Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Massage

Old 29-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Experiencer
I double checked with my massage therapy school and so far massage is not contraindicated with high blood pressure, at least in Seedish Massage. We haven't learned deep muscle yet, that's in 2 more weeks so maybe it will be in that case, but its not with Swedish; it actually is beneficial to have a massage if you suffer from High BP.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie<3
I double checked with my massage therapy school and so far massage is not contraindicated with high blood pressure, at least in Seedish Massage. We haven't learned deep muscle yet, that's in 2 more weeks so maybe it will be in that case, but its not with Swedish; it actually is beneficial to have a massage if you suffer from High BP.
Light massage may be beneficial to some who have HBP, i.e. not deep massage.

Did you read Meadows post #15 previous page? She explains that massage is fine if HBP is due to stress but not if the cause is a heart condition/blood clots. This squares with my experience of being directly told by a massage therapist that HBP is not suitable for massage (she was obviously covering her back but it set alarm bells ringing), and what I have found on the internet....so many sites saying the same thing. GP advice should be sought first.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Experiencer
Right...we do not massage if its blood clots or a heart condition; without approval from clients MD. Sorry, I did not see meadows post...but that is correct.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Experiencer
I'm glad that I read this post. I have stress and diet induced high blood pressure. I've always wanted to get massage therapy, to help lower my stress.

"When the student is ready the teacher appears" quote origin The Buddha or Mabel Collins
Old 26-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Experiencer
I've learned Pfrimmer Deep Muscle Therapy and blood clots are contraindicated, however high blood pressure or heart condition the only difference is that you must start massaging the LEFT hand and arm first (instead of the right)
Old 29-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Ivy

Kylie, with respect, I would be very suspicious of wherever this information is coming from.

I've only studied anatomy and physiology up the level needed to be a massage therapist. I'm not a doctor, and will stand to be corrected. But the circulatory system flows all around both sides of the body. So there seems to be no logic based in the physiology of the body, that would cause massaging the left side first to make any difference at all.

So I would ask whoever told you this to clarify it with anatomical facts.
Old 29-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Mayflow

The best thing most people can do for their blood pressure is to consume less sodium and more potassium. Of course maintaining a healthy weight and getting exercise are beneficial as well. Incidentally, that is all true for people without blood pressure issues as well.
Old 18-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Master
gluten intolerance will affect blood pressure. in my opinion blood pressure is not really to do with the heart but the spleen. the spleen's meridian ends on the big toe, which is the furthest point from the heart, and so it governs energy flow, including blood, to the extremeties. dizzyness on standing is the spleen/pancreas. the spleen also affects the type and quality of blood, i.e. consistency etc.

it is not the heart that pumps the blood, but the "quality" of blood that allows the heart to pulsate at it's optimum rate- the blood pumps the heart.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 14-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Experiencer
Meadows,

You start on the left side if client has high BP or heart condition because you want to clear out the old blood and pump fresh blood thru the left ventricle. If you started on the right side you would over load the heart with too much blood too fast.
Old 14-08-2013, 03:29 AM
livingkarma

Well, I'm just glad I no longer have high blood pressure ...
HBP meds made me extremely sick to the point of not being able to function ...
The only alternative was to find other methods to resolve the issue ...
My massage therapist always starts on the left side; have never asked why ...
I drink apple cider vinegar, use Kyolic Garlic, fresh garlic & sea salt in my cooking ...
Exercise is daily yard work - the rain has brought a whole new crop of weeds to contend with ...
It would be nice to be rid of my diabetes ...