Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 12-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Guide

Nonduality and Envy

As I set on my path, I find that I start to envy those who are "more enlightened" than me. I've gained all sorts of new levels of insight and abilities, but I keep feeling that it's not enough. It's millions much better than it used to be, but I can't seem to completely stop framing my situation as something competitive -- to feed my own strong need to be liked.

What can I do about this?
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Eelco

Stop comparing yourself to others.
Those that seem more enlightened than you often have their own struggles they don't advocate.

Consider this. In a darkened room light a candle.
Now blow it out and light another one of similar size and wick width.
Which one gives off more illumination?

With Love
Eelco
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Master

The spiritual journey is not a competition but it is human nature to compare our achievements with the apparent achievements of others. Then we criticise ourselves for not being as advanced as some, or we feel spiritual pride that we are more advanced than others.

But we cannot judge anyone else's spiritual attainments. It can be difficult enough to evaluate our own attainments. Gradually we become more content with wherever we are; we do not need to feel spiritually special. It is OK to be ordinary.

If we are fortunate enough to encounter those who are more spiritually advanced then we simply have to remind ourselves that we are now as they once were, and we will be as they are now.

Peace.
Old 15-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityLizard
As I set on my path, I find that I start to envy those who are "more enlightened" than me. I've gained all sorts of new levels of insight and abilities, but I keep feeling that it's not enough. It's millions much better than it used to be, but I can't seem to completely stop framing my situation as something competitive -- to feed my own strong need to be liked.

As long as you feel there is a scale of enlightenment you will place yourself somewhere on it and you will regard some to be above and some below you.

From a non dual perspective, Oneness is the only reality. From that perspective all are equally completely Oneness manifest. The realized are no more or less Oneness than the unrealized for it is already Oneness manifesting as the unrealized.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Guide

Hmmm . . . I'll think about all this. I wish I can say more, but I guess I have more ideas I need to listen to than say.

Thank you. :)
Old 22-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Knower
All fantastic replies in this thread. But I just wanted to add...
If you're going to seek something, seek what brings love, joy and peace to your own self. For some people its peace alone which brings love and joy to their hearts. But for others there's something else the soul cries for. So if your heart is crying for something, just follow the trail of your own heart's call, and its impossible for you to not find a life of amazement.

The funny thing about the search is... once you find the thing... you realize it was always there anyways. Why seek something which is already there? I had to learn this the hard way. And many others too. But I feel that we all go through our journey so that we may show others some form of pointer that says "this way is probably a bad idea btw".

Who do you think You Are? If you view yourself as somehow little, well smash that illusion because look at how beautiful you really are. You're sensing... feeling... hearing... knowing... learning... experiencing. And that experience is always perceived by the so-called "enlightened Self". It's always there... don't chase something that's attached to your mind inseparably anyways. It's always doing its thing so for me it helps to just let go and allow things to happen.

I'm rambling now, but I feel it's important to feel the trust in your heart that you are already where you're supposed to be. Take a step. Then another step. And so on.

If your heart screams a goal at you, then sure, fight for that lifelove your insides cry for... But don't worry bout it man... It's all good. Or it just is what it is.
Old 23-06-2018, 02:24 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112

I'm rambling now, but I feel it's important to feel the trust in your heart that you are already where you're supposed to be. Take a step. Then another step. And so on.

If your heart screams a goal at you, then sure, fight for that lifelove your insides cry for... But don't worry bout it man... It's all good. Or it just is what it is.

Thanks, man. :’) . That was beautiful.
Old 24-06-2018, 04:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityLizard

I like to think of it this way...

All reality except for the Absolute Non-Dual reality is personally subjective.

You say others are " more enlightened" than yourself...how do you know that? How can you be sure of it?

There are many great "actors" in this world, who appear to be something they are not...and more than what they are.

Even so, there will be those who are "more enlightened" and those who are " less enlightened", but by what measurement or yardstick is this judged?

Even the concept of any comparison is a whole duality within itself.

If you go on comparing, where will it stop? You will only end up comparing yourself to Jesus Christ or Mother Theresa or even God.

...and while comparing the self to God may be a good thing...whilever the ego is involved in it, it's not.
Old 25-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Knower

Could it be that you're chasing spiritual perfection? I've been using spirituality as some bar to reach for a few years now (not realising that's what i was doing) It was just another way for me to myself that i was "not enough" Maybe give yourself a break? i suspect you've earned it!
Old 26-06-2018, 02:44 AM
Seeker
Yeah, I like what Slash112 and Eelco have said.

A "search" will continue to go on until you decide to stop it by being satisfied by whatever you figure out.

But to your point, I don't know if feeling envious is necessarily a bad thing, just as pursuing a life of perpetual happiness and contentment isn't necessarily good.

I think that all of us spiritual minded people need to be more accepting of the emotions that we naturally have.
"The Godhead is never an object of it’s own knowledge. Just as a knife doesn’t cut itself, fire doesn’t burn itself, light doesn’t illumine itself. It’s always an endless mystery to itself." - Alan Watts

http://www.enlightenedpursuits.com