Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 31-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Master

I managed to slow down myself

For the first time from the moment I started to meditate a year ago I managed to slow down myself and to feel the benefits instantly.

I become hyper active very easily and this causes me anxiety, it's like my body is running at the marathon while I am just sitting on my chair, so I meditated for about 20 minutes, I feel like all that inner rush is almost gone, this never ever happened before.

Usually, when I meditate, I have to wait some time to calm myself down because I can't meditate with that rush inside but this time I could do it.

Amazing!
Old 31-10-2019, 10:08 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
For the first time from the moment I started to meditate a year ago I managed to slow down myself and to feel the benefits instantly.

I become hyper active very easily and this causes me anxiety, it's like my body is running at the marathon while I am just sitting on my chair, so I meditated for about 20 minutes, I feel like all that inner rush is almost gone, this never ever happened before.

Usually, when I meditate, I have to wait some time to calm myself down because I can't meditate with that rush inside but this time I could do it.

Amazing!

That's cool! Another thing you might consider is a couple of minutes of walking meditation before starting your normal routine. It will calm you down a bit and you should get into a decent meditative state even sooner.

Just walk around the house and pay attention to anything to do with walking. How your feet hit the floor, your leg muscles, your stride, the swing of your arms, even the air pressure on your skin as you walk.
Old 31-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan

Amazing!

Hello

I enjoy your posts and they encourage me.
What a gift to share.

I have similar challenges in my life with high distractability and impulsiveness.
Not so much hyperactivity now days but one of the reasons I started meditating years ago was because I always felt restless, anxious and unable to sit still.

I do fidget alot still but meditation helps me to be more conscious and accepting of when I feel restless, bored and impulsive.

I've even been starting to learn that by being aware of my boredom, I can sit with it and I even sometimes start to enjoy it!!

I was reading a few weeks ago that if you sit with boredom for 15 minutes and just observe it, after 15 minutes the brain begins to shift into a different state which is more fluid and creative.

So it makes sense that after a twenty minute meditation you begin to feel your attention and state of being shift.
Old 31-10-2019, 11:08 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariaecheflame
I was reading a few weeks ago that if you sit with boredom for 15 minutes and just observe it, after 15 minutes the brain begins to shift into a different state which is more fluid and creative.

So it makes sense that after a twenty minute meditation you begin to feel your attention and state of being shift.

Absolutely!

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/meditation/Shamatha.pdf

From the calm abiding instructions and author - Matthew - who is very experienced.

"To begin you can start with as little as ten minutes per session but this is not recommended. A minimum of twenty minutes is recommended because it takes the human bodymind about ten minutes to "get into" anything."
Old 31-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
That's cool! Another thing you might consider is a couple of minutes of walking meditation before starting your normal routine. It will calm you down a bit and you should get into a decent meditative state even sooner.

Just walk around the house and pay attention to anything to do with walking. How your feet hit the floor, your leg muscles, your stride, the swing of your arms, even the air pressure on your skin as you walk.

Focused movement and meditation can be good to, something like boxing or dancing, martial arts, swimming or whatever focused activity a person enjoys.

Walking is very distracting for me because there are so many external stimulus and my senses are naturally heightened to them.

I am mentioning it just in case it might be useful for others who may find walking meditation quite challenging.

Cool cool :-)
Old 31-10-2019, 11:18 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Focused movement and meditation can be good to, something like boxing or dancing, martial arts, swimming or whatever focused activity a person enjoys.

Walking is very distracting for me because there are so many external stimulus and my senses are naturally heightened to them.

I am mentioning it just in case it might be useful for others who may find walking meditation quite challenging.

Cool cool :-)

True & true. I remember how focused I was on sparring days when studying Taekwondo. Not being fully in the moment could be painful. LOL!
Old 31-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
True & true. I remember how focused I was on sparring days when studying Taekwondo. Not being fully in the moment could be painful. LOL!

Haha... I bet!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM
JustASimpleGuy

One other thing about meditation and especially for any points of resistance like unbidden thoughts and such.

At the beginning of a sitting welcome them all and from the heart, and not from the perspective that if you welcome them they will then leave you alone, because they won't. LOL!

It's more a mind-set, setting expectations so as to not be frustrated. I think you'll find it makes your sittings much more positive and productive than they already are. And in time they will begin to fade away of their own volition and not through force of will.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Absolutely!

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/meditation/Shamatha.pdf

From the calm abiding instructions and author - Matthew - who is very experienced.

"To begin you can start with as little as ten minutes per session but this is not recommended. A minimum of twenty minutes is recommended because it takes the human bodymind about ten minutes to "get into" anything."

I missed this post and link and then I discovered it by stumbling my way back to the conversation like a crow who arrives to a picnic once everybody has left and goes after the scraps and crumbs lol...

(don't mind me, I am just amusing myself).
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
I missed this post and link and then I discovered it by stumbling my way back to the conversation like a crow who arrives to a picnic once everybody has left and goes after the scraps and crumbs lol...

(don't mind me, I am just amusing myself).

LOL!

That's pretty much my first serious practice and in my opinion it's a good one. Not only does it work to still the mind but also helps re-establish mind in body via the physiological explanation Matthew provides towards the end of the document.