Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 18-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Mayflow

The Dhammapada

The Dhammapada (The Path of Truth) is thought to be a collection of some of the sayings of the historical Buddha who lived about 500 years before Christ.

I'll post here some of the sayings as interpreted by Thomas Byrom and also a link to the entire work free on line at Angelfire.

Choices

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you
As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shadow, unshakable.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/SHALOM/dhammapada.html
Old 18-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Master

The Dhammapada: A wonderful and very inspiring holy book.

Not familiar with the Byrom translation, will have to check the site.

There are numerous translations, with quite a bit of variation. Some are more in keeping with the pure & original ethos of the Buddha than others...

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 18-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Experiencer
This is the best online Buddhist link for the complete Dhammapada and it has an introduction by Bhikkhu Bodhi, a well known translator of the Buddha's teachings in the Pali Canon.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.intro.budd.html#intro

Best wishes

Samana
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Master

In my opinion, the translation (of the Dhammapada) by Juan Mascaro is the most beautiful and most in keeping with the original sense and spirit of the Buddha.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
In my opinion, the translation (of the Dhammapada) by Juan Mascaro is the most beautiful and most in keeping with the original sense and spirit of the Buddha.

Can you provide a link?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion

Here 'tis - http://www.deeshan.com/dhammapada.htm

~ ~

Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan

Oh! Very nice. I think it all comes down to freedom of mind and unfettering of soul.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Master

Thanks for the link. Had no idea it was there!

I have the book! A source of inspiration these past 25 years (since I bought it) A timeless classic.
That website doesn't do it justice.

Old 18-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Mayflow

"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.
In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.
This is the law,
Ancient and inexhaustible.

Now see? Buddha takes a different thought approach than most of us would normally do. For most of us it would be a natural reaction to dislike someone who cheated or abused us and to harbor resentment. For some, they will accept and almost invite being abused by a partner because of probably not enough self belief and trust and faith in themselves. Buddha chooses to harbor no ill will but does so out of compassion and and he does it with well and deeply thought out reasoning and resolve and utmost inner confidence and strength.
Old 18-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Master

The words of a true master.

Hate and the lust for revenge defiles your soul, drags your consciousness down and changes you as a person (and not for the better).

Forgiveness sets two souls free..(Theirs - and yours)