Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Knower

Is all Mind Chatter part of Ego? Even if its positive ?

So, i guess its the first thing we realize when we start to meditate is the "Mind Chatter"

I have been meditating from quite a while and I am so grateful to the God/Creator/Energy for opening this dimension for me, to make me aware of a dimension beyond physical through an awakening. Which is obviously available to all humans, if they are open/sensitive to it.

So, as i have evolved during this process, i have noticed that there is a complete SHIFT in my mind chatter. I am more aware of my thoughts and how they shape our reality and therefore the mind chatter then tries to make it positive.

I was going through some of the videos from J. Krishnamurti (Spiritual Teacher), i realized that ALL THE MIND CHATTER, is nothing but THOUGHT ITSELF.
The one who is trying to stop the thought is the thought itseld. The Observer is hence the observed. The thought itself creates it, then deals with it, and thats how mind works.

So what do you guys think of this ? Has more spiritual development actually increased the mind chatter (due to its constant awareness of whats right and wrong) or has your mind turned more peaceful and silent ?

What do you guys do about the mind chatter, even if its good and atleast you think, its helping you . Should we even stop that ? To see life without Distortion of our mind ?

Are all thoughts, Ego ?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM
JustASimpleGuy

The mind generates thoughts. It's just what the mind does. It's my impression ego is only involved when there's a judgement or affective meaning attached. Good or bad. Right or wrong. Desirable or to be avoided.

A consistent meditation practice should reduce random mind chatter and eventually that should begin to manifest outside of formal sitting.

The mind can observe itself but the Witness (awareness) can never be observed. Also awareness wouldn't be making judgements, that's a product of mind.

This is a short explanation of the territory and might help clarify.

https://youtu.be/XRmeL7UqE_g
Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Master

Yes, meditation makes us more aware of our mental patterns. Sitting quietly with our eyes closed removes external distractions but we then have to deal with all the internal distractions - the incessant mental chatter, boredom, aching knees, etc. Gradually we become content to sit for longer and longer. And the fact that we are aware of our thoughts shows us that we are something separate from the mind.

Positive mind chatter is certainly an improvement on negative mind chatter. But best of all is no mind chatter. This requires being present and vigilant, stopping thoughts as they arise. This is not an activity of the mind - it is not thought trying to stop thinking. It is conscious awareness which prevents thoughts from arising. When we stop giving energy to our thoughts then they fade away.

Ramana Maharshi talks about this process, as does B. Alan Wallace in The Attention Revolution.

Peace
Old 06-11-2019, 06:59 PM
JustASimpleGuy

One other thing. For me there's a distinct difference between the feel of random thoughts or daydreaming and ego. Ego always carries baggage like pride or fear or envy, etc...

Sometimes it's very subtle and what I'm now in the habit of doing is whenever I recognize the feeling of ego I note it by saying 'Ego". Kind of like when beginning meditation and silently labeling distractions.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Yes, meditation makes us more aware of our mental patterns. Sitting quietly with our eyes closed removes external distractions but we then have to deal with all the internal distractions - the incessant mental chatter, boredom, aching knees, etc. Gradually we become content to sit for longer and longer. And the fact that we are aware of our thoughts shows us that we are something separate from the mind.

Positive mind chatter is certainly an improvement on negative mind chatter. But best of all is no mind chatter. This requires being present and vigilant, stopping thoughts as they arise. This is not an activity of the mind - it is not thought trying to stop thinking. It is conscious awareness which prevents thoughts from arising. When we stop giving energy to our thoughts then they fade away.

Ramana Maharshi talks about this process, as does B. Alan Wallace in The Attention Revolution.

Peace

This is what i think to but here is a confusion.
Then it becomes a 'desire' to stop the mind from chattering, becomes something mind wants to achieve.
Awareness has no desires.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Experiencer

I am not necessarily sure that all mind chatter originates from you, unfortunately you have to be the diviner of what is monkey mind and what is given in inspiration.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 AM
Well, if all thought is ego, I dunno.
But, rule of thumb for me, if it isn't nice, forgiving, compassionate
or constructive...I want nothing to do with it.

There is the ego thought system, and then, there is the Holy Spirit's thought system...
there is a big difference.

You know I do ACIM...so.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.kishan

Are all thoughts, Ego ?

Are thoughts real? Is ego real? If the chattering mind is or isn't ego would it matter to you? How would the answer impact your life?

My mind chatters a lot. I personally don't see any point in trying to stop that. I can see how one can feel more peaceful and relaxed without much chatter. But even with that i don't see one being better than the other. Maybe enjoy both, the chatter and silence.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Are thoughts real? Is ego real? If the chattering mind is or isn't ego would it matter to you? How would the answer impact your life?

Here's a recent example I can relate. After my recent experience I had a burning passion to do something. One of my thoughts was to start a meditation meetup group. I was advised of several pitfalls, and especially for someone who so recently had a shift in worldview. The gentlemen didn't come out and say what concerned him directly, but by way of anecdote. I got the gist of what he was saying and that night both before and after meditation I did some introspection and sure enough, part of my motivation wasn't exactly selfless. There was a tinge of pride behind it. The impact on my life was I ditched the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
I can see how one can feel more peaceful and relaxed without much chatter. But even with that i don't see one being better than the other.

Over the last eight years I started and stopped my meditation practice a good half dozen times. The contrast in quality of being between the on and off periods is stark. The stillness of mind during the on periods is not only more peaceful and relaxing but also more productive. Without all the incessant chatter there's so much more clarity, insight and creativity.

A good analogy is that of a lake. Toss a stone into a still lake and one can see the ripples even from the other shore. Toss the same stone into a turbulent lake and the ripples can't be seen at all.

Anyway and for me that's where the rubber meets the road.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
When we stop giving energy to our thoughts then they fade away.

Another way to say it is the continuous act of gently pulling the mind back from thought or other distraction and to the object of attending rewires the brain's circuitry via neuroplasticity.

An analogy would be that of a record. The needle has no choice but to follow the grooves and produce the sound encoded in them. Earse the grooves and there's no more unbidden mind music.