot of class.

"Today's music ain't got the same soul, so I like that old timer rock and roll" Bob Segar ( he could tell ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8
Old 26-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
No it's not to do with me personally and there is alot of good music I don't like to listen to... but I recognise it has class.

The Blues artists which influenced them and chuck berry really played and really sang, and had real mastery over thier instruments, and by retaining or even exceeding that standard they knew what it took. Musicianship.

I dig heaps of black musicians too and just love the blues, like Buddy Guy, Albert King, BBking, Robert Johnson, Robert Cray, George Benson... And I can garuantee you of one certainty, every one I mention has alot of class.

"Today's music ain't got the same soul, so I like that old timer rock and roll" Bob Segar ( he could tell ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8

You still havent explained what you mean by "class" when it comes to music. Is it a mastery of your musical instrument and/or voice? Is it a lack of expressing sexual innuendo in your songs? Is it achieving a certain level of financial gain? Is it dressing in a certain style of clothing? We cant continue this discussion until you explain yourself in this regard as we have no idea of what you are talking about when you say some music has "class" and others do not. Once again, I ask you to please explain yourself in this regard.