Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Newbie ;)

Theatrical films about the afterlife

Hi, I haven't posted much in these forums and not in a while but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this topic. I am currently looking into how the afterlife is portrayed in movies and wonder which films depict the afterlife in the most interesting or potentially accurate ways.

I just watched a comedy movie from 1991 called 'Defending Your Life'.

Defending Your Life is a 1991 American romantic comedy-fantasy film about a man who dies and arrives in the afterlife only to find that he must stand trial and justify his lifelong fears in order to advance to the next phase of existence; or be sent back to Earth to do it again.

I don't usually take theatrical movies about the afterlife too seriously but it is still interesting to see how it is portrayed by Hollywood or in other countries.

Have you seen many afterlife related movies and what do you think are the best ones?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 AM
hazada guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual Mike
Hi, I haven't posted much in these forums and not in a while but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this topic. I am currently looking into how the afterlife is portrayed in movies and wonder which films depict the afterlife in the most interesting or potentially accurate ways.

I just watched a comedy movie from 1991 called 'Defending Your Life'.

Defending Your Life is a 1991 American romantic comedy-fantasy film about a man who dies and arrives in the afterlife only to find that he must stand trial and justify his lifelong fears in order to advance to the next phase of existence; or be sent back to Earth to do it again.

I don't usually take theatrical movies about the afterlife too seriously but it is still interesting to see how it is portrayed by Hollywood or in other countries.

Have you seen many afterlife related movies and what do you think are the best ones?

I don't really watch afterlife movies as they might cloud my own thoughts about it.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
I don't really watch afterlife movies as they might cloud my own thoughts about it.
Good point.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 AM
Seeker

There is a great movie from Robin WIlliams called "What Dreams May Come". Great movie when you get a chance check it out
Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Knower

As I sat mulling over the movies that I’ve seen having to do with an afterlife, it soon dawned on me: there aren’t too many of them.

By far, though, Where Dreams May Come is the most captivating film I’ve ever watched pertaining to the hereafter. I've viewed it repeatedly. Some of the more beautiful imagery it contains is absolutely awe-inspiring. But a realistic depiction of what lies beyond?

I think we’re all pretty much in the dark as to what awaits us on the other side, if there is one at all. More so than anybody, those who work in Hollywood are likely the most ignorant of all when it comes to spiritual matters. Hence, I think, the primary reason for the scarcity of afterlife movies.

There are countless zombie pictures, and I suppose one might count these as loosely falling into this category.

There have been several movies I’ve seen that have involved reincarnated characters, but the setting has always and understandably been earthbound.

Phantoms. As with zombies, numerous ghost movies exist; the majority of these intended to be viewed with popcorn. Even so, if an afterlife involves to some extent planet-lingering spirits, the more serious of these ghost pictures just might be onto something.

Which is to say, I don’t think any movie will exactly get it right – what an afterlife would be like. Nor do I think any are designed with the aim of trying to persuade the audience to believe in a specific afterlife scenario. These are movies made primarily for entertainment, after all, not propaganda pictures.

Getting back to what I was saying at the outset of this post...

I find it interesting, what few movies there are that exist having to do with an afterlife, considering many people think of, if not dwell on, it often; hence, you would think films catering to these people would be crowd-pleasers and generate major box-office appeal.

There are hundreds of westerns, actioners, romancers, crime dramas, thrillers, comedies, fantasy flicks, and sci-fi pics. Where, however, are all the PG-rated films set in a celestial realm? Movies (NC-17 rated or otherwise) about finding onself in perdition; of meeting up with sinister entities for an eternity, upon crossing over: virtually nonexistent. Is it a problem of finding a suitable location setting? Or does it have more to do with the fact that for the film industry, the idea of heaven and hell is considered utterly ridiculous and unprofitable? That wouldn’t be surprising, if you are of the opinion that the majority of Hollywood screenwriters, filmmakers, and celebrities are atheist and nihilistic, in which case the idea of creating movies of this nature would be downright unimaginable, to people who others would say are living the broad and spacious road of wealth, fame, and razzmatazz.

Much to my surprise, though, in the last few years, there have been a few well-made and -acted cinematic releases having to do with the near-death experience. Heaven Is For Real and 90 Minutes In Heaven being two that I’ve enjoyed. This is not to say I necessarily believe in NDEs as they present themselves to be, anymore than I do in the idea of an unconditonal, free admission into some otherworldly paradise.

Funny, that many years ago I used to attend religious conventions, in which periodically there were put on didactic stage plays, primarily performed by stagey nonactors and other gesticulating hambones. These productions were largely unconvicing, but as I reflect back on them, it’s brought to mind the omission of even one afterlife-themed play. Heck, even in the apt environment of a religious theater, afterlife dramas are hard to come by!
Old 18-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found Goat
As I sat mulling over the movies that I’ve seen having to do with an afterlife, it soon dawned on me: there aren’t too many of them.

By far, though, Where Dreams May Come is the most captivating film I’ve ever watched pertaining to the hereafter. I've viewed it repeatedly. Some of the more beautiful imagery it contains is absolutely awe-inspiring. But a realistic depiction of what lies beyond?

I think we’re all pretty much in the dark as to what awaits us on the other side, if there is one at all. More so than anybody, those who work in Hollywood are likely the most ignorant of all when it comes to spiritual matters. Hence, I think, the primary reason for the scarcity of afterlife movies.

There are countless zombie pictures, and I suppose one might count these as loosely falling into this category.

There have been several movies I’ve seen that have involved reincarnated characters, but the setting has always and understandably been earthbound.

Phantoms. As with zombies, numerous ghost movies exist; the majority of these intended to be viewed with popcorn. Even so, if an afterlife involves to some extent planet-lingering spirits, the more serious of these ghost pictures just might be onto something.

Which is to say, I don’t think any movie will exactly get it right – what an afterlife would be like. Nor do I think any are designed with the aim of trying to persuade the audience to believe in a specific afterlife scenario. These are movies made primarily for entertainment, after all, not propaganda pictures.

Getting back to what I was saying at the outset of this post...

I find it interesting, what few movies there are that exist having to do with an afterlife, considering many people think of, if not dwell on, it often; hence, you would think films catering to these people would be crowd-pleasers and generate major box-office appeal.

There are hundreds of westerns, actioners, romancers, crime dramas, thrillers, comedies, fantasy flicks, and sci-fi pics. Where, however, are all the PG-rated films set in a celestial realm? Movies (NC-17 rated or otherwise) about finding onself in perdition; of meeting up with sinister entities for an eternity, upon crossing over: virtually nonexistent. Is it a problem of finding a suitable location setting? Or does it have more to do with the fact that for the film industry, the idea of heaven and hell is considered utterly ridiculous and unprofitable? That wouldn’t be surprising, if you are of the opinion that the majority of Hollywood screenwriters, filmmakers, and celebrities are atheist and nihilistic, in which case the idea of creating movies of this nature would be downright unimaginable, to people who others would say are living the broad and spacious road of wealth, fame, and razzmatazz.

Much to my surprise, though, in the last few years, there have been a few well-made and -acted cinematic releases having to do with the near-death experience. Heaven Is For Real and 90 Minutes In Heaven being two that I’ve enjoyed. This is not to say I necessarily believe in NDEs as they present themselves to be, anymore than I do in the idea of an unconditonal, free admission into some otherworldly paradise.

Funny, that many years ago I used to attend religious conventions, in which periodically there were put on didactic stage plays, primarily performed by stagey nonactors and other gesticulating hambones. These productions were largely unconvicing, but as I reflect back on them, it’s brought to mind the omission of even one afterlife-themed play. Heck, even in the apt environment of a religious theater, afterlife dramas are hard to come by!

Thank you for your thoughts Found Goat.

From the research I have done it appears there are more films relating to the afterlife and similar phenomena than I previously thought. Just googling 'Afterlife Movies' comes up with quite a long list of results and so does a Wiki search.

Still the majority of these are made primarily for artistic and entertainment purposes. I've not come across many of these kind of movies that suggests the people writing and producing the movie actually take it so seriously themselves.
Old 19-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseedtruth
There is a great movie from Robin WIlliams called "What Dreams May Come". Great movie when you get a chance check it out
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks for the title!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Guide
Saw one recently called THE NINES with Ryan Reynolds. Wasn't so much about depictions of the afterlife, but more about God's role as a "ten" and the few who are "nines" (apparently humans are "sevens")
Old 07-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Seeker

I do not remember the title. Opening scene is subway doors open people of all ages and countries step out. All dressed in clothes they had worn when they died, They form a line to the escalator/stairway waiting their turn to go up.
I remember a scuba diver dripping wet, kids holding cuddly toy in p.j. old people in sleepwear, guy in suit etc. If someone perhaps knows which movie?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:50 AM
Experiencer
It's not a movie, but The Good Place is a show set in the afterlife, and shows unique-ish versions of heaven (the "good place"), hell (the "bad place"), and limbo. It's fairly in-depth with what the daily "life" would be like in their versions. The show Good Omens also shows heaven and hell on occasion, as it is set around an angel and demon who sometimes interact with their respective realms.

I would consider certain movies and shows that show a "spirit realm" to fall in this category as well.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."