Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Oh no, don't do as I say. I only said something from what you already mentioned. As you explored and came to focus on your breath that's your way of going. I wouldn't want to distract you from what you are already doing in any way, and I only comment on what you have already said yourself. It's probably better not to control the breath in any way - just breathe normally - because that allows you to simply feel the air coming in and going out of the body.

You already make excellent choices in how you have decided to go, so you can select your preference and stick with it, or perhaps work a combination such as starting with feeling the breath and moving on to feeling throughout the body. These are your ways you mentioned, and they are not my ways which I told you to do.

Yes, you are right. I just did what I think is more convenient for me. I always start deep breathing and exhaling, but in the end, this is done without me being aware of it.

When I do a "purpose" meditation, such as Chakra Cleansing, I do guided ones because I want to know how to do them (or having some inspiration how to do them), but mindfulness I can do it without any guide, just in silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If you can sit cross legged, that posture will be optimal in the long run. No need for fancy lotus legs of anything, a simple cross legs is fine. Of course if you sit like that for a while it will start to become uncomfortable. If there is a pain emerging somewhere, quietly and calmly adjust yourself slightly, very carefully and slowly, to find a little more comfort. Don't let the pain disturb 'you'. Just let it be there as a sensation.

Yes, now I try to change my position if I feel uncomfortable until I find one which is better for me.

I have some news by the way. Today I think I went a bit further and I have "dreamed" some times but just for some seconds, although these dreams where nothing significant. Idk if I felt asleep or I was on the verge of it. But yeah, this meditation went "faster" than the others.
Old 14-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Newbie ;)
Knower

Alpha wave Silva Method

Hello All,

Recently, I came across Alpha wave and Silva method for mediation. I also listened to couple of youtube videos from Sean Collins.

Has any one tried it and was successful?

I would like to do a practice with some one who is willing to help so that i know if I can do this correctly.

Thank you
Old 15-05-2018, 05:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesitant_man
Yes, you are right. I just did what I think is more convenient for me. I always start deep breathing and exhaling, but in the end, this is done without me being aware of it.

You don't have to breathe deeply or in any special way. You could just feel what the breath feels like as it already is. But sure, breath deep if that's what you decide to do.

Quote:
When I do a "purpose" meditation, such as Chakra Cleansing, I do guided ones because I want to know how to do them (or having some inspiration how to do them), but mindfulness I can do it without any guide, just in silence.

I don't know what a chakra meditation is, so I can't comment on that.

Quote:
Yes, now I try to change my position if I feel uncomfortable until I find one which is better for me.

Yea, just adjust a little bit carefully and slowly without being disturbed yourself.

Quote:
I have some news by the way. Today I think I went a bit further and I have "dreamed" some times but just for some seconds, although these dreams where nothing significant. Idk if I felt asleep or I was on the verge of it. But yeah, this meditation went "faster" than the others.

Sounds good.
Old 16-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Master
Hi hesitant_man,

I wouldn't worry about chakra cleaning or connecting to spirit guides or any of that stuff during meditation.

Here is a really good method of meditation that also includes scanning the body like Gem is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEj...mdyyln&index=0

After you get comfortable with doing this method and no longer need to listen to the tape for guidance. You can start to add energy practices to the beginning of your practice, before meditation.

Energy practices are what really help with hitting upon obstructions, the meditation allows for the silence to let go without being caught up in the issues/obstructions.

You want to be careful in which method you choose to do. Many can really mess you up.

When you are ready let me know and I can give you a few suggestions to start you off.

All the best,

Tom
Old 17-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
You don't have to breathe deeply or in any special way. You could just feel what the breath feels like as it already is. But sure, breath deep if that's what you decide to do.

Yeah, from now I will breathe as my body wants and will let it go automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don't know what a chakra meditation is, so I can't comment on that.

Well, I just have researched of several meditation methods and purposes, and appeared the chakra cleansing. I thought that it could help me to evolve spiritually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yea, just adjust a little bit carefully and slowly without being disturbed yourself.

Yeah, I just change if I feel ncomfortable, I just stand in the best position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Hi hesitant_man,

I wouldn't worry about chakra cleaning or connecting to spirit guides or any of that stuff during meditation.

Here is a really good method of meditation that also includes scanning the body like Gem is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEj...mdyyln&index=0

After you get comfortable with doing this method and no longer need to listen to the tape for guidance. You can start to add energy practices to the beginning of your practice, before meditation.

Energy practices are what really help with hitting upon obstructions, the meditation allows for the silence to let go without being caught up in the issues/obstructions.

You want to be careful in which method you choose to do. Many can really mess you up.

When you are ready let me know and I can give you a few suggestions to start you off.

All the best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your message. I've watched the video and I found it really good. I will watch it several times until I get the grasp of meditating without guidance. Once this happens I will ask you about the next steps :).
Old 18-05-2018, 01:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Yeah, from now I will breathe as my body wants and will let it go automatically.

Excellent - then you can watch it 'as it is' just as it already happens to be.

Quote:
Well, I just have researched of several meditation methods and purposes, and appeared the chakra cleansing. I thought that it could help me to evolve spiritually.

I've never practiced chakra meditation, so I can't sensibly talk about that.

Quote:
Yeah, I just change if I feel ncomfortable, I just stand in the best position.

OK, that should be fine.

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your message. I've watched the video and I found it really good. I will watch it several times until I get the grasp of meditating without guidance. Once this happens I will ask you about the next steps :).
Old 25-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Knower

Ok, after one week I have to say that 90% of the times I've felt like sleeping. I use guided meditations, so from time to time the guides wake me up while they say instructions.

Is that normal to fall sleep? Do you know any kind of trick to avoid that?
Old 25-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadspirit
Hello All,

Recently, I came across Alpha wave and Silva method for mediation. I also listened to couple of youtube videos from Sean Collins.

Has any one tried it and was successful?

I would like to do a practice with some one who is willing to help so that i know if I can do this correctly.

Thank you

I don't know if this is a practice which you can share with someone else to judge if you are doing it correctly.

There are plenty of meditations available using alpha, theta or delta waves and they work by using brain entrainment. In other words, you listen to the frequencies and your brainwaves respond by entering those alpha, theta or delta states. The technology uses various methods such as binaural beats or isochronic beats to generate the various brainwave patterns.

There are many free downloads available, or you can purchase from sites such as Hemi-Sync or the Brainwave Entrainment Store.

Then simply listen through headphones and relax. There is nothing else you have to do, so there is no need to worry about if you are doing it correctly.

The Silva Mind Control method is a bit different in that you enter the alpha state and then create a mental laboratory within consciousness. You visualise being in that laboratory with whatever tools you can imagine to help you achieve your goals. The books on the Silva Mind Control methods give fairly clear outlines on what to do. Again, I don't know if anyone else can really help you decide if you are doing it correctly - maybe just experiment with it, have fun and see what happens.

Peace.
Old 27-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Ok, after one week I have to say that 90% of the times I've felt like sleeping. I use guided meditations, so from time to time the guides wake me up while they say instructions.

Is that normal to fall sleep? Do you know any kind of trick to avoid that?

Dull heavy drowsiness is antithetical to meditation, and in Buddhism it is listed as one of the '5 hindrances' (under 'Sloth and Torpor'). You could google that and see what you find.

In meditation, the mind observes but doesn't have anything to do. In our life-habits we are always engaged in mental activity which we only stop to fall asleep. Hence, when you cease the activity and 'just observe', the mind habitually thinks it's sleep time.

There are some extenuating issues I believe prevent you from addressing this. The problem with guided meditation is you just follow along rather than self-determine, and following is quite a docile thing compared to determining your own meditation practice.

I would suggest simplifying your practice completely by feeling what the breath feels like. Period. This allows you to self-determine and you will have no doubt about what your meditation entails. Then you are in the dirver's seat rather than the passenger seat, and you are entirely confident in knowing 'observe breath is what I will do'. That is self determination, which is core to all determination. Contrarily, if there are guided instructions like do this, and now do this, and now do this... there becomes several elements to the meditation, making it overly complex, which leaves you in more doubt (and then adding theta waves etc, is just more and more thrown on that heap). Get rid of the heap, and leave just one thing.

If you simplify to what you yourself are confident in and stick with that (and simple breath meditation is far better a guided mish-mash) your self-determination has it's own kind of energy and you are going on your own determination rather than limply following a soundtrack.

When you stick with the breathing alone, and then the obstacle of drowsiness comes up, you can sit up straighter (which is the physical posture of alertness) allowing any discomfort or pain to be there without moving to alleviate it - but don't become distracted by it - just let it keep you awake while you keep returning to the breath. This takes determination, which arises from your self-determination. (Determination is listed in Buddhism as one of the 'ten perfections' and you could google that if you're interested).
Old 28-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Dull heavy drowsiness is antithetical to meditation, and in Buddhism it is listed as one of the '5 hindrances' (under 'Sloth and Torpor'). You could google that and see what you find.

I'll take it a look, I meanthat I commit this hindrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
In meditation, the mind observes but doesn't have anything to do. In our life-habits we are always engaged in mental activity which we only stop to fall asleep. Hence, when you cease the activity and 'just observe', the mind habitually thinks it's sleep time.

I understand, the mind associates this with sleeping. Also I've read that the ego when doesn't have anything to do, then it tries to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
There are some extenuating issues I believe prevent you from addressing this. The problem with guided meditation is you just follow along rather than self-determine, and following is quite a docile thing compared to determining your own meditation practice.

I would suggest simplifying your practice completely by feeling what the breath feels like. Period. This allows you to self-determine and you will have no doubt about what your meditation entails. Then you are in the dirver's seat rather than the passenger seat, and you are entirely confident in knowing 'observe breath is what I will do'. That is self determination, which is core to all determination. Contrarily, if there are guided instructions like do this, and now do this, and now do this... there becomes several elements to the meditation, making it overly complex, which leaves you in more doubt (and then adding theta waves etc, is just more and more thrown on that heap). Get rid of the heap, and leave just one thing.

If you simplify to what you yourself are confident in and stick with that (and simple breath meditation is far better a guided mish-mash) your self-determination has it's own kind of energy and you are going on your own determination rather than limply following a soundtrack.

When you stick with the breathing alone, and then the obstacle of drowsiness comes up, you can sit up straighter (which is the physical posture of alertness) allowing any discomfort or pain to be there without moving to alleviate it - but don't become distracted by it - just let it keep you awake while you keep returning to the breath. This takes determination, which arises from your self-determination. (Determination is listed in Buddhism as one of the 'ten perfections' and you could google that if you're interested).

I understand, yeah, the issue with guided meditation is that I just follow what the speaker tells to me, so I am not focused on my breath at all, and I don't have my mind totally empty, due to what the speaker is saying.

So, in the end, now I am doing meditation on my own, instead of doing meditated guides.

Thank you