Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 19-08-2012, 04:28 PM
gmemon

Treatment of parents and Religious Teachings

I am very very new to these forums, and I am posting for the first time. I was raised as a muslim and I have practiced Islam for most of my life. I am a graduate student, and I spend my days arguing about opposing point of views. Slowly I have begun to accept that all religions point towards the destination. The only difference is that each religion is a different spiritual that leads one to that destination.

I am facing a specific problem: how should I treat my parents? Islam teaches us to listen to our parents without regard to the correctness of their logic. But, since I became a graduate student, I question everything and do not accept it until I am satisfied. Naturally, I apply the same approach to my parents. As a result, we have been arguing alot. From my perspective, under no circumstances do I want to hurt them, but at the same time I do not want to just blindly do what they tell me to do. I used to be that person when I was devoutly practicing Islam, but not anymore. From my parents' point of view, I am a changed person who just wants to argue about everything, and they do not like it. They are not used to hearing a NO from me.

So, I have been thinking, spiritually, what are our duties towards our parents? If I look at Buddha, he gave up his duties towards his father (and also wife), left his palace and wandered around in search of the truth.

If I am rambling, I apologize. But any light that anyone can throw on this subject would be much appreciated.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Master
I think it depends on very much where you live. If you live in the middle east then I can imagine it is very difficult to try to change things. The west is much more liberal about how people behave. It is a cultural thing in many ways.

In the west teenagers have been rebelling against their parents for decades. But elsewhere this is probably still unacceptable.

But wherever you are it is important to be your own person, and to stand up for what you believe in. But this takes great effort and strength. It can often leave you isolated.

It is perhaps best to explain your situation to your parents. To tell them that you need to make your own mind up. That you need to be your own person. But it often depends on circumstances. Do you have any brothers or sisters? Do you have anybody on your side?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 19-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Master
The Law, and Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmemon
I am very very new to these forums, and I am posting for the first time. I was raised as a muslim and I have practiced Islam for most of my life. I am a graduate student, and I spend my days arguing about opposing point of views. Slowly I have begun to accept that all religions point towards the destination. The only difference is that each religion is a different spiritual that leads one to that destination.

I am facing a specific problem: how should I treat my parents? Islam teaches us to listen to our parents without regard to the correctness of their logic. But, since I became a graduate student, I question everything and do not accept it until I am satisfied. Naturally, I apply the same approach to my parents. As a result, we have been arguing alot. From my perspective, under no circumstances do I want to hurt them, but at the same time I do not want to just blindly do what they tell me to do. I used to be that person when I was devoutly practicing Islam, but not anymore. From my parents' point of view, I am a changed person who just wants to argue about everything, and they do not like it. They are not used to hearing a NO from me.

So, I have been thinking, spiritually, what are our duties towards our parents? If I look at Buddha, he gave up his duties towards his father (and also wife), left his palace and wandered around in search of the truth.

If I am rambling, I apologize. But any light that anyone can throw on this subject would be much appreciated.

Think about this, if I may comment...

Instinctually in all organic life on Earth, we witness, typically as the young grow up, they defy their parent's authority.

This involves our genetic instincts and traits, involved with our carnal and organic aspect.
Think of the young Colt, as example, jumping and kicking, also defying Mare Mommy.

It is true in humanity, typically, as well as the animal world.

Should we follow suit? Or, should we seek what is spiritual, and not carnal; and organic?
After all, we are more than the carnal and organic alone. True?

We are also to understand that, "The Law" is fulfilled in Love.

What do the ten commandments tell us?
They start out informing us to fear, and respect God, and revere His name.

Next, they inform us about our relationships with others around us. How to rteat our fellow man.
Also...To obey our Father and Mother.

Perhaps everything they tell you is not appropriate or managable, but, you should not incur their anger, or cause them anguish, if youwant to be the spiritual person.

Also,
Jesus also came to dispel, "Maya", the illusion, and, "lie".

To tell us not to just believe what we experience with the eyes, and sense, but with the heart.
Life is an affair, then, of the heart and not about the material things, and possessions in, "The World"..

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." ~ The Buddha ~
"As a man thinketh, so he is"
Proverbs (The Bible)

Jesus said this: "According to your Faith, so be it unto you".

I am not very familiar with the Koran. Perhaps you can add a comparible verse with the above, from it?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein