Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 16-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Ascender

Did the fraudulent mediums come first or did they come on the scene after the people with supposedly genuine gifts?

I am thinking of paying a visit to one church local to me but I confess Im very sceptical too.
Old 17-06-2015, 01:18 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
I am attracted to Spiritualism (have been for some time), but I have reservations due to its history of fraud, especially in its beginnings of table rappings and "spirit photography" (ie double exposures and old fashioned camera tricks). How prevalent is fraud in modern Spiritualism? Are there measures in place to prevent it?

treating spiritualism as some sort of religion, is sketchy, to me, honestly. It's natural, it's a part of you, it just "is". There should be no routine, or practice.Or the over-sensationalized "psychics" that dress up in those stereotypical gypsy clothing. They treat their abilities like a religion(not all), and identify with their ability.A self-entitled psychic would most likely take it ten times harder if their insight is wrong, and is prone to forgetting to see things from other perspectives.

Here's what also bemuses me. Some people who want to become "psychic" because of the false portrayal it has on t.v.

Cut the t.v off,that's one of the underlying issues, these days. All i'd hear is "i want to open up my pinael gland" on other forums...okay, for what? So you can play show and tell?Trying to stick your nose into people's business?This is not a game.

The ego messes up your psychic intuition, anyways. Instead, you get assumptions and self-projections.It happens, sometimes...especially if you're very use to seeing certain things from people.
Old 17-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Experiencer

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
I am attracted to Spiritualism (have been for some time), but I have reservations due to its history of fraud, especially in its beginnings of table rappings and "spirit photography" (ie double exposures and old fashioned camera tricks). How prevalent is fraud in modern Spiritualism? Are there measures in place to prevent it?

Hello!
I'm a very spiritual person. My ancestry is filled with such. However, that doesn't mean all is real and certain people won't try to defraud others. Scams exist in all forms and professions. We often hear of ambulance chasing lawyers and doctor defrauding insurance companies. That certainly doesn't mean that all are like those.
Houdini has always interested me. I enjoy his showmanship and his debunking of those that were out to rip off some believers.