Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Master
[quote=Silver]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
'*If I didn't know better, I'd think they're trying to give Buddhism a black eye or it may be just a personal thing with the individual they're calling out. Who knows - who cares. But my curiosity has been piqued.'

If that's how you percieve it then that's ok As everything is not what it seems on the surface it's best to leave things.[/QUOTE]

Yes - too bad you didn't think of that sooner.

I actually did but then something deep inside reminded me of a very important thing I was taught as a child, if you accuse someone of something then make sure you have your facts right.... and if possible explain why you think like you do.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Master
Quote:
" The**(Pali:*Khaggavisāṇa-sutta;*Sanskrit:Khaḍgaviṣāṇa-gāthā;*Gāndhārī:*Khargaviṣaṇa-sutra*orKhargaviṣaṇa-gas[1]) is a very early*Buddhist text*advocating the merit of solitary*asceticism*for pursuing enlightenment as opposed to practicing as a*householder*or in a community of monastics. The goal of this was to become a*pratyekabuddha, who wandered alone through the forest like a rhinoceros. It fact, it is possible this sutra is one identified in the Chinese translation of the*Mahāsāṃghika*vinayaand thus was also referred to with a Gāndhārī name similar to*Pracegabudha-sutra."

One size doesn't fit all, you can follow Buddha's teachings without following a certain tradition and their practises.
The simplicity of Buddha's teachings has become complicated through some traditions and practises imo, it obviously depends on each individual as to what fullfills their needs but I prefer ' more Dharma less drama '
I frequented a Tibetan Tradition Sangha for a while but realized it was more of a cult than anything else, people where leaving in droves, it was not a place to learn and develop but more of a brainwashing system....

I think this is another example of taking a quote out of context to fit ones own belief system.

The rhinoceros sutra isn't about doing things on your own, or finding your own way.

The sutra is about a wandering monk. It is talking about how it is ok, once you have studied and learned the dhamma to go and practice alone... Pretty simple and has been explained in multiple threads many times already.

Quote:
Avoid the evil companion disregarding the goal, intent on the out-of-tune way. Don't take as a friend someone heedless & hankering. wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Consort with one who is learned, who maintains the Dhamma, a great & quick-witted friend. Knowing the meanings, subdue your perplexity, [then] wander alone like a rhinoceros,

Quote:
Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Intent on the ending of craving & heedful, learned, mindful, not muddled, certain — having reckoned the Dhamma — & striving, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

So, if you read the sutra it is again saying go to someone and learn the dhamma, study the dhamma (the practices and teachings) then go out and practice them.. Alone or wandering is perfectly ok.

So to help answer a question that hasn't been dropped. Yes, your interpretation, taking quotes out of context to provide an answer that fits your version of Buddhism and not what is taught or what even a sutra says and it's accepted view... Is very much giving falsehoods.

It also shows the importance of learning the dhamma correctly so that you don't come up with false meanings and then spread it around because of a false understanding.

P.S. Nice dig again on Tibetan Buiddhism... It is not a cult and it is outrageous to say so.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Gotama taught dhamma as nature's way, so it didn't matter what sect any person came from. The dhamma has to be universally applicable, otherwise it's merely arbitrary. Hence people can practice all sorts of meditation, but not all meditations can be dhamma. When it comes to dhamma, it will be more like 'observe breath' because no one has to make it up, imagine it, or try to produce it through mantras. It doesn't matter who any individual is or what culture they come from. Any one can do it without being taught 'how'. When it comes to the subtleties there is reason for guidance as well as having some support in the overall process.

The problems are there, and I mentioned this often, and as I say, it's all about the knowledge game (but people don;t see it). If the whole expert posture ceased the animosity would dissolve, and frankly, you are the expert and are most often at the centre of the fray.

In my case I don't care if people are right or wrong because I'm at the metta level, and to me, primal good will, compassion and mindful equanimity by far outweigh the things I know about Buddhism.

We have peculiar scenarios where the topic is meditation but the discourse is reactive and argumentative, which is entirely hypocritical. This is because people are under the impression that meditation is not for now but something we can learn here and practice later on, but it isn't. And, if it's not in practice now, then we shouldn't claim to know it.

Breath meditation was around before the Buddha. A very early version of Buddhist meditation was the meditation on death, the death of your body, of visualizing it, seeing it, being it and not fearing it. Death is natural as well.

It wasn't breath meditation that changed India, that changed people from Bhramaism to follow the Buddha. It wasn't breath meditation that helped to create Hinduism.

It was the depth of the Buddha's realization. It is that depth and the teachings that help others achieve it that make up Buddhism.

Also when doing spiritual techniques the posture, the little movements all have an impact and can really increase the effectiveness of a particular technique. So the first thing is to teach the proper way of doing a technique and then of course one is there to help explain what someone is experiencing and helping them along the way.

The techniques are powerful, life changing and why it is best done under skilled, knowledgeable guidance rather than to go off on your own and possibly really hurting yourself.

Last edited by jonesboy : 01-10-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Master
A Tibetan Buddhism teaching on the Essence of Buddhism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuWUJEGkt8

A really good meditation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjEeki_Ms

Providing some Tibetan Buddhist teachings from someone I know so that others can get an understanding.

A teaching on Tonglen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge40wXTl1xU

Here is a link to his website and the free daily teachings that are offered.

http://emahofoundation.org/index.php

Wednesday September 27
9:15am-9:45am Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper.
10:00am-11:00am Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
11:00am-12:00pm Film, Buddha's Life Story, Episode 51 The Life and Journey of Prince Siddhartha. bud

6:00pm-6:45pm Tibetan Chanting We begin by learning the chants we use in our daily practices.
7:00pm-8:00pm Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
8:00pm-9:00pm Student Talk, Fundamentals of Buddhism: Subject The Four Noble Truths, Moderator, Ira Pettit

Thursday September 28
9:15am-9:45am Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper and clearer.
10:00am-10:45am Teaching with Geshe, Shantideva's Bodhisattva Way Of Life Revered classic source on the cultivation of altruism and the Spirit of Awakening.
Lamrim
11:00am-11:45 Lam Rim With the blessing of His Holiness The Dalai Lama and his teacher, ZaChoeje Rinpoche, Geshe-la has written two books, commentaries, on the Lamrim Chenmo, Great Treatise of the Steps of the Path, by Lama Tsongkhapa. The Lamrim is a complete comprehensive overview of the path to enlightenment. Geshe will translate and teach from his book, 'Introduction to Buddhism'. This series of classes is designed for the beginner and advance student alike. Classes will be held two times a week. Each week the class content will be the same to help accommodate people’s busy schedules. You can come to any class without having gone to previous classes and benefit.
12:00pm-12:45pm Silent Meditation with Geshe Sit in meditation with Geshe, watch your mind, collect mantra, or reflect.
7:00pm-8:00pm Medicine Buddha Meditation In the words of ZaChoeje Rinpoche: “We all have healing, loving, wisdom and compassion aspects.” Through the Medicine Buddha practice we invoke our own healing power and increase our self confidence so that we can bring healing to ourselves and others.

Friday September 29
11:00am-11:45am Tibetan Chanting We begin by learning the chants we use in our daily practices.
12:15pm-12:45pm Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper and clearer.
1:00pm-2:00pm Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
2:00pm-3:00pm Film, Buddha's Life Story, Episode 51 The Life and Journey of Prince Siddhartha.

Saturday September 30

rinpoche g
10:00am-3:00pm Guru Rinpoche Day, Meditation Mantra collection. In Tibet when natural disasters strike, monks, nuns and lay people recite Guru Rinpoche's mantra to help alleviate suffering caused by such events. We have copies of Guru Rinpoche's mantra at the center for your reference.

Please review and post anything you find that is cultish...
Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
A Tibetan Buddhism teaching on the Essence of Buddhism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuWUJEGkt8

A really good meditation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjEeki_Ms

Providing some Tibetan Buddhist teachings from someone I know so that others can get an understanding.

A teaching on Tonglen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge40wXTl1xU

Here is a link to his website and the fee daily teachings that are offered.

http://emahofoundation.org/index.php

Wednesday September 27
9:15am-9:45am Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper.
10:00am-11:00am Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
11:00am-12:00pm Film, Buddha's Life Story, Episode 51 The Life and Journey of Prince Siddhartha. bud

6:00pm-6:45pm Tibetan Chanting We begin by learning the chants we use in our daily practices.
7:00pm-8:00pm Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
8:00pm-9:00pm Student Talk, Fundamentals of Buddhism: Subject The Four Noble Truths, Moderator, Ira Pettit

Thursday September 28
9:15am-9:45am Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper and clearer.
10:00am-10:45am Teaching with Geshe, Shantideva's Bodhisattva Way Of Life Revered classic source on the cultivation of altruism and the Spirit of Awakening.
Lamrim
11:00am-11:45 Lam Rim With the blessing of His Holiness The Dalai Lama and his teacher, ZaChoeje Rinpoche, Geshe-la has written two books, commentaries, on the Lamrim Chenmo, Great Treatise of the Steps of the Path, by Lama Tsongkhapa. The Lamrim is a complete comprehensive overview of the path to enlightenment. Geshe will translate and teach from his book, 'Introduction to Buddhism'. This series of classes is designed for the beginner and advance student alike. Classes will be held two times a week. Each week the class content will be the same to help accommodate people’s busy schedules. You can come to any class without having gone to previous classes and benefit.
12:00pm-12:45pm Silent Meditation with Geshe Sit in meditation with Geshe, watch your mind, collect mantra, or reflect.
7:00pm-8:00pm Medicine Buddha Meditation In the words of ZaChoeje Rinpoche: “We all have healing, loving, wisdom and compassion aspects.” Through the Medicine Buddha practice we invoke our own healing power and increase our self confidence so that we can bring healing to ourselves and others.

Friday September 29
11:00am-11:45am Tibetan Chanting We begin by learning the chants we use in our daily practices.
12:15pm-12:45pm Tibetan Yoga There are five postures in Tibetan Yoga. These postures increase our healing potential by helping to balance body and mind which in turn allows our meditations to become deeper and clearer.
1:00pm-2:00pm Mindfulness Meditation In the meditation on mindfulness, we learn to watch our thoughts without judgment or comment. With mindfulness meditation we lay the foundation to go deeper into self discovery without confusion, fear or doubt.
2:00pm-3:00pm Film, Buddha's Life Story, Episode 51 The Life and Journey of Prince Siddhartha.

Saturday September 30

rinpoche g
10:00am-3:00pm Guru Rinpoche Day, Meditation Mantra collection. In Tibet when natural disasters strike, monks, nuns and lay people recite Guru Rinpoche's mantra to help alleviate suffering caused by such events. We have copies of Guru Rinpoche's mantra at the center for your reference.

Please review and post anything you find that is cultish...

I may ask again, what's the hughest practice of Tibetan Buddhism? Is it right at the beginning but "snake like" at the end. Or I answer for you: the highest practice is Yab Yam. That's sexual practice of both sexes ..... And the practice of kundalini energy. That's the demon way of energy.

Are there all ? No, the highest practice also including the spells and incantation of medium practice. They're totally not the Buddha Gautama teaching. These three indicate Tibetan Buddhism is Hinduism but not Buddhism. The name Buddhism is cheating the world that it's a Buddhism .
Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Master
Quote:
I think this is another example of taking a quote out of context to fit ones own belief system.

The rhinoceros sutra isn't about doing things on your own, or finding your own way.

The sutra is about a wandering monk. It is talking about how it is ok, once you have studied and learned the dhamma to go and practice alone... Pretty simple and has been explained in multiple threads many times already.

So, if you read the sutra it is again saying go to someone and learn the dhamma, study the dhamma (the practices and teachings) then go out and practice them.. Alone or wandering is perfectly ok.

So to help answer a question that hasn't been dropped. Yes, your interpretation, taking quotes out of context to provide an answer that fits your version of Buddhism and not what is taught or what even a sutra says and it's accepted view... Is very much giving falsehoods.

It also shows the importance of learning the dhamma correctly so that you don't come up with false meanings and then spread it around because of a false understanding.

P.S. Nice dig again on Tibetan Buiddhism... It is not a cult and it is outrageous to say so.

This time I will not back down like I usually do when you accuse me of ' Falsehoods ' and never reply when I ask you to explain what are the falsehoods.....
WHERE DID I SAY TIBETAN BUDDHISM IS A CULT ?????????????
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Master
I cannot help but have a hearty good nature laugh.

:)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Master
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
I cannot help but have a hearty good nature laugh.

:)

Best.reaction.ever

Word of the day: ridiculous

Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Master
Quote:
This time I will not back down like I usually do when you accuse me of ' Falsehoods ' and never reply when I ask you to explain what are the falsehoods.....
WHERE DID I SAY TIBETAN BUDDHISM IS A CULT ?????????????

Quote:

I frequented a Tibetan Tradition Sangha for a while but realized it was more of a cult than anything else, people where leaving in droves, it was not a place to learn and develop but more of a brainwashing system...

Seriously, you don't remember just saying this?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Seriously, you don't remember just saying this?

Seriously did you read it properly ????????

I said the Sangha was a Tibetan Tradition...... did you notice the word TRADITION..... so as there are more than one School/Lineage etc: in Tibetan Buddhism where does my post imply I refered to ALL TIBETAN TRADITIONS being cultish??????
Do not use ' Falsehoods '