Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Master
Bunny Vegans and Holidays

How do you cope?

I'm not necessarily just talking about the feasts, but everything in general. Lots of parties, very unfriendly food to animals, all the chocolates and sweets in presents and stocking stuffers.

I'm definitely spending Christmas weekend with my family, and there is always so much FOOD there it is distracting. And I feel pressured to join in, because everyone else in my family is. I'm the only serious vegan in the family.

I'm looking up vegan recipes on Pinterest to help me prep my own vegan friendly food for Christmas, but oh the stares I know I'll get when I bring my stuff over to nuke, clearly scorning the food my aunt has made with such love.

So yeah, how do you all cope with the season?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Master
I was hoping for more discussion, but those are very helpful links, thank you. :)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 AM
Master
I, most likely will spend a few days over Christmas at my brothers place.
About 5hrs drive from here. I take all my food with me, and I cook it myself.
Very quiet and no fuss. i never feel pressured into anything. I simply say no, and people who know me, know by now when I say no, I can not be pushed into a yes.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
I have to agree with Rah Nam.
And let everyone know how vegan you are, so there will be no disappointment. People may not know what to do, or what to cook for you....but you can always cheerfully say that you will bring over some vegan food and they can heat it up for you if they wish.
Tell them why you choose to be vegan. Short and sweet, so they don't feel you are critical of them and their choices.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Deactivated Account
I'm spending Christmas on my own. Problem solved.

If I'm going elsewhere I'll let them know in advance what I can and can't eat and make a few swaps. One year I took a nut roast over and simply heated it myself to save my host the hassle, then just replaced the meat to have virtually the same meal as everyone else. If there's going to be a lot of chocolate around I take my own dairy free version so I don't get tempted or feel awkward.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Master
Seems to be the most logical idea to go with, to cook things yourself. Still not sure if I'll be eating vegan on Christmas, it all depends on this test I need to pass.

If I pass, I'll be on a completely raw organic diet. If I don't, I'll be making a vegan meal. Substitute almond milk and vegan butter in my mashed potatoes, put maple syrup and vegan butter on my sweet potatoes, and some cranberry stuffing. They have some good meat substitutes here too . :)

Short and sweet if they ask-/got it. I'm already known as a bit odd in my family anyway lol.

Letting people know in advance is good too, thanks all. :)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Master

As a non-vegan - I don't know what I would do if I had a vegan over. There are stores that do readymade vegan food and I would get some of that probably. I would be concerned about cooking implements and such - so would need to know where lines are drawn. Drinking is always another consideration as well.

I hope I would be gracious and respectful.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Master
My wonderful mom creates a special meal just for me :)

Also I can put anything into a wine glass I want to, doesn't have to be wine.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
There are alcoholic drinks suitable for vegans. The trick is bringing a bottle or two with you!
And there is nothing wrong with a glass of fizzy water!

Many a time I have told white lies about my drinks when in the company of those who want you to be 'very merry' and won't be happy until you are! I have filled my glass with fizzy water, added ice and a slice of lime, and behaved like my normal squiffy self....and no-one knew the difference! LOL!