Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 18-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Seeker
Mantras against evil

I have been drawn towards mantras, which are a spiritual practice I had no understanding of until just recently. I am currently an Asian studies major and just finished a class involving the supernatural in pre-modern East Asian literature, which is what got me interested. I rented a book from the library about mantras but it seemed too whitewashed to grasp the true power that lies within the practice. There were a number of mantras listed but no clear translation, or information on pronunciation of the words. I'm sure there is a formula to the nature of mantras... the more precise the pronunciation, rhythm, speed, etc. the better the results to obtain. I was wondering if someone with knowledge and experience could either reply to this post or PM me info on a mantra which I could use against evil energy. I know that Buddhist monks perform exorcisms and I would like to know what type of prayer mantra could be invoked to invite the light in and use for spiritual warfare. I purchased a very special mala and am looking forward to mastering this new spiritual practice my path has directed me towards, I just need a guide.

Please offer a mantra written in English, with pronunciation information and a rough translation of what it means and how it obtains the desired affects.
Old 19-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Experiencer

Dear evariste,

I have found that the very best mantra, epecially with regards to disturbing thoughts about this, that, or the other, is: "Let go, let go, let go!"

Mantras and malas won't really protect one's mind if it is troubled, but a positive attitude towards life and letting go of negative ideas most certainly will.

As for "spiritual warfare," somehow I don't think that is something that the historical Buddha ever taught.

May all beings have peace and happiness.

With metta,

Samana.
Old 19-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Master
In my opinion mantra is like a weapon, a skilled person can make a broom stick unto a deadly weapon.

Any combination of words can be transformed into a mantra that is effective. And the most effective of mantras can be rendered ineffective if used for the improper reason or used in an inappropriate way.

From my experience the things that make a mantra effective are discipline, determination, appropriate knowledge, appropriate application. The words are supposed to resonate, like an echo, within the mind until they become as real as the sound of our breathing. We focus with discipline and determination on repeating and hearing the mantra as many times as necessary, for as long as necessary, until we begin to feel the shift in consciousness to a more objective and self-aware state. A state that is not attached to thoughts but simply aware of them. Meaning mantra cannot change what is, but it can remove the additional layers of meaning and attachment we put on things.
Old 19-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Newbie ;)

This I think is good, that there was no clear translation of the mantras you mentioned.

I would share with you my favorite mantra that sometimes I have to walk for miles singing it to myself. Interestingly, I don't think it directy Buddhist but how it goes is:

Hare Krishna, Hare Rama...and so forth (just link of sing/mutter it to yourself in the way that seems natural).

I use this mantra for the purpose that you said you were looking for: for spiritual strength. I would remind the reader that the Gautama Buddha was originally Hindu, and I like knowing both Dharmas myself.

But what the mantra means is:

Hail Krishna...Hail Rama (as in exalt Krishna and exalt Rama).

It fills my mind with images and energy, tapping into that part of the Bagavagita where Krishna is sharing with Arjuna that, after contemplation, he has decided to fight, or struggle with his adversaries. Now we know that passificism is the way, but I believe the point is that there are situation that action is called for. By reciting this mantra over and over again, even when very depressed, I find that walking for miles, kind of saying it over and over again connects me to this moment in time and gives me the courage to do whatever is necessary to help, to assist, to be strong, to be healthy.
Old 19-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister
Interestingly, I don't think it directy Buddhist but how it goes is:

Hare Krishna, Hare Rama...and so forth (just link of sing/mutter it to yourself in the way that seems natural).
It definately isn't a Buddhist mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister
I would remind the reader that the Gautama Buddha was originally Hindu, and I like knowing both Dharmas myself.
The historical Buddha was born when the Brahmin religion was practised in India. The Hindu religion appeared at a later time.

_/\_
Old 21-12-2016, 05:10 AM
Master
Ask a Buddhist question, get a Buddhist answer:

"Evil, Evil go away! Don't come back another day!"

This is actually very effective...lol