Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 23-01-2007, 10:58 AM
tiltjlp

Formatting Suggestion

Dear Members,

Being a writer and retired editor, I've noticed some members posting without leaving a line space between paragraphs. All that's required is to hit your Enter Key twice when you want to start a new paragraph

And no, this is not still yet another rule, but simply a friendly request. Long blocks of unformatted words that run on endlessly might cause some people to skip right past your message, or at least lose interest half way through and stop reading. The same can be true of posts that seem to never end. Maybe you would get better results if you split really long message between two or more posts. If you feel your opinion is important enough to post, why not do your best to make sure it gets read, Paragraph Formatting and shorter posts might do the trick. Thanks for your understanding and kind consideration.

John

Last edited by tiltjlp : 24-01-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 23-01-2007, 11:48 AM
rose

american spelling. you can keep your "capitalization" and i'll keep with my lack of "capitalisation" thankyou. i prefer original british spelling myself. britain is where the modern english language began, not america, but i am not offended if you don't use it :)
Old 23-01-2007, 12:08 PM
tiltjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose
american spelling. you can keep your "capitalization" and i'll keep with my lack of "capitalisation" thankyou. i prefer original british spelling myself. britain is where the modern english language began, not america, but i am not offended if you don't use it :)

Now I didn't say a single word about spelling, my dear rose, and all lower case, while making things harder to read, isn't a biggie either. My request pretty much boils down to formatting posts into paragraphs, to elimination endless blocks of text, since that can put some readers to sleep.

As for spelling variations language to language, I find them quaint and sometimes amusing. What would be nice though would be an online slang and word differences dictionary.

John
Old 23-01-2007, 12:10 PM
rose

cher bro...it's sweet as :)
Old 23-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltjlp
Now I didn't say a single word about spelling, my dear rose, and all lower case, while making things harder to read, isn't a biggie either.

Hmmmm....seems to me the paragraph formatting isn't much different than the rest of it, John. I have never written PROFESSIONALLY, but I've written plenty and I've come to realize that format, puncuation and capatilization really aren't that important to many people. Those of us who are bothered by the lack of traditional 'format'...well, we just need to get over it. We can surely be adult enough, understanding enough to allow for everyone's style. This IS a message board established for entertainment purposes...it's not a traditional classroom setting...there are no professors grading our posts.

JOY is the evidence of internal growth ~ Marie Montessori
Old 23-01-2007, 10:00 PM
tiltjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Goose
Hmmmm....seems to me the paragraph formatting isn't much different than the rest of it, John. I have never written PROFESSIONALLY, but I've written plenty and I've come to realize that format, puncuation and capatilization really aren't that important to many people. Those of us who are bothered by the lack of traditional 'format'...well, we just need to get over it. We can surely be adult enough, understanding enough to allow for everyone's style. This IS a message board established for entertainment purposes...it's not a traditional classroom setting...there are no professors grading our posts.

I think you're missing the points I was trying to make. An unformatted block of text three screen long is very difficult to read and make sense of, IMNSHO. And any post that you have to page down six or eight times, unless it's really of interest to you, gets tedious and boring, at least to me, and so i quit reading it. What I'm saying is that if what you have to say is important enough to post, shouldn't you presnt it in such a way to attract as many readers as possible? Interesting discussion, so I've opened the thread, is there anyone who at least can see my point of view, even if you don't agree with me?

John

Last edited by tiltjlp : 23-01-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 23-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Master
John...I can't disagree with you...I don't read through posts like that either, but if I'd just joined a board & saw that admin put up a post about how you should format your posts...it would really turn me off to posting at all.

I guess it's the way you presented it, John. With a title like 'formatting your posts' it makes the thread sound like you're saying, "This is how it needs be done." I've found that explaining oneself first, or asking others their opinions first is an excellent way to get people to agree with you when you have this kind of suggestion/request. Does that help you understand why Rose & I responded the way we did?

BTW...Rose....I'm not likely to start misspelling color just for you...so you're out of luck! ROFL! But I love you anyway!

JOY is the evidence of internal growth ~ Marie Montessori
Old 23-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Lapis

Thumbs up How Do You Spell that???

Oh goodie I can post on this thread now.

As is obvious by now, I'm not the worlds greatest speller...forget about all the other complicated stuff I never learned! But having said that, one of the ways I do learn and I hope others do too, is by writing/posting/reading. To me the way words are placed on paper (or a screen) is JUST as important as the words themselves. It's like dancing or music to me.....and when done well, it's emotionally moving and that's the whole point IMO.

I too have gotten frustrated trying to read through some posts that don't even use periods at the end of sentences. I spend a lot of time reading and rereading them to try and accurately understand what the writer is saying. I agree with you Tilt in if it's important enough to want to post....then spend a tad bit of time and energy on expressing/writing it as best as you can at the time.

Now that I know Tilt is the person to ask about these writing questions, he's going to be hearing from me about things I don't understand. See what you've started Tilt? This is an important issue to me personally because I really am mildly dyslexic and always have been, so far too often just getting the damned words out in the correct order in a sentence is a huge deal to me and also why it takes me so long to post.

I also love the idea of having a thread maybe for, as Tilt called it, "slang and word differences" because there's been many times when I just couldn't translate some of the slang English terms you great folks use. It sounds funny and colorful but I'm left wondering if I really understood what you actually meant. I vote for your idea Tilt for an area or thread where these slang words and terms etc. could be posted here at SF so none of us misses out on the joke no matter where on the planet you live!

Thanks for bringing this subject up Pinball Wizard as it's important I feel too and another way for all of us to continue learning the fine art of expressing through the written word.
Old 23-01-2007, 11:12 PM
kundalini

This is a good thread and I agree with what John is proposing but I feel it is a proposal and nothing more than a kind request by the administrator. There have been times when I too have felt that the text of posts is presented in such a way as to put myself off from reading it. This, however, is only in the case of long posts.

A long post that is not separated into paragraphs and does not contain particularly good grammer tend to be the posts that I will lose interest in. Therefore, members who would like their posts to be interesting should always pay attention to the style in which it is writ and weigh-up whether their view has been presented to the readership in a manner likely to capture other people's attention.

Appearances are not everything but it is always nice to make the effort.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:13 AM
rose

fair calls everyone. i did take it as a personal criticism sorry john about the capilisation. too many rules and regulations or in this case what APPEARS on first look to be new rules, gets tiring for people and intimidating. forgive me if continue with my way with non-capitalistion as i have odd reasons for it.

but everyone has a right to their view on the matter :) it's what makes this place thrive.

we all have different appreciations of style, aesthetics etc. if people want their posts to be read a certain way they will write a certain way.

MG...i still love you if you spell "colour" wrong. hee hee. hugs for you all.
Closed Thread