Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-03-2011, 04:09 AM
pre-dawn

Japanese Shin Buddhism is just about the closes one can get to Christianity, so much so that the early missionaries to Japan thought that the devil got there ahead of them and created a fake Christianity.

While Shin and Christianity look very similar on the surface they are very different once one starts looking deeper. Read this article

http://www.seattlebetsuin.com/Is_Shin_Buddhism_the_same_as_Christianity.htm

to see how they differ in their fundamental ideas.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:17 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
This is not true for every Buddhist. Many believe that the energies behind the deities exist, but it is not the statues themselves.
Energies are not personal and are also convertible into other energies.
"Everything is change" and if a God exists that applies to God also.
Buddhism points to the potential of going beyond God, Christianity cannot even conceive of that.

Christianity begins and ends with God.
Buddhism has no beginning and no end.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:19 AM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
Buddhism points to the potential of going beyond God, Christianity cannot even conceive of that.

But some Christians can conceive of it, thus they also turn to Buddhism.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Shim

deleted...

Last edited by Shim : 21-03-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Master
Different christians believe different things and different buddhists believe different things, and it doesn't matter.

If one would follow Christ then emulate Christ by being kind and compassionate, or if one follow the buddah then emulate buddah in the same way.

Neither of these blokes said to form religions, read bibles/texts, and practice all these rituals.
Old 21-03-2011, 05:03 AM
Shim

The only rituals I am familiar with in Christianity are baptism and communion. What about Buddhism?
Old 21-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
The only rituals I am familiar with in Christianity are baptism and communion. What about Buddhism?

There's some christians that practice confession, grace, sunday school... and other secular groups to their own fancy. Many buddhists practice various rituals in much the same way... recently I was serving a buddhist monk who had many strange customs, but I didn't mind because I am not a buddhist or a christian nor do I follow any religion at all.

My belief is just be kind and never mind.

In the eyes of a Christian person generally I would seem to be worthy of the fires of the hell, for the usual reasons, but that sentiment is not returned by me, Christians are just people like Buddhists Hindus Wiccans and Athiests, and unlike the fallacy that tere are a chosen people the truth of equal people exists and where I am judged cast unto satan's realm, I still abide by the truth where I make no such judgement.

As you can see I 'follow' many Christian principles and I 'follow' many Buddhist principles, but not because I'm religious... it's just that they make sense.
Old 21-03-2011, 07:02 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
But some Christians can conceive of it, thus they also turn to Buddhism.
In that case, and if they act on it, i.e. pursue this idea with the intention to embody it, they become Buddhists and cease to be Christians. Simple.
In other threads I have written at length that Christianity and Buddhism are incompatible at a fundamental level and the reasons why that is so.
Once cannot be a Buddhist and a Christian simultaneously.
Old 21-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Elijah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Can one follow Buddhism and still have Christian beliefs (background/upbringing)?
I embrace Buddhist teachings, but I don't necessarily reject everything that I learned in my Catholic upbringing when I was a child.
Sure, why not.. I like bits & pieces from all different teachings, for me, I see them all pointing to the same nature/reality.
There was a chap called Thomas Merton, a Catholic/Trappist monk who embraced eastern teachings such as Buddhism & Zen, you might find his work interesting.
Old 21-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Experiencer
I disagree with much of the Christian interpretation of Buddhism at the link #4 "How does a Christian Converse with a Buddhist "

As for kamma/karma,it isn't some kind of cosmic punishment system as some people mistakenly believe it to be.

this is a helpful Buddhist link:

"Kamma and Rebirth by Ajahn Sumedho"

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books2/Ajahn_Sumedho_Cittaviveka.htm#KAMMA AND REBIRTH

excerpt :

Quote:
'Do good and you'll receive good; do bad and you'll receive bad.' We worry: 'I've done so many bad things in the past; what kind of result will I get from all that?

Well, all you can know is that what you've done in the past is a memory now. The most awful, disgusting thing you've ever done, that you wouldn't want anyone to know about, the one that, whenever anybody talks about kamma and rebirth, makes you think: 'I'm really going to get it for having done that' – that is a memory, and that memory is the kammic result. The additions to that – like fearing, worrying, and speculating – these are the kammic results of unenlightened behaviour.
What you do, you remember; it's as simple as that. If you do something kind, generous or compassionate, the memory makes you feet happy; and if you do something mean and nasty, you have to remember that. If you try to repress it, run away from it, get caught up in all sorts of frantic behaviour – that's the kammic result.

Kamma will cease through recognition. In mindfulness, you're allowing kammic formations to cease rather than recreating them, or annihilating them and recreating them.
It's important to recollect that whatever you create, you destroy, and what you annihilate, you create – one conditions the other, just as the inhalation conditions the exhalation. One is the kammic result of the other. Death is the kammic result of birth, and all we can know about that which is born and dies is that it is a condition and not-self