Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat
I have tried Ubuntu , but never had it running from a hard drive . Never tried Kumbutu . For thoes that dont know most Linux distros will run from a usb/dvd drive . You can install them on a hard drive if all the hard ware works with that distro . Any non Linux users are welcome to post questons . As most distros are free you might be tired of giving Bill Gates your money . I have a what Linux distro do you use over on the hip forum in the computer sec. The hip forum can be found with a search . There are distros just for hacking , like Kali ect.

https://distrowatch.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._distributions
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kali
PS I have had Studio running from a hard drive a few times . Another nice, easy to use distro . It comes bundled with a lot of programs . but the Ubuntu off shoots have a good libary of other programs that are easy to down load and set up.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?di...n=ubuntustudio

While researching distros I came across Kali. Fitting name. LOL!

I also considered Arch, however I'm not that experienced with Linux and it sounded like Arch might be a tad difficult for an inexperienced user.

All in all I'm finding Kubuntu amazingly easy to use. Turning on ufw and installing Sophos in Terminal was a snap. Epson even has Linux drivers for my Workforce 845 all-in-one, although I installed software by Turbo Print on a 30 day free trial. I like it better than the Epson software under Windows but if I want to keep using it after that it'll cost 40 euros. Oh, I also installed the Brave browser using Terminal.

I did kind of goof on my install and I'll probably redo it this weekend. I used ext3 instead of ext4 for file system because somewhere I came across an article that stated ext3 was super-stable and ext4 might not be, but of course today I came across an article that contradicted the previous one and also listed all the benefits of ext4 over ext3.

By the way, I am an IT nerd (programmer/analyst) but of the IBM mainframe variety. At least I understand the concepts and can draw parallels, and truth be told the Linux environment is a lot more transparent than Windows, or at least that's how it seems to me.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:37 PM
Master

Distros like Ubuntu and Mint are easy to use . Many of the programs that run with Kali are command line and must be correctly used . On programming , I learned basic. in the 70s . From the YouTube videos I have watched languages like c ++ and python use the same commands , just in a slightly different way .
Old 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat
Distros like Ubuntu and Mint are easy to use . Many of the programs that run with Kali are command line and must be correctly used . On programming , I learned basic. in the 70s . From the YouTube videos I have watched languages like c ++ and python use the same commands , just in a slightly different way .

Junior year of high school I took basic and senior year fortran & cobol. That was in the mid-70s and I went into the Air Force in 80 on a guaranteed contract for computer programming.

Command line stuff can be a pain. Even on the mainframe we access through an emulator on our laptops and for pushing some data around we use native ftp which is all command line stuff in the run window.

I do have a small bit of Unix experience from back in the mid-90s with GE that I don't remember too well. It was on a failed effort to port a mainframe system to a server running Solaris. I did quite a bit with shell scripts and I remember, what were they, oh yeah Awk and Sed commands and Cron for scheduling.
Old 19-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Master
Hi JASG, I'm trying to set as default browser on new laptop. I've clicked on settings, then advanced settings, but there's no option there like on my old laptop. Any ideas? Thanks.