Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 15-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste
In my personal opinion? God is God, no matter what 'name' you want to attach to it...
That is, an attributed expression (saguna) form
of an all-pervading formless(nirguna) super-consciousness.
That's what I believe anyway.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Good post....

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Master
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Good post....

Namaste.

Again, I thank you and you can keep the emoji..it's a gift.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 15-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic12
Hello all I am from a christian father and hindu mother and came here to ask your opinions on some questions I have please. First, do hindus pray to the same god as christians? I am being told "no".
Only people who pray to the Absolute God are praying to the same God, no matter what idea or image they have of God.

People who pray to lower gods are praying to different gods.
Old 15-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic12
Hello all I am from a christian father and hindu mother and came here to ask your opinions on some questions I have please. First, do hindus pray to the same god as christians? I am being told "no".

I am Hindu and I do not pray to god at all.

I looked up 'god' in online dictionary and this is what I found:

Quote:
noun
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute:
the God of Islam.
(lowercase) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
(often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception:
the god of mercy.
Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
(lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
(lowercase) any deified person or object.
I cannot bring myself to pray to anyone so vaguely defined.
Old 15-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris

I looked up 'god' in online dictionary and this is what I found:

I cannot bring myself to pray to anyone so vaguely defined.

Interesting. None of those definitions were close to the Hindu view. (At least from the non-dual viewpoint, maybe #4 or #5 somewhat for dualist philosophies). Little wonder you're an atheist to all of that.
Old 15-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Master

Yes. I am also somewhat of a language Nazi and like to use words with more precision than most people. Being the most widely used language, English words are starting to lose specificity, especially words like god which are hard to define to begin with. From my perspective, in stead of debating who god is with people inclined to debate, and this is such a favorite topic of debaters, I prefer to tell them that I have no interest in god. After all, my interest is to understand myself, the world I live in, my place in it and how I relate to others in the world, in effect the nature of life. The answer to such questions may or may not be god. God as defined above does not satisfactorily provide answers to my questions. If that makes me an atheist, so be it.
Old 15-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Guide

Quote:
Yes. I am also somewhat of a language Nazi and like to use words with more precision than most people. Being the most widely used language, English words are starting to lose specificity, especially words like god which are hard to define to begin with. From my perspective, in stead of debating who god is with people inclined to debate, and this is such a favorite topic of debaters, I prefer to tell them that I have no interest in god. After all, my interest is to understand myself, the world I live in, my place in it and how I relate to others in the world, in effect the nature of life. The answer to such questions may or may not be god. God as defined above does not satisfactorily provide answers to my questions. If that makes me an atheist, so be it.

Thank you for such insight ... as is 'atheist' a vague term. I'm an 'atheist' as well to that list. But mostly I think it just reflects the paradigm from which most dictionaries are written.
Old 16-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Master

Yes. This dictionary, I suppose, reflects the Western/Christian paradigm.
Old 17-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:

Now that is a very interesting statement and first time I am hearing of it so can you explain to me how that would be possible please? Thanks.
Old 17-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Master

I find that most people have become slaves to words even when they are not sure what some of their words stand for. God is an excellent example of such a word. Has any other word created more problems and strife in the world than this word? I can't think think of any other word except perhaps religion (which I think is a form of insanity).

Let's talk about Christian God which, being the religion of most of the English speaking word, has tinged the meaning of this word as can be seen in my first post. I am most certainly not a fan of this God.What do I know about this God? A guy named Abraham and his descendants Isaac and Jacob are been credited to have had first encounter with this God and therefore He is referred to as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the Bible. I have no understanding of how this encounter took place or whether it took place at all for that matter. Is this God a discovery or an invention? I think latter. In any case I don't consider it worth my while to give any time or attention to this God.

As I said my my second post, my interest lies in understanding myself, understanding the world I live in, my place in it, my relation to others I share the world with. God may or may not be an answer to issues important to me but he is certainly not my quest in any way. He may become my quest if he can explain to me the questions important to me. So far that has not happened!