Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Indigo, Crystal, & Star Children

Old 27-10-2010, 10:42 PM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by radareyes
The problem with the whole "indigo children" phenomenon is that too much of criteria for determing whether or not an individual can be considered indigo is dependent on empirical, "five-sense" oriented evidence (i.e. are they resistant to authoritarian social structures, do they have difficulty with school curriculum based upon rote memorization and not abstract, non-linear thinking, etc.).

^^ This. These are just traits of hyperactive kids. About 80% of five- or six- year-olds I know act like this.

Furthermore, etiquette and politeness are extremely subjective among different cultures. In America, we say hello to friends on the street all the time. In Japan, that would probably border on brazen.

BTW, I know a woman from China who says that when Westerners speak Chinese, they say "please", "thank you", and "you're welcome" way too much. "You're welcome" in Mandarin literally means "Don't be polite".

Quote:
In actuality, determining whether or not an individual is indigo is exceedingly simple -- one need only attune themselves to the energetic level of awareness. If, upon achieving such an attunement, one then observes that the predominant influence in the energetic field of another is indigo, then that individual can be considered an "indigo", and will probably exhibit many of the traits, both positive and negative, that are generally associated with that particular energetic modality.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's hard to give colors personality traits.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:43 PM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
i am suprised most agree, i do to but was too shy to say so first. imagine that.

I was afraid I was going to start a flame war.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:58 PM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
Anything aimed at isolating a child because they are "Gifted" is obviously going to cause problems with the child and others involved.

Exactly. One of my biggest pet peeves is against arrogant people who like to flaunt their college degree/their Mensa membership/the people they know/whatever. When people boast, it makes other people wonder what's really wrong with them.

Quote:
Personally I believe the "Indigo Child" phenominon is simply someone who has thrown together some vague and unrelated traits which may or may not mean anything spiritual, and then put a fake theory to go with it, some pretty colours to attract insecure parents and then thrown in an "Indigo Aura" to get a whole range of people involved.

Personally, I believe the "Indigo Child" phenomenon is an enormous cash cow. Books, conventions, readings, you name it. But what disgusts me even more is that some parents have taken advantage of their child's supposed "indigo" status to use them as "psychics". Simply being mistaken about your the effectiveness of your quackery is one thing. Being a simple sleazy con-man is another. But the second you try to bring your children into your sales ploy, then I have lost all respect for you as a human being. There are some people on this planet who I am ashamed to be sharing the title Homo sapiens with.

Also, do you think it would attract nearly as many people if the parents were told that their special kid's aura was the color of puke and cow manure? Just saying. Indigo and purple are rare colors in nature; we attribute a lot of special meaning to them because they catch the eye.

Quote:
When anyone mentions the name "Indigo" as a title for themselves or their child I ask them to explain exactly what an "Indigo" is within at least 3 basic sentences. Strangely most won't or simply can't do that because they actually have NO idea.

If you can't explain what an Indigo Child is in twenty words or less, then Houston, we've got a problem. And if you can, don't be surprised when I start laughing my head off.

Quote:
Though, if I ever meet a self proclaimed "Indigo" who happened to actually make some kind of intellectual sense and also have similar traits to a broad range of a group of people who all share the same belief prior to meeting one another. . . .then I may entertain the idea that indigos actually exist.

This is a very bad way of determining the validity of Indigo Children. Indigo Children are a part of the New Age movement specifically. You will never meet a child who claims to be an Indigo if their parents are not into that sort of thing too. You will never meet a hardcore born-again Christian, Jew, Muslim, Mormon, or member of any mainstream religion who claims to be an Indigo without being deeply involved with the New Age movement. All the Indigo children also happen to be New Age children. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote:
All I have to say to parents of Indigo Children is that they should not treat their kids as though they are "special" or "gifted" and that perhaps their children, and their own self, should seek some counceling or psychological analisis.

^^ This.
Old 27-10-2010, 11:35 PM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by senta257
Well, I am an indigo, at least I've been told so by several people who can see auras. They told me without my ever asking or even knowing what it was.

If this happened to me, I would doubt their sanity, honestly. I don't think there is any credible scientific evidence of auras. (Click here to see a clip of James Randi's experiments on an aura reader.)

Anyways, Jenny McCarthy (Playmate of the Month!) thinks that she's an Indigo and her "autistic" son is a Crystal... because some lady on the street walked up to her and told her so, and her "Mommy Instinct" verified it. (I had no idea that vaccines caused the crystallization of children.) (Click here to see Ms. McCarthy's editorial on the "revelation".)

Quote:
I learned something more about indigos then and the description definitely does fit me a lot. Even though I've never had the slightest trouble in school (apart from hating it vehemently despite having excellent results). I've also never been even suspected of having ADHD.

Well, according to this website, I meet every single one of the criteria for being an "Indigo Child". (Especially the "wise beyond their years" one. People are often surprised to learn they've been talking to a fourteen-year-old.) And like you, school is easy for me even though I hate being a part of "the system". The problem with all of these common descriptions of "Indigo Child behavior" is that they all suffer from the Forer effect. That is, the criteria are so vague (and often flattering) that anyone can read it and think that it applies to their personality specifically.

Quote:
To me this indigo thing is like learning about whether one is extroverted/introverted, brain hemisphere dominance etc.
It's nice to learn something new, it might help me understand certain things about myself or meet people who might be dealing with similar issues.
But that's about it. I'm definitely not building my identity on that.

Personality tests are very fun. People like to think they're all unique little snowflakes. Then to be "nonconformist", they look at popular culture and the environment around them to see what their "nonconformist" friends are doing.

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from though.
I also find it somewhat strange when people immediately talk about meeting their twin flame whenever they are somewhat attracted to someone or go through the dark night of the soul whenever they miss their bus in the morning or experience any other inconvenience of similar significance.

I find it bothersome when people attribute coincidental happenings to the forces of the supernatural (or, in the case of conspiracy theorists, the government). Probability does not work the way many people think it does, and anecdotal evidence, especially when told by another person with a clear bias, is not always good proof.

I have a family member who claims that her clock started malfunctioning after a close friend died, and she considers this evidence of a spirit world. If your clock starts suddenly malfunctioning for seemingly no reason at all, it doesn't mean that there are spirits tampering with it for kicks, it means you need to get a new clock.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean those concepts don't actually exist.
Just because some people misuse them, try to fit them to their situation at all cost or use them as an excuse for their shortcomings doesn't make them invalid.

It doesn't make them invalid, they're probably just mistaken. And I don't blame them. Some of these things are psychologically tailored to be attractive to a lot of people.

Quote:
I don't know, I just always prefer to keep an open mind and so claiming that something simply doesn't exist always sounds to me a bit like...doing the exact opposite.

I like to keep an open mind too. I listen for things like evidence and studies and scientific evidence. But there is a difference between "keeping an open mind" and "accepting everything you hear". Only the former can truly be called rationality. The latter is just gullibility and faith.
Old 27-10-2010, 11:46 PM
mahakali

in response to that last line ill leave you with my signature
Old 28-10-2010, 12:00 AM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali

Thanks. In exchange, I'll just leave this:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

-Anonymous
Old 28-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali

So very true. Nice of you to recognize, what I would call, your degree of empowerment.

Much is changing at this time. We need to respect those who are attached to concepts and ideas that differ from our own. I like the way you do that. All these things are truly blessed.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 28-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyingPony
^^ This. These are just traits of hyperactive kids. About 80% of five- or six- year-olds I know act like this.

That's a possibility, which is of course one of the reasons why I'm advocating not relying on five-sense information in order to determine the energetic predispositions of others.

Quote:
Furthermore, etiquette and politeness are extremely subjective among different cultures. In America, we say hello to friends on the street all the time. In Japan, that would probably border on brazen.

BTW, I know a woman from China who says that when Westerners speak Chinese, they say "please", "thank you", and "you're welcome" way too much. "You're welcome" in Mandarin literally means "Don't be polite".

Yet another reason not to assign credence to surface appearances.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's hard to give colors personality traits.

I mean that having a direct, energetic experience of an individual will yield greater understanding of the personality traits that they exhibit than will a conceptually dependent one.

Last edited by radareyes : 28-10-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 28-10-2010, 12:20 AM
mahakali

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32241

Much is changing at this time. We need to respect those who are attached to concepts and ideas that differ from our own.

John
Thank you John, I agree
Old 28-10-2010, 12:41 AM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
That's a possibility, which is of course one of the reasons why I'm advocating not relying on five-sense information in order to determine the energetic predispositions of others.

[...]

I mean that having a direct, energetic experience (as opposed to a mind dependent one) of an individual will yield greater understanding of the personality traits that they exhibit.

I'm not dismissing using the five senses to gain information. You use it to gain information in science. I'm just saying that the criteria that people claim for these supposed metaphysical concepts has a very low standard.

Before we can verify that Indigo Children exist, we must confirm that aura reading is true and reliable. Then, to prove that these children are psychic, we'd need to test them in a controlled environment. And if they want any credence to the "knowledge of past lives" thing or something like that, I'm not sure if it's really possible to prove or disprove that. On one hand, we could use a lie detector. On the other hand, children have wild imaginations and it's possible that it wouldn't be the first time that they've erroneously believed something to be true... or have false memories in their heads.