Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Experiencer
Gem refractometer- Any thoughts ?

I was thinking of picking up a gem refractometer, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. I was thinking it might help identify particular stones. For those of you not familiar with the device, it measures the refractive index of a stone. Every stone bends light a different way, a diamond has an index of 2.417-2.419 and a tourmaline has an index of 1.614-.1666. With this method you can identify most gems.

I have had a few new sources from India supplying cut and faceted gems. The reviews are quite good from this seller, but the prices are so low I am skeptical. With a device like this I would know right away if I was being scammed. I would like to think I could tell the difference between say tourmaline or glass, or some synthetic, but thought that this might help take any doubts away.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or advice on the matter. I was thinking maybe a digital refractometer since you don't need any messy oils and I heard they have a higher range of index.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Master
I have a refractometer and it has easily identified gemstones that were not what they are suppose to be.

Fir example, Granditerites turned out to be High Zircon.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Experiencer
Hi BigJohn ! Thanks for the reply. It's encouraging that you say it's easy, so maybe I don't need a university degree to operate it

So you think it's a good investment for someone that buys gems from unverified sources ? I would be able to distinguish between say garnet and ruby ?

Is yours digital ? How easy is it to use ? Thanks for any insight you can give me. I know some digital ones are only 200 dollars and some much much more. I don't need it to be professional. but fairly accurate.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal canuck
Hi BigJohn ! Thanks for the reply. It's encouraging that you say it's easy, so maybe I don't need a university degree to operate it

So you think it's a good investment for someone that buys gems from unverified sources ? I would be able to distinguish between say garnet and ruby ?

Is yours digital ? How easy is it to use ? Thanks for any insight you can give me. I know some digital ones are only 200 dollars and some much much more. I don't need it to be professional. but fairly accurate.

Mine is digital.

Pretty easy to use. Put gem on a platform, cover the gem with the refractometer's cover and then press a button. The display will show the RI. Look up on a chart what the gemstone is and compare it to what it should be,

Refractometers are not the absolute for telling if what you think you bought is really what you bought, but it does help.

always new scams. One type of scam is providing a laboratory certificate with the gemstone. Some of the certificates are scams along with the gemstone.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Experiencer
Hi Bigjohn ! Digital seems pretty simple. I know I shouldn't rely on one technology alone, but yeah, I think this type of device would help avoid such scams, and someone like me, that's really interested in gems and crystals, I should be investing in some sort of equipment. Do you have one that you could recommend ? I know the ADE has questionable reviews, but it is the cheapest one. I was thinking maybe the Gem N eye, seems really good but it's twice the price.

Any other devices you think I should get other than a 10x loupe ? I am really getting interested in this hobby, more than just collecting.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 AM
Master
I bought mine from a German chap. He comes to the US for a period of time once a year. Generally he brings a large assortment of testing equipment.

I can not recommend one device over another.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Experiencer
German stuff is usually of high quality. I don't really need something professional as I am just doing it as a hobby. I am leaning towards the Chinese built units around 200-300 dollars. There is only 2 reviews, both of them not very positive, but since they have sold hundreds of these devices I might not read very much into only 2 reviews. I am in sales too, and in my experience most people don't bother writing good reviews when they are happy, but quick to complain to everyone and their dog if there is an issue. I am happy to hear you are satifsfied with your refractometer. I think digital is the way to go.