Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 13-04-2018, 01:30 AM
LoGronn LoGronn is offline
Knower
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Crossroads
Posts: 157
  LoGronn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
why would you want to eat it?

For sport, seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Altair Altair is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 69
  Altair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGronn
I am a meat eater because I think meat gives me physical strength but I am well aware of the fact that it is not the best option for our soul.
I regularly go to the gym and I can choose to eat a wide variety of beans, hummus and falafel, peanut butter, etc. Of course you can also eat dairy since you only mention meat. But meat isn't required for strength. You won't collapse or shrink muscle if you eat enough non-meat protein.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 13-04-2018, 06:20 AM
Altair Altair is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 69
  Altair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Given that animals in the food industry have to be supplemented with B12 to keep them healthy long enough to 'grow up' and given that human health is suffering in myriad ways including a deficiency as described above, it seems to me that it's time to retire the excuse that people can't be veg'n 'because of the B12 issue'.
It doesn't seem like an excuse though, your numbers indicate some groups are more likely to be at risk, both you and me among them. And because vegans also don't eat/drink dairy they could very well be the ones upping that number. Where do you get your B12 from? Fortified foods?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Debrah Debrah is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 257
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It doesn't seem like an excuse though, your numbers indicate some groups are more likely to be at risk, both you and me among them. And because vegans also don't eat/drink dairy they could very well be the ones upping that number. Where do you get your B12 from? Fortified foods?


Those aren't 'my' numbers Altair. Those are the results of 18 different studies done by researchers.

Unfortunately, a great many veg'ns aren't as focused on health as I am, so they fail to do any research about their food needs much like the average meat eater. And in passing, they hear things like you can get B12 from mushrooms or spirulina.....both of which are incorrect. Or they rely on a sporadic intake from the cup of soy milk on their cereal. On that score, my understanding is the B12 in soy milk may not even do them any good because soy has compounds that block B12 absorption. And if that's their source, well they're out of luck.

Personally, I supplement 3x per week with a B12 methylcobalamin tablet, 1000 mcg. When I had a blood panel done a couple years ago, the doctor asked me if I supplemented B12 and when I said yes, he said, 'well cut back, you've got way more in your system than you need'. So I cut back from every day to 3x per week. I think Dr. Greger or Jack Norris (vegan's both), recommend that dosage. http://jacknorrisrd.com/b12-recommen...-for-all-ages/

Considering how easy it is to feel healthy and satiated on a vegan diet, and that supplementation is actually simple, inexpensive and entirely doable without killing someone, 'not going vegan because of the B12 issue' is easily relegated to the Excuse pile.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Debrah Debrah is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 257
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGronn
For sport, seriously.


For sport? Do you mean for 'fun' or 'because you think the sport of weightlifting' can't be done without meat? Because there are more and more vegans in the sports industry, runners, weight lifters, fighters, body builders, etc., who all attest to improved performance and recovery when they quit eating meat. Or if the few who've been vegan forever, speak out without the context of having made that change in their active years, they're already at the top of the game and that level speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 16-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Altair Altair is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 69
  Altair's Avatar
Debrah, the numbers do indicate we are a more vulnerable group. This is what you bypassed.
I suspect vegans are responsible for the high percentage, considering they also avoid dairy products.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 23-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Debrah Debrah is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 257
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Debrah, the numbers do indicate we are a more vulnerable group. This is what you bypassed.
I suspect vegans are responsible for the high percentage, considering they also avoid dairy products.


I have never 'bypassed' anything Altair. I'm always quick to tell anyone who will listen, if they are vegan, to supplement B12. I don't tell them that mushrooms or spirulina will give them enough and I don't even suggest that if they just make a point of fortified nut milks, that they're good to go. I always recommend an actual supplement of 1000mcg of B12 taken 3x per week because it is that important. I even tell my old mom who eats meat and uses dairy and eggs, to take a B12 supplement!

And the numbers that I linked to, shows that every demographic is at risk even if they eat meat. Our veg'n numbers are shown apart from those other groups but that doesn't mean their numbers are the responsibility of vegans. That's like blaming vegans for the problem of orang-utans losing their habitat because all of our societies make use of products that have palm oil.

I had an uncle who was a lifelong, heavy meat eater. But he had stomach troubles for much of his last years and he popped Tums like a favourite candy. Did you know that Tums impair your ability to absorb B12? And the more Tums, the greater the impairment. Each year as my uncle got older, his mind suffered more as a type of dementia seemed to become an issue. Tums reduces the stomach acids available to properly digest (separate the B12 from the food particles) the meat in his diet. And B12 deficits appears to have connections to subsequent Alzheimers diagnoses.

I've actually taken the time to research about B12. So I know a bit about what the physicians and scientific researchers have found regarding what can create a problem with the absorption of B12 that is found in the diets of your average meat eater. It can be poor diet, digestive problems, medications, other disease processes.....but because many people are truly ignorant about their health/bodies/food requirements, they think that because they're eating meat, they have all the bases covered. Well that's not true apparently and their inclusion in those numbers is the proof of that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums