Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 21-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Experiencer
(Help) Artemisia tridentata: Big Sagebrush

I now live in an area where I can wildcraft this particular sage with little effort, and in looking it up, I found a several conflicting pages saying that it WASN'T and WAS okay to use in medicine, whether internal or external. I have found the wiki pages listing the toxicity report, and that it is bad for your liver, but I have also found pages (ecological studies) saying that the toxic chemicals are less in the fall/winter, so that they can be more eatable to animals.

I've found pages listing what it was traditionally used for, and I have found pages with what it is commonly used for today (ranging from decoctions, to poultices). There is a lot that seems to point to external usage only, but many people saying that it is good internally as well.

I am not sure what it is good for, or whether it is internal or external, or both (e.g. can I make it into a tea, or do I just put it over a wound). If anyone can help me, that would be great. Any current practitioners of herbal medicine, or anyone with good, solid PERSONAL knowledge would be great (I can find enough hearsay on Google myself). Traditional knowledge would be okay, but nothing further than secondhand ("I watched my father/mother/grandmother use this, and they/the person came out just fine without liver failure").

Sorry to seem so picky, but I don't feel like taking my liver into my own hands, here. Worst comes to worst, I will just use it for smudging. It smells incredible (to me).
Old 21-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
The abortifacient and toxic effects of big sagebrush (Artemisia Tridentata) and Juniper on domestic sheep:

https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/in...icle/view/6596

Full PDF document:

https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/in...view/6596/6206

It also has toxic effects on horses.

I know that's for sheep and horses, not humans....and after all, caffeine is toxic to most animals....but it would put me off anyway.

It's been known to cause contact dermatitis. But I don't know in what dosage/context, and whether that would apply only to an 'allergic reaction' or not.

Some more info:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=P...xicity&f=false

I'd personally not be inclined to risk it. Part of a plant's healing abilities, apart from the chemical compounds it contains, is a feeling of positivity in the 'patient' (this herb will help/cure me) That affects the subtle body profoundly!
In my own personal opinion, if there is any fear/doubt about any plant it is not good medicine, for now anyway.
Old 22-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Experiencer
Thanks, Tobi, I appreciate it. I'll look over those links you included tonight.
Old 24-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Caspar

There are many common foods that have varying degrees of toxicity. Oxalic Acid is a good example. I use mugwort has a smudge stick which works wonderfully for increased lucidity when dreaming. I wouldn't use mugwort in a tea but I do use sage tea for the same thing. I'm also careful not to use it day after day after day. When used responsibility I feel it's no more toxic for my liver than too much spinach or a green banana.