Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 14-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel*Child
This is good! I have the same problem. Sometimes when I'm focused on my breathing, there is still some random thought drifting across my mind; a song being played, a memory, etc. Either way, my head never really becomes "clear".
Give it enough time and bingo- it happens when your awareness is on something other than thoughts and that itch...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athymari
I do not mean random thought about daily activites, but I steer my mind toward spiritual topics and let it 'chew' through them.

This is what I call contemplation - a wonderful thing.
Different than meditation.
Different than prayer.
Different than worship.
Different than stillness in general.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Shabby

Quote:
This is good! I have the same problem. Sometimes when I'm focused on my breathing, there is still some random thought drifting across my mind; a song being played, a memory, etc. Either way, my head never really becomes "clear".

Don't worry about your mind becoming clear or even about a thought arising....see it come and watch it go, don't judge it nor interact with it. Just say....there's a thought....and turn the focus of your attention back to what ever you are focusing on. Keep practicing : )
Old 14-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Knower
I say, during meditation, it would be best to observe the thought but not dwell on it and eventually it will drift away back into the silence. Sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep I will try and silence my mind but trying isn't really the right word I try and allow the silence to come but before it does loads of thoughts come rushing out and I'm sort of in a detached mode where the silence and the thoughts are seperate from each other and I'm amazed at all of these thoughts coming out of me as if they were foreign to me.

Matt
Old 14-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Master
Control thoughts or let 'em rip? While meditating.

Neither.

Notice the silent space between your thoughts, underneath and all around them, and in your inner being... and shift your attention into that, wherever you find it.

Out of habit you'll no doubt go back up into your head and listen to your round and round thoughts again, but when you notice you can shift your attention again and breathe into the open quiet space.

Eventually you come to realize the thinking mind is really a very tiny thing in vast pure silence of delicious beingness.

Xan

Old 19-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Master
Quote:

I don't think it matters if some thoughts come and go, and as long as they do not distract you from awareness of breath.

how do you observe the breathing?
Old 19-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Distortedsoundz

Or, you can meditate on that thought, look at it from different angles, from the outside of you looking at the situation. Maybe it is something that needs to be worked on. That is why we are here in this body, to experience situations and deal with them, it is normal, as long as you feel better when you are finished meditating, you did something right.. :)
Old 19-12-2011, 01:43 PM
oliness

I think it depends on the kind of meditation you are doing. If you are doing a meditation aimed at developing a particular state, such as compassion, then you want to control thoughts to bring everything to the state of compassion. If you are doing intense concentration on the breath, you want to control thoughts so they do not distract from the concentration on the breath.

However if you are doing awareness (mindfulness, Zen, etc) meditation, where you are simply watching the contents of mind, then you can let the thoughts rip. You watch them come and go and the aim is to maintain awareness in the midst of all the ripping thoughts.
Old 19-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Master
Consider this:

If 'you' are controlling your thoughts, what do you think 'you' are? ... One part of your mind managing and controlling another?

However, the real You is without thought entirely.

Shifting your attention into the quietness goes beyond the mind and its identity and into pure awareness itself.

This is one way that breathing focus is effective... It takes you out of the tyranny of the thinking and controlling mind.

Xan

Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM
8 years ago and this thread on thoughts is still pertinent.