Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-07-2018, 07:40 AM
FrankieJG

Soulmate Twinflames according to Buddhism

I am a Buddhist and I believe in karmic relationships - people I might have met in my past lives. But this whole twinflame relationship and journey is something that I can hardly digest. I am not sure whether to believe in it or not. Do Buddhists here believe in a twinflame?
Old 14-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieJG
I am a Buddhist and I believe in karmic relationships - people I might have met in my past lives. But this whole twinflame relationship and journey is something that I can hardly digest. I am not sure whether to believe in it or not. Do Buddhists here believe in a twinflame?

The Twin Flame concept is not Buddhist doctrine. If you are a Buddhist how do you understand Buddha's ' Anatta ' teaching FJG ?
Old 14-07-2018, 10:05 AM
FrankieJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The Twin Flame concept is not Buddhist doctrine. If you are a Buddhist how do you understand Buddha's ' Anatta ' teaching FJG ?

That is the thing. As there is no such thing as a soul in the first place how can it be split into 2. However, twinflame concept is discussed always , everywhere. I want to know whether there's any truth to it. As many people seem to be experiencing the journey, the synrchronicities, signs of confirmation. I have experienced the synchronicity and signs myself, which lead to nothing. Is it just a myth?
Old 14-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Master
Well if it helps any, I am not sure how much it may, according to a site speaking of the twin flame phenomenon, it was first written about in the way of a soul splitting, by Plato I believe? Or at least that is what the particular website claimed.

As for Buddhism, I am not Buddhist- so very much do believe in a soul.

Personally however, I am inclined to feel we as souls are already whole, and individuals entirely. I do not feel the whole personal relationship aspect, has much to do with the spiritual level of souls splitting. This has never made sense to me, no matter from whence it came, apparently Plato.

As for us maturing through aspects of personality and maturing enough to be able to have fulfilling personal relationships, I even as an individual whom adheres to a belief in a soul, would suggest Buddhism alone itself as a source to draw from- for maturing in a "personal relationship" sense, rather than the Twinflame theories.

I have learned much from Buddhism myself, and learn more about myself and behavior, and thoughts every day.
Old 14-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Master
Quote:
I am a Buddhist and I believe in karmic relationships - people I might have met in my past lives.
Wisdom and truth as identified by countless mystical paths/individuals throughout the ages.
Quote:
But this whole twinflame relationship and journey is something that I can hardly digest. I am not sure whether to believe in it or not. Do Buddhists here believe in a twinflame?
Nothing that requires belief or disbelief. It's never about belief anyway, it's about soul depth recognition. That said, if you want an experiential-wisdom blast with regards to just how truthful this notion might be, visit the Twin Flames forum. Pretty much everything posted in that forum is pure ego, mixed with lots of projection, deflection and illusion, plus the occasional example of worrisome delusion. That tells you a lot about it right there.
Old 14-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Master
Quote:
That is the thing. As there is no such thing as a soul in the first place how can it be split into 2. However, twinflame concept is discussed always , everywhere. I want to know whether there's any truth to it. As many people seem to be experiencing the journey, the synrchronicities, signs of confirmation. I have experienced the synchronicity and signs myself, which lead to nothing. Is it just a myth?

I don't know if it's a myth or not as Its not something I find valuable enough to think about.
I personally don't believe in a soul and never have done from an early age so it wouldn't make any sense to me, but each to their own...
Old 14-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I personally don't believe in a soul and never have done from an early age
That would kill me. Understanding of my eternal soul is the foundation of my 4-5 belief tenets! But I was always an individual that way, I've always hated gatherings, parties, public pools, anywhere "the collective" are doing something together. I never eat meals with others, always alone. Haven't been to a restaurant or movie in years for that reason.
Old 14-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Master
...............n/m

Last edited by Baile : 14-07-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 14-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Well if it helps any, I am not sure how much it may, according to a site speaking of the twin flame phenomenon, it was first written about in the way of a soul splitting, by Plato I believe? Or at least that is what the particular website claimed.

As for Buddhism, I am not Buddhist- so very much do believe in a soul.

Personally however, I am inclined to feel we as souls are already whole, and individuals entirely. I do not feel the whole personal relationship aspect, has much to do with the spiritual level of souls splitting. This has never made sense to me, no matter from whence it came, apparently Plato.

Yes. I think it was Plato's 'Symposium'... that described the Zeus splitting living beings in two. This explains it pretty well (and adds a few things):http://theconversation.com/what-plat...soulmate-72715

Quote:
As for us maturing through aspects of personality and maturing enough to be able to have fulfilling personal relationships, I even as an individual whom adheres to a belief in a soul, would suggest Buddhism alone itself as a source to draw from- for maturing in a "personal relationship" sense, rather than the Twinflame theories.

I have learned much from Buddhism myself, and learn more about myself and behavior, and thoughts every day.
Old 14-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Suspended

The thing is, Buddhism's focus is on changing what we are by changing what we identify with. It's like a cooking book that focuses on one thing, like how to make bread. A book that focuses on making bread does not mention who makes bread, who the bread makers are related to, are friends with, who they have relationships with and what these relationships are like, who runs the bakery, who makes the flour you buy and on and on.

Buddhism focuses on changing what you are and your experience. So by becoming selfless and full of our natural state of compassion and love, of course everything around us changes. Our experience changes our actions change our relationships with others changes.

So soul mates, past lives, soul groups, twin flames, our karma, our life's purpose, is like a book on making fruit smoothies. This information and subject matter and content is not in the book on how to make bread at all. But it all still exists and is real.

Buddhism simply does not go into these subjects. I follow a lot of Buddhist teachings, and I still believe in past lives and all of that.

The book, "Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives" by Michael Newton goes into depth about what we do and experience between incarnations, what our soul groups are, etc. One can read Newton and Buddha and there is no conflict there. They are about different subjects.

In the books I have read. souls do have the ability to split and incarnate at the same time in two or more different bodies. But this is for advanced souls to do to advance and learn more quickly. From what I read, it has nothing to do with romance or anything like that. When the split incarnations end, your energies re-merge in the astral dimension. I don't know if twin flames exist, but in the books I have read, they are not mentioned.

As far as soul mates, in the books I have read we are in soul groups and reincarnate with these same group members life after life in different roles. So in one life we be another souls wife, then the daughter, then the best friend, then the grandfather etc. So here also the "romance" type stuff doesn't seem to be true. But we do "love" the ones we know and experience life with in our soul groups.

So it's possible "one other soul" we are the closest to I suppose. But then as we grow we love more and more..... love everyone and everything eventually. The books also mention sometimes we move out of our soul groups into higher ones as we all evolve at our own pace. So sometimes, we have to leave these "old friends" behind. Though I'm sure we can still be aware of them in ways and in "touch."

That movie, "Defending Your Life" staring Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep is a fun watch as it is about two souls, one advanced (Streep) and one not so much (Brooks) who are being judged about their past life in a kind of purgatory and they meet up and really like each other and want to go to the same place after judgement. It's a great little comedy about these subjects.