Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 11-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Knower
I'm an ex gym goer. I grew frustrated with waiting for equipment, having to wipe other people's sweat off of the machines before using them (not everyone has good gym etiquette) and really tired of hearing grown men screaming like little girls lifting the same amount of weight I was lifting. I invested in a good treadmill, got some used gym equipment off of craigslist for a song, and for the last four years I've been happily working out in my basement. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:34 PM
TesseLated

I go to the gym...very motivating....

Can listen to an album on youtube and kick it with the cardio...then some machines....then ohhhh that whirlpool or sauna...

come out feeling like melted butta'
Old 24-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Seeker

For results and gains the key-word is progressive overload. 'At home workout' usually means working out with little to no equipment. It's very hard to progress without weights. For example you want stronger shoulders and you are weak as heck.
Compare,
Gym:
Work with dumbbells and smaller barbells until you can overhead press official barbell with good technique for 10 reps. Then start adding weight every workout.
Home:
Female push-ups-->push-ups-->push-ups with one leg off the ground-->incline push-ups-->incline push-ups with weighted vest+hand stand holds against wall (don't use vest there for God's sake!) -->Freestanding handstand+negative handstand push-ups against the wall-->Hand-stand push-ups with small range of motion, increasing the range of motion frequently-->elevated handstand push-ups against the wall-->freestanding handstand push-ups-->elevated freestanding handstand push-ups

I mean, which one gets straight to the point? Which one allows you to progress smoother? For all categories of strength and muscle mass, barbells and dumbbells are absolutely better. I still love calisthenics, they are good for body awareness, muscle/joint health, endurance, mobility and for connecting your body and mind! But since most people want to gain muscles, be stronger, get better butt, tone their muscles and so on, gym is the one and only correct answer.
Some people tell to look at gymnasts, but elite gymnasts are genetically gifted athletes that have trained everyday since they were five. And still they are not even close to being as strong as strongmen, powerlifters or olympic weightlifters.

I would love train in some beautiful park using calisthenics, but I go to gym because of the results it gives. It's just so much better evidence of getting stronger to increase your back squat by 50 pounds than to learn pistol squats.
Though, well done calisthenics>****ty weight lifting. If you have motivation for calisthenics and you have no motivation for weight lifting, then choose calisthenics. It's better to do progressive calisthenics for 20 years than to lift barbell for 3 weeks and stop because you hate every second of it.
You will get more muscle by wrestling than by not doing anything, you know what I mean?!
Old 27-01-2015, 02:45 AM
Experiencer
I'm a runner first, but joined a gym a few years ago and love it. I think that it depends on what type of environment one is looking for. I like to look around, and see others working out, too. It helps to motivate me. I enjoy running solo, however...as it's a good time for me to focus and I like timing myself so I can lose momentum if I'm running with someone else. Unless someone is faster than me, which is a plus because it quickens my pace.

The nice thing about most gyms these days, is they give people a free 7 day membership to 'try it out,' and see if they like it before committing. I'd highly recommend that to see if it's something for you.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:40 AM
Master
I like to do a combination between working out at home, training at the boxing gym, and running outdoors. I like to mix it up while running, running sideways, backwards, sprinting, and sidesteps.

I just started going back into training last week just focusing on weight training at home. Luckily i have plenty of free weights at my place so i don't have to rely on a gym to train with weights. Next week i'm going to add shadowboxing. By March i will go back to training at the gym. Fitness is one of those things i have a real passion for.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:30 AM
crestfallen

I used to try to get into that whole gym thing, but I really hated it at the end when I kept getting harassed by either old guys or roidheads who thinks smirking at a girl lifting heavy weights can scare her off. It did not scared me but it did made me angry and I quit the gym after.

Working out at home has its perks. Privacy is a big one, since I don't do big crowds. I do Ballet Beautiful by Mary Helen Bower, look her up, she's amazing. I do her workouts and I am getting slimmer and tighter with zero bulk. Its awesome! Anyway, another perk is saving money as well as saving time overall, so its a great motivator for keeping up the workouts. :)
Old 16-06-2015, 04:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbry87
Hey everyone,

I was curious if any of you prefer to do home work out's than
going to the gym?

Recently I've had to give up my gym membership because I
am low on funds at the moment, so I've invested on a good Yoga/exercise
mat and have been doing Full Body Work Outs and then followed by an
ab exercise every other day.

From what I've noticed, I've started seeing a more noticeable change in
my body than from the time when I had the gym membership, and I already eat
pretty well so that's been a bonus.

Have you guys had similar experiences, and can you recommend a site
or a Youtube channel for home work outs that don't require any equipment?

Thanks in advance :]

Depends on what your goals are. If you're looking to tone up and increase your endurance, your home workouts should be fine. If you're looking to increase overall strength and build muscle, you're going to need to weight train if you want significant results.
Old 16-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Knower

I've essentially learned all I can from the gym regarding possible exercises (of which there are hundreds of thousands, though I haven't done all of them, just the base variations, so three to four thousand). Result is that I don't really want to go to a gym anymore. I can do all the most relevant ones at home.
I've made homemade weights with old bricks. 2, 3, 4 and 6 brick sets, sort of like dumbbells. Two of each. Connected with wood and screws (a wooden frame).
Then soon, probably, I will make different "dumbbells", essentially sandbags of different sizes.
And then a method to connect the weights to a strong wooden pole, strong enough to hold them and not break if I lift it up over my head.
And hopefully this summer also a pullup bar and such things, made of wood.

Why spend mountains of money going to a gym if you can get essentially the same nearly for free?

Then of course running barefoot on rough sand, with occasional stony patches.

Haven't yet had time to get into yoga type exercises.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 AM
cherrycocktail

Thank you for the tips! I'll try them
Old 12-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Newtly

It doesn't matter where you exercise as long as you get the formula right. Our body needs 300 minutes of cardiovascular a week to loose weight give or take. We also need to have at least two to three days of muscular resistance training. Male or female it doesn't matter so much, you will get the results you want by how you perform and what resistance training you do. My suggestions will always be to do one core and two complimentary muscular groups. Don't want to get super buff? Don't lift like a powerlifter.