Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 27-03-2015, 09:09 PM
mystic rainbow

witchcraft and Wicca

Does anyone else have a hard time explaining to people that the type of witchcraft I practice is an ancient art and not Wiccan. I have lots of Wiccan friends, but I don't follow all of their beliefs. It seems that if the word witchcraft is used, everyone automatically assumes that you are Wiccan, but that is not the case at all.
Old 28-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Deactivated Account

I am a Witch with many Wiccan friends. Most of the serious practitioners of the Traditions know the difference. The fluffy bunnies (part time Wiccans) probably haven't bothered to study what it is they profess to believe .

Wicca is a modern resurrection by Gerald Gardner in the early "50's" and is much more interested in the ritual worship of the ancient Pantheon and social circles and Covens. The Witch generally is a solitary eclectic student of the Craft of the Ancient Ones descended from the first fire watchers of primitive pre-historic cave dwellers. Our history includes early Pagans, Sorcerers, Shaman, Medicine Workers, Witch and Magi of note over endless centuries. Our Circles and Magic are usually solitary, we are not inclined to join a Coven but enjoy participating in local open circles. We honor the Ancient Pantheon but they are not a religion for us and we generally have chosen a single Spirit Guide (God or Goddess) with whom to work. Witchcraft is a serious way of life for us.
Old 28-03-2015, 01:42 AM
mystic rainbow

Exactly Shekina! Thank you for replying. I'm glad to find someone on here with the same beliefs and practices as me and understands the frustration of having our beliefs that are older than Christianity compared to and assimilated with a relatively new worship based practice. There are not many people that share our type of craft these days and I am pleased to meet you
Old 28-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic rainbow
It seems that if the word witchcraft is used, everyone automatically assumes that you are Wiccan, but that is not the case at all.

Yes, it happens all the time. There is great confusion about British Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca and someone being a Witch.

It annoys me to no end when someone refers to themselves as a Witch when in reality they practice Wicca. I think all, or at least a lot of the confusion is due to the vast amount of misinformation on the internet and the many books put out by Llewellyn.

To some, Witchcraft is just that - a craft; but to others it is a religion (for example the Cornish Witches who have the Bucca Dhu).

Mystic rainbow mentioned that there aren't many people who share your type of craft these days - there are, but they're just hard to find. Many of them keep to themselves, do not share their beliefs and don't want to be lumped in with the Wiccan crowd. The Hereditary Witches are often even more reclusive.

Nice to meet you both
Old 29-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Master
Mystic Rainbow, Wicca is common in the US but did not attract wide popularity in the UK because Traditional Witchcraft is still strong here and wicca is seen as somewhat trivial. Having said that, many of us started off in wicca but soon departed to deeper levels.
In my area, we celebrate the old pagan festivals at a 5000 year-old henge which attracts large crowds but few overt wiccans.
You are what you are and do not need to justify yourself. If anyone presses, just reply "Pagan" !
Old 30-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Ascender
My friend Zach has a big issue with this and is often called a Devil worshipper even though people of Wicca do not believe in the Devil.
I am Christian but still respect other peoples Faith.
God Bless.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Master

Yes, it's too bad when that happens. I've been called a Devil worshipper, too. It's nice to meet someone who is open to other peoples' spiritual paths like yourself
Old 31-03-2015, 03:16 PM
mystic rainbow

It truly is great to meet people with similar interests and beliefs. I really struggle with this as it's hard being a pagan living in the bible belt. Thanks for all the replies.
Blessings and light
Old 17-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Knower
"Every Wiccan is a Witch but not every Witch is Wiccan" - My teacher.
Old 17-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemDragon09
"Every Wiccan is a Witch but not every Witch is Wiccan" - My teacher.

I used to believe that but now, there are Wiccans out there that could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be classed as a Witch. They don't have the basic knowledge to be a Witch.