Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 16-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Dan2000

Interspirituality/Universal Spirituality

I am Interfaith by nature, Catholic by birth, Nature Mystic in practice.

I am a Religious Pluralist whose interests range from Celtic Spirituality, Taoism, Paganism, Christianity, Yoga, Magick, and Unitarianism.

I just found a neat book by Wayne Teasdale called "The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions".

I personally do not view all of the above as conflicting, but rather as complementary, spiritual practices. Do you agree, disagree? I would be interested in hearing your views on Interfaith/Universal Spirituality.

Dan
Old 16-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Shincarra

I was raised Catholic, but I am not catholic now, now I am more like you. I was once called a Christian-Pagan, and I do like that term. I have looked at many religions, but none seem to fit me. Like none of them felt true to me. Somewhere in the bible, it is said (" My father has many manisions. "), but it does not say they are all Christain. If you look around at just nature alone you will see that God is very diverce in all that is here. So just as in nature so to in Spirituality. :)
Old 18-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Dan2000

Thanks, Shincarra! Many Pagans do not like or accept the idea of someone with both Christian and Pagan elements to their beliefs, but I do find compatabilities and connections. There is a good book called "Jesus Through Pagan Eyes" and others that address the relationship between Christ and Paganism. As a Universalist, my view is that we are all in this together, and that there are many faith-paths to the Truth.

Dan
Old 18-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Animus27

I think there's a lot to be said about interfaith dialogue and learning of different religions. Although, one thing I have noticed in the comparative religion/universalizing tread is that it thrives upon superficiality. Now, I'm not saying your personal path is, not at all. But it takes a lot of knowledge, wisdom and acute perception to synthesize separate religions and philosophies.
For instance, if someone is interested in Theravada Buddhism and Roman Catholicism, there can be many moral and ethical analogues that can be used to bridge them. Even so, the two religions operate under fundamentally different worldviews that have vastly dissimilar assumptions - namely, Catholicism insists in an immortal, personal soul that each individual possesses; whereas Theravada claims there is no such thing as a self. It's true that one can practice Vipassana while accepting Church dogmas. But the question is to what degree can one glean understanding of each tradition when they reject keystones that are considered foundational for whatever reason.

My personal opinion is that anyone syncretizing religions has to learn about the tradition in it's own terms at first, which helps in developing a subtle grasp upon the matter. When done with an open and perceiving mind, the results can be very interesting and rewarding. Or something. Heck if I know.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Dan2000

Spiritual Eclecticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I think there's a lot to be said about interfaith dialogue and learning of different religions. Although, one thing I have noticed in the comparative religion/universalizing tread is that it thrives upon superficiality. Now, I'm not saying your personal path is, not at all. But it takes a lot of knowledge, wisdom and acute perception to synthesize separate religions and philosophies.

Those are good points. Some people are young and/or new to any particular religion, so it might be hard for them to get in deep until they have accumulated enough experience. I personally have decades of experience as a Catholic followed by many years as a Zen Buddhist and Taoist. I have also been Agnostic and Secular, and more recently been involved in Paganism. It is hard, if not impossible, to create a synthesis of any of these traditions, so I simply prefer to call myself Spiritually Eclectic or a Religious Pluralist. I find Unitarian Universalist a good Church/Framework for someone with Pluralist views like myself. It is not really about creating a synthesis, as if that were actually possible, but rather to go deep enough to have an authentic Spiritual experience.

Dan
Old 28-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Shincarra

You can study any spiritual belief, and you can find good and bad in all of them. This is what confronted me in my studys of many beliefs and/or religions, and/or faith. For me the similarties are what God intended, and the differences were man interpertation. God and/or what you call God is the power in my life. God is diverse in all things including spirtual beliefs, thats is why there are so many views in spirituality. When you form rules to spirituality you get religion.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Shincarra

You can study any spiritual belief, and you can find good and bad in all of them. This is what confronted me in my studys of many beliefs and/or religions, and/or faith. For me the similarties are what God intended, and the differences were man interpertation. God and/or what you call God is the power in my life. God is diverse in all things including spirtual beliefs, thats is why there are so many views in spirituality. When you form rules to spirituality you get religion.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Master
To clear up something there is a difference between Roman Catholic Catholicism and just being a "Catholic" which means a Universalist.

The early Catholic Church as it was being developed from St. Paul was a mystical religion and tradition. They didn't even rely on the Gospels because they didn't exist yet! Paul preached from a spiritual self-realization of Christ. Paul never met Christ. He only witnessed and experienced Christ in an alter-state of trance.

Paul was possibly a Pharisees named Saul who very much disliked the growing movement called The Way. The misunderstanding is that the Church is founded by Jesus and his Apostles. No it isn't. The Catholic Church as a mystical tradition and Body of Christ was founded by St. Paul. Paul had some issues with his own Jewish faith and kinda became a self-hating Jew when he had the Christ-experience. He must have had a lot of self-hate for someone who carried out death sentences and hunted down people to kill. But it doesn't mean he wasn't a mystic and a Saint. He was one because of his own spiritual experience and conversion to a higher consciousness.

I don't think Jesus the Man intended there to be a 'Christianity'. But it seemed like a shift in global consciousness when only the Pagans and Gentiles were willing to accept this reformed version of Judaism.

I still consider myself a Catholic which was founded by St. Paul and his mystical tradition. In fact the Church was so multicultural and multifaceted that many held beliefs of the Gnostic, Essene, and Ebionite traditions. That is why it was called "Catholic". It didn't start excluded groups and beliefs until Constantine wanted to unify his Empire under a new religion. Then we got the b/s idea of "Heretic" "Banned Gospels" and "Blasphemy" .

The greatest mystics such as Miester Eckhart, Hildgard of Bingen, Francis of Assisi, Anthony of Padua, and many more were true Catholics. Those who witnessed that Holy Spirit and manifested the Christ-consciousness in their daily lives.

It is no coincidence that both Buddhism and Catholicism have produced many Buddhas and Saints. In the West it is called a "Saint" or a "Christ". In the East it is called a "Buddha". Buddhahood-Christhood is when one awakens from the False-self and realizes their true Self, a Soul of God and give to the world all their love.

And in other traditions you have ancient Saints! You have Hermes who is a Saint of a older pagan tradition! You have Saints from the Hopi Indians. You have saints from India! That is what Catholicism means. The Universality of Christ.
Old 26-03-2013, 03:19 AM
angel tears

Ah this makes sense to me now!!. I posted earlier saying that i didn't fit in to any one belief system and that i call myself a free spirit.... a spiritualist Christian i guess though now i have also got some interest in wicca too. Interfaith sounds right to me :)
Old 13-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Carwen*Angel

I believe all religions hold pieces of the puzzle, and always have.

I am interfaith, born C of E Christian, and have tried walking various paths including eclectic Pagan but have always come back to feeling interfaith was right for me. Since I made that clear decision after receiving guidance and healing from Jesus earlier this year, I have received numerous signs confirming it is the right path for me. I have particular interest in Christianity, Paganism, Buddhism, Hinduism and New Age spirituality but I believe all religions have wisdom to share and that all spring from the same core truths.

That book sounds like something I need to read, and is the third synchronicity I have received around a theme today.