Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 14-07-2011, 05:08 PM
LIFE

Kabbalah and the Will to Receive

In my experience, it is a common teaching in kabbalah that human beings, as vessels, must share the light of the "creator" in order to receive fulfillment.

It is said that the vessel's nature is ego (the will to receive) and that this inherent drive must be transmuted through sharing of the "light" (source of fulfillment). This is all in an effort to ultimately receive fulfillment, which is said can only be achieved through the sharing of the light.

In other words, you must sublimate your "will to receive", so that you may receive fulfillment.

Isn't it still one's "will to receive" that wills to receive fulfillment?

If sharing is just a means to an end (receiving personal fulfillment), then how is this sharing not disingenuous? Isn't the sharing/giving of oneself ultimately only being done for one's own sake, to receive fulfillment?
Old 23-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Knower

Hello Life,

The sharing comes from the heart and joy one feels when the ‘vessel’ is filled with the Light of the Creator. Holding back, not sharing, is what would be disingenuous.

I can only speak for myself… I am happy to share whatever tidbits of light I am blessed to receive. I ‘receive’ fulfillment by the act of sharing. I share because I wish for others to find their joy, their light.

If a ’light’ shines for another when I share then I am pleased, if it does not, I have still chosen to share and can only hope at some point the sharing may be of use. I am not judging myself as to whether the sharing is successful or not but that I did my best to share the Light.

Love, hugs, hope and blessings.
Old 31-07-2011, 12:30 AM
gentledove

*gasp* that is sooo beautiful!
Old 31-07-2011, 08:48 PM
cheeky_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTheShift
Hello Life,

The sharing comes from the heart and joy one feels when the ‘vessel’ is filled with the Light of the Creator. Holding back, not sharing, is what would be disingenuous.

I can only speak for myself… I am happy to share whatever tidbits of light I am blessed to receive. I ‘receive’ fulfillment by the act of sharing. I share because I wish for others to find their joy, their light.

If a ’light’ shines for another when I share then I am pleased, if it does not, I have still chosen to share and can only hope at some point the sharing may be of use. I am not judging myself as to whether the sharing is successful or not but that I did my best to share the Light.

Hi SeekingTheShift, I share exactly the same views with you here. I sometimes worry that people think I'm taunting them with my divine experiences but my intent is only to inspire and uplift them giving them hope for their own experiences. Thank you for writing that and putting it so well.

Blessings, big hugs, bestest wishes with love to you all

Cheeky
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Knower

Gentledove, thank you so much. Your unexpected reaction brings me a happy and blushing smile.

Cheek Monkey, Worry not. You know you come from a place of love and sharing. It can be a challenge to find the right words when we are so excited and dearly wish to share the glow of Hope.

I thank you both for your replies.

I was born and raised in Judaism and still appreciate the deeper messages. Life has changed a great deal for me from the days of attending services and being a part of the young people’s groups. I guess one of the things that stuck with me is that it is okay to ask questions about God and to God.

The tidbits that have come from that freedom to explore beyond the black and white words in a printed book have opened much for me.

If I may be so bold and if you are drawn to do so, please check out http://www.seekingtheshift.com/ In particular the section on Cosmic Seeds regarding the Eightfold Quest for Hope.

Old 21-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Tysklar

Hello LIFE & All.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
Isn't it still one's "will to receive" that wills to receive fulfillment?
I feel that receiving fulfilment is a desire to be in harmony, not my will, thy will.
'My' will as the 'Ego' was far from fulfilment of the type in question. 'It' wanted to; conquer, win and revel. I guess we still want this although in spiritual means and not alone... Integrating my ego with spirit in equilibrium, acknowledging the Sacredness in both physical and spiritual aspects of my Being, the vessel and the soul, gave me the appropriate instincts for a state of being that has facilitated, Divine Blessings and fulfilment.

Quote:
If sharing is just a means to an end (receiving personal fulfillment), then how is this sharing not disingenuous?
My own experience on this matter is; I love to share. I enjoy that someone else can feel joy. Two people in a state of bliss, not just one. Coincidentally, I hate to sense that others are unhappy, not least because of my sins. I am empathetic and connected to all things, it hurts me if you are in anguish.
Emotion to me is Gods language, I fall to my knees with the whisper of a verse. Not to say I'm a Willow, my emotions are honed and in tune, so I can understand the meaning conveyed to me. Hightened intensity of emotion and my senses, is something I am working on achieving, comfortabily.
I believe there is also the question of, what is your fulfilment and what will you do with it, or without it???

Quote:
Isn't the sharing/giving of oneself ultimately only being done for one's own sake, to receive fulfillment?
You make a distinct point.
Kindness comes from the heart and is an act of spirituality, as such it should be rewarded in spirit. Ergo, fostering more kindness. For you to be blessed by the Divine you have proven you are worthy. As such a Being you would naturally spread the love and blessings to all.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Yamah

"It is said that the vessel's nature is ego (the will to receive)"

That is not the case. Judaism teaches that every vessel has both an inclination towards Good and an inclination towards Evil. It just happens to be that in the current state of the world, the majority of vessels' Evil Inclinations predominate. Judaism never ever teaches that one should go CONTRARY to one's nature, only that one should emphasize a different part of one's nature. The inclination for evil can also, in fact, be used for good - if one understands it and how to turn it upon itself.

Regarding your further point, Rav Dessler has a lot to say on the subject of Giving and Taking. Most relevantly he speaks of 'higher' and 'lower' expressions of the two. The Higher expression of Giving is GIVING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING, while the lower is GIVING FOR THE SAKE OF RECEIVING (compensation, gratitude, or merely a sense of satisfaction). The Higher expression of Taking is TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING, while the lower is TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF TAKING. This point needs more elaboration.

TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING is more aptly termed 'receiving' and I'll give you an example from my own experiences.

A great rabbi was visiting my Yeshiva. Afterwards he went downstairs to wait for his driver. Being in his early 90's he did not appear to be standing very stable, so one of my friends brought out a chair for him to sit on. After offering it to him, the rabbi replied "I don't need to sit, but since you brought it I will use it". My friend was left with a wonderful feeling and we were all left with a life lesson.

GIVING is the highest expression of Godliness. ALLOWING ANOTHER TO GIVE is the highest expression of Giving. When one only takes, one is selfish and just amasses stagnation. When one only gives, one is selfish and just amasses debt. When one understands that one must GIVE and RECEIVE, and do both for the sake of OTHERS and not for the sake of the SELF, then one is truly selfless and on the path of Righteousness.
Old 31-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Master
Yamah...welcome back. I have been off the site a few months and am so glad to see you back here.

This is a wonderful response. The last paragraph is one that all need to understand and hopefully that all will come to understand.

This basically mirrors exactly, just exactly what I have been experiencing in my own life. The implications and sublties are many...and deep.

It bears a lot more discussing...because the implications of interconnectedness and healing are very timely, as always.

peace & blessings,
7L
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Yamah

Thank you. Of course it's a deep topic... and attempting to present something with such depth in a succinct way is difficult. I'd like to know about your experiences and delvings into this matter.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamah
"It is said that the vessel's nature is ego (the will to receive)"

That is not the case. Judaism teaches that every vessel has both an inclination towards Good and an inclination towards Evil. It just happens to be that in the current state of the world, the majority of vessels' Evil Inclinations predominate. Judaism never ever teaches that one should go CONTRARY to one's nature, only that one should emphasize a different part of one's nature. The inclination for evil can also, in fact, be used for good - if one understands it and how to turn it upon itself.

Regarding your further point, Rav Dessler has a lot to say on the subject of Giving and Taking. Most relevantly he speaks of 'higher' and 'lower' expressions of the two. The Higher expression of Giving is GIVING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING, while the lower is GIVING FOR THE SAKE OF RECEIVING (compensation, gratitude, or merely a sense of satisfaction). The Higher expression of Taking is TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING, while the lower is TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF TAKING. This point needs more elaboration.

TAKING FOR THE SAKE OF GIVING is more aptly termed 'receiving' and I'll give you an example from my own experiences.

A great rabbi was visiting my Yeshiva. Afterwards he went downstairs to wait for his driver. Being in his early 90's he did not appear to be standing very stable, so one of my friends brought out a chair for him to sit on. After offering it to him, the rabbi replied "I don't need to sit, but since you brought it I will use it". My friend was left with a wonderful feeling and we were all left with a life lesson.

GIVING is the highest expression of Godliness. ALLOWING ANOTHER TO GIVE is the highest expression of Giving. When one only takes, one is selfish and just amasses stagnation. When one only gives, one is selfish and just amasses debt. When one understands that one must GIVE and RECEIVE, and do both for the sake of OTHERS and not for the sake of the SELF, then one is truly selfless and on the path of Righteousness.

Yamah,

It has been a long time since I have been touched so by a post, the words you have shared I lovingly receive. Thank you