Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 15-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Newbie ;)

when you die

I understand that when I die my spirit will leave my body and return 'home' and that my personality/ego/mind will be in spirit land with all my loved ones. Then I get a bit confused..what happens for example if my spirit/soul incarnates again? What happens to me, my personality/ego/mind. If that happens and my soul becomes another person what happens to me? where do I go?
Old 15-03-2019, 11:56 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metchas
I understand that when I die my spirit will leave my body and return 'home' and that my personality/ego/mind will be in spirit land with all my loved ones. Then I get a bit confused..what happens for example if my spirit/soul incarnates again? What happens to me, my personality/ego/mind. If that happens and my soul becomes another person what happens to me? where do I go?

You - your spirit form who is eternal - animates whatever physical body you presently live in.

What you think of as 'me' right now can be thought of as a 'composite person' made up of your spirit and the body it is giving 'life energy' to. Your body will eventually stop working and die but your spirit is eternal and may choose a further life at some point. If that happens you will animate another body and 'me' will be a different 'composite person' but still animated by the 'real' you, your spirit.

The personality of any particular incarnate is unique to that incarnate although some of a former personality may be 'carried over' to become part of a new one.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Strangerthanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
You - your spirit form who is eternal - animates whatever physical body you presently live in.

What you think of as 'me' right now can be thought of as a 'composite person' made up of your spirit and the body it is giving 'life energy' to. Your body will eventually stop working and die but your spirit is eternal and may choose a further life at some point. If that happens you will animate another body and 'me' will be a different 'composite person' but still animated by the 'real' you, your spirit.

The personality of any particular incarnate is unique to that incarnate although some of a former personality may be 'carried over' to become part of a new one.

Nicely put. I made a post previously about the personality. If the personality is unique to every incarnation then do you think the brain itself has a personality or do you think the interaction between the spirit and the body creates a unique personality to the incarnated?

I really don't know what to think about this. If the personality comes merely from the brain then we should expect to not carry it with us. However if we do carry it with us then people with alzheimer's who's personality changes logically take their alzheimer personality with them. However it just isn't logical to take personality with you if it comes from the brain merely. However if the "composite person" as you called it creates a unique personality, that is, the synergy of the brain and soul creates a unique personality then when the brain is shut down certain aspects or the full aspect could carry on in a way we don't know about.

I personally think we have a spiritual personality. There is a fact that some who are reincarnated carry over aspects of their previous personality like certain behaviors. So a child who previously were born higher up in a hindu caste and in the next life is born in a lower rank may refuse to live like the ones in the lower caste.

I don't know about the brain's personality. If there is a synergy between the brain and the soul which creates a distinct personality then maybe we take that personality with us but then it means people with brain damage to the brain will carry their personality with them. There are ghosts who were ill in life with for example mental problems and then they carry these aspects with them and haunt the surrounding areas. I think this happens because they get stuck in their earthbound energy. So in my view we may take all aspects with us but we may also abandon some aspects depending on our spiritual level. In the end we all will be stripped of the parts of our personalities that belongs to the earthly body and then we will only have our spiritual personality left unless we choose not to advance enough to leave those aspects behind.
Old 27-08-2019, 10:47 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction
Nicely put.

thank you

Quote:
I made a post previously about the personality. If the personality is unique to every incarnation then do you think the brain itself has a personality or do you think the interaction between the spirit and the body creates a unique personality to the incarnated?

The brain does not have a personality. You might want to think of the brain as equivalent to the CPU of a computer. The brain drives the body's functions in a similar way to the CPU driving the function of the computer. When either stop working then so does the whole device.

Quote:
I really don't know what to think about this. If the personality comes merely from the brain then we should expect to not carry it with us. However if we do carry it with us then people with alzheimer's who's personality changes logically take their alzheimer personality with them. However it just isn't logical to take personality with you if it comes from the brain merely. However if the "composite person" as you called it creates a unique personality, that is, the synergy of the brain and soul creates a unique personality then when the brain is shut down certain aspects or the full aspect could carry on in a way we don't know about.

As I've tried to illustrate above the brain is simply a cpu. Personality comes from the combination of animating spirit and the incarnate it animates. Some of your personality was carried forward from previous incarnations, 'stored' somehow in your spirit. (I can't explain how that happens as I don't know!) Some of your personality from this current incarnation will be carried forward by your spirit into a new incarnation.

Quote:
I personally think we have a spiritual personality. There is a fact that some who are reincarnated carry over aspects of their previous personality like certain behaviors. So a child who previously were born higher up in a hindu caste and in the next life is born in a lower rank may refuse to live like the ones in the lower caste.

Kinda similar to how I've explained things above but your example is conjecture and may, or may not, be accurate.

Quote:
I don't know about the brain's personality. If there is a synergy between the brain and the soul which creates a distinct personality then maybe we take that personality with us but then it means people with brain damage to the brain will carry their personality with them.

As I've tried to indicate earlier, personality isn't found in the brain.

Quote:
There are ghosts who were ill in life with for example mental problems and then they carry these aspects with them and haunt the surrounding areas. I think this happens because they get stuck in their earthbound energy.

It's a possibility that some spirits may find it hard to make the transition 'back home' for that reason but that's just one of a number of possibilities.

Quote:
So in my view we may take all aspects with us but we may also abandon some aspects depending on our spiritual level. In the end we all will be stripped of the parts of our personalities that belongs to the earthly body and then we will only have our spiritual personality left unless we choose not to advance enough to leave those aspects behind.

We aren't subject to any stripping of anything about ourselves. We may indeed choose to leave behind aspects of our former incarnate lives as we progress spiritually but some individuals may find attraction in remaining for a time, perhaps a long time, at their personal level of progression. We have choices and nothing is forced upon us.
Old 24-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Master

Quote:
As I've tried to illustrate above the brain is simply a cpu. Personality comes from the combination of animating spirit and the incarnate it animates. Some of your personality was carried forward from previous incarnations, 'stored' somehow in your spirit. (I can't explain how that happens as I don't know!) Some of your personality from this current incarnation will be carried forward by your spirit into a new incarnation.

Here is a possible explanation based on the Theosophical teachings of Alice Bailey. Make of it what you will.

Just as the personality expresses itself on the physical plane through the physical body via the brain, so the Soul expresses itself in the worlds of form through the Causal Body, found on the higher mental planes.

The Causal Body reflects the development of the Soul in form. Part of the Causal Body consists of "permanent atoms" for the mental, emotional and physical bodies. These permanent atoms are like blueprints. They reflect the previous developments of the mental, emotional and physical bodies, and they are modified with each incarnation. So they also form the basis of our new mental, emotional and physical bodies in a new incarnation.

This does not necessarily mean that each new incarnation continues from where the previous incarnation left off. The permanent atoms are like the full blueprint, but in one incarnation certain features may be emphasised and in the next incarnation different features may be emphasised. Eventually we become fully rounded human beings.

Is this explanation true? Who knows. But it does make sense to me.

Peace.
Old 24-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction
If the personality is unique to every incarnation then do you think the brain itself has a personality or do you think the interaction between the spirit and the body creates a unique personality to the incarnated?

If the personality comes merely from the brain then we should expect to not carry it with us. However if we do carry it with us then people with alzheimer's who's personality changes logically take their alzheimer personality with them. However it just isn't logical to take personality with you if it comes from the brain merely. However if the "composite person" as you called it creates a unique personality, that is, the synergy of the brain and soul creates a unique personality then when the brain is shut down certain aspects or the full aspect could carry on in a way we don't know about.

I don't know about the brain's personality. If there is a synergy between the brain and the soul which creates a distinct personality then maybe we take that personality with us but then it means people with brain damage to the brain will carry their personality with them. There are ghosts who were ill in life with for example mental problems and then they carry these aspects with them and haunt the surrounding areas. I think this happens because they get stuck in their earthbound energy. So in my view we may take all aspects with us but we may also abandon some aspects depending on our spiritual level. In the end we all will be stripped of the parts of our personalities that belongs to the earthly body and then we will only have our spiritual personality left unless we choose not to advance enough to leave those aspects behind.

This comes down to our ideas about the nature of a human being. You seem to consider a human being as having two components, a spiritual soul functioning through a physical body via the brain. Somehow the two combine to create a personality.

Other schools of thought consider a human being as having several bodies. Consciousness (the Soul) functions through a mental body, an emotional body, an etheric energy body and the dense physical body. Personality is the combination of our mental and emotional patterns expressing through the etheric/physical body.

So after the death of the physical body, the etheric energy body also dissolves as it no longer serves a purpose. Personality (as the combined mental and emotional bodies) continues to exist, functioning on the astral planes (except in those cases where someone is reluctant to leave behind the physical plane).

Eventually the emotional body is also abandoned and consciousness shifts to the mental plane, functioning through the mental body. Finally the mental body is also abandoned and the personality ceases to exist, although the memories are stored in consciousness. At some stage consciousness will take on new vehicles for a new incarnation - the nature of these vehicles will depend on the previous mental/emotional/etheric development.

This approach seems to provide a satisfactory explanation of the (temporary) survival of the personality after death, and also explains why personality in one life usually has no recall of personalities in previous lives.

And if someone has Alzheimers then it may be simply that the physical brain is no longer functioning effectively. The personality exists intact and unchanged but can no longer express itself through the physical body - some connections have been damaged.

Peace.
Old 16-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metchas

You're right. It doesn't make sense. There must be another explanation.

I believe that dying feels like waking up to another you than the you are now.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-03-2019, 12:37 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
You're right. It doesn't make sense. There must be another explanation.

I believe that dying feels like waking up to another you than the you are now.

But that's not what the so-called dead tell us they experienced when they passed over.
Old 16-03-2019, 06:00 AM
Master

Quote:
But that's not what the so-called dead tell us they experienced when they passed over.

And those so called dead people, that would tell you what ever they choose, & of who Earthlings can not see with their eyes....who infact are these dead people & and what quality of Soul are they of...IS THEIR QUALITY OF SOUL, POOR & LACKING OF A TRUTHFUL MANNER.

Do they have a nefarious reason for having EARTHLINGS believe in re'incarnation.
Old 16-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Master

Metchas would be better of understanding that the loving God entity has created two heavens for all beings to reside in.

The lesser Heavens of six spheres & the other being the Holy Kingdom & of innumerable spheres.
The first sphere of the Holy Kingdom is the seventh sphere & of which leads on from the sixth sphere of the lesser Heavens

And both Heavens are of total free abundance & love & of which all beings can live in & learn & progress in the highest of morals without re'incarnation.

The above is for anyones considerations & you may ask questions....regards Neil.