Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 24-02-2019, 03:31 AM
Ascender

Belief and explanation.

Hello all.

Wondering to what extent it is reasonable to suggest that beliefs concerning existence are a product of the need to have an explanation ?
Old 24-02-2019, 04:21 AM
janielee

Why ask? Unless you knew for yourself, what value another belief? Because we stake while we still rely on explanation, cognition, words. It is the mind that needs it - the mental ego.
Old 24-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all.

Wondering to what extent it is reasonable to suggest that beliefs concerning existence are a product of the need to have an explanation ?
Let's put it another way.

There are millions of different explanations concerning existence out there, so what makes one explanation any better/different from any other?

I mean, give a person an explanation and they will still have a belief totally contrary to it.

So, a belief is that which totally silences the ego and stops it from asking any further questions, whether it can be 'explained' or not.

For example, my family always loves to ask me "why"? In relation to everything.

They like to get me to justify, explain and account for my actions and behaviour, so they can critique, criticise and argue the point....and it drives me totally bonkers.

So now, whenever they ask "why?" I will simply say "I don't know" even though I DO know, because it is MUCH easier to play the fool from the outset than to get involved in an argument I have neither the time, patience nor aptitude for.

However, how many people will/can say "I don't know" when they really DON'T know? let alone saying it to just fog and fob others off when they do?

This is a small digression from the topic, even though it illustrates what I mean here VERY well. I will LET others believe whatever they will, no matter how ridiculous it sounds to me because guess what? they will ANYWAY, regardless.
Old 25-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Ascender

Hello janielee, Shivani Devi, and all.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The reason I ask the question is because I have long pondered upon it in solitude myself and wonder if other readers may also have done so-- and with what conclusions (if any) which they may like to share.

The question is as carefully worded as I am able to make it, and is not intended to undermine those holding beliefs-- amongst whose number I count myself-- nor belief as concept.

My interest is simply to highlight the possibility of a connection between personal and general need for explanations of existence on the one hand, and ideas which are taken up as being satisfactory fulfillment of that need on the other.

This may seem a pointless and/or self indulgent exercise--perhaps it is.
However, understanding this connection--if there is one--may help to make us more tolerant of the beliefs of others--for if beliefs are indeed held as response to need that becomes a commonality or sorts amongst believers generally.

I think there may additional consequences which result from such understanding.

petex
Old 25-02-2019, 05:56 PM
janielee

Thanks for some very reflective and inspiring thoughts, petex..
Old 25-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Experiencer

Hi weareunity.

One of the great questions about the nature of reality is whether things are happening according to a divine plan or perfection.

It's the old idea of 'Everything happens for a reason.'

Other ways to put it are, 'All is in divine order,' 'All is as it should be,' 'All is perfection,' 'All is as God wills it,' or, 'Everything is happening as it's supposed to.'

Another way to express it is, 'Everything that happens is best,' or, 'Everything that happens is the highest good.'

People have different views about this stuff of course.

The most common objection is that it would be unloving or cruel of God to want 'bad' things to happen.

But defenders of the idea say that nothing is really 'bad' - that's just a judgment.

Some people take comfort in the idea that everything is happening perfectly, and even see it as a kind of 'salvation' or ultimate good.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Ascender

Pleased that you are in the adventure janielee.
And Happy Soul, as you put forward, albeit using different words-- Some think the circumstances which allow our existence must have been preordained specifically to allow such existence.
Some think that we have evolved so as to be able to exist under such circumstances.
If there is a great plan, I see it in the consistency of the universal process of cause and consequence. A constant and inescapable process of change for all which exists. ----not that we yet comprehend all the interactions and interdependency---and even if we did we might still choose to run contrarily. Choice seems like a great gift which allows for conscious evolution. Some day we may each, or together, live up to the greatness of the gift. I think loving has to do with being able to begin to do so.

petex
Old 25-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Master

I believe we all have an instinctual desire to know where we came from, who we are and most very strongly want to know what there purpose is in life. Answer to the last question is: to learn.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Master
Hello,

Why we exist and/or what is the point, seems to stem somewhat from being courious.

Humans are courious beings. Some like to explore how and why things are and/or evolved the way they have.

This, to me, in some circles include beliefs and faith. What is held as being true and what is or may be the truth.

Through understanding others it gives me a broader outlook. Realizing there are more then one way to see and view life, as well as each other. Through this the mind opens up to new potentials and understandings as to why another may respond or react the way he/she does. It also opens up communication with each other. If open it seems one speaks to another as oppose to at another.

This is if understanding is what is being sought.

If one feels the need to "save" another then, to me, this is when beliefs can become a bit closed to being changed or held onto as being the only way. But, can always choose as to how one responds or reacts to such offers or attempts.

There are those that may point to how to live and those that may point to a way to live. Both come across, to me, as a form of beliefs, but can hold truths that may lead to healthier living and more or feeling more united wth in and with out.

So, to me, beliefs are not the problem, but how one project them into the world or towards oneself. They are a part of our thinking, IMO, and how at present things may be processed.

It may be preordained, upon this not so sure. I believe some tendacies may be passed on to the next generation and how and in what environment one grows up in and lives has thier effects upon what may held/believed.

I think in this realm of existence there are cause and effect. Meaning what we do effects each other and oneself. Along with this can have some ability to make decisions and choices. With in this can choose to be loving, kind, compassionate, but to me have to understand what these mean. Sometimes experience can give rise to these with in and towards others and with in oneself.

It can be a little complex when attempting to break it down, so many factors and influences play into it.

For it is to learn as best I can, do what I can and be aware of my thoughts and how they may influence myself and others.

If I want to be more loving, compassionate, and kind, then practice this and act in accordance. But, not be too strict upon myself and allow myself to fall down if needed or happens. The trick is to get back up and keep going as best I can at present.

Beliefs can change and shift and nothing wrong with them if no harm is intended, IMO. Just be understanding that others have thier stories and experiences as well and do the best one can to respect this. Is what comes to me at present.
Old 26-02-2019, 01:46 AM
Master

The asking if first preceded by directly exploring & seeking has worth ... else idle curiosity, idle mirth.