Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-07-2018, 02:16 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
If you are starting out to Meditation take it one step at a time don't try to rush it. the easiest one to follow to begin with is the third eye meditation.
sit quietly close your eyes.etc if you loose focus bring your attention back to your third eye.focus on that.as you get more accustomed to doing it, you will find you don't need to bring your focus back to the third eye.

Namaste

Thank you for your advice! I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, since I feel quite 'adjusted,' for lack of a better word. I switch between meditation practices but my last session conveyed that I should stick to one: the classic watching of breath, since that really helps me.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenieInABottle
Would you recommend that I simply concentrate on my breath for a long duration or should I try and let go of everything?
There are two main ways of learning meditation for beginners.

One way are the 'one focus' methods, pick something and focus only on that (candle, breath, spot on the wall, whatever). The idea is to reduce the number of things going on to one. When you get to the last item, let that go.

The other method is the no focus method which more or less bypasses the intermediate state of one focus. One starts by just being (quit, still) without any focus. If a focus is noticed, reset to no focus. This is in theory more direct, however beginners usually have too much trouble not focusing and end up in a counter productive state of focusing on 'not focusing'.

I am a fan of the 'watch your thoughts method' (no focus). One simply gets comfortable and notices whatever comes up. When something does come up (thought, mind chatter, emotion, physical discomfort), label is as such, then do nothing about it. Return to watching for the next thing that comes up. If you miss a few things, as happens, don't worry about, just continue to be as vigilant as possible. I know it seems nothing will happen because you aren't doing anything about what comes up, I assure you that over time less stuff will come up. Eventually, even 'you' might not come up.

Pick whatever works best for you. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter which as eventually you will have no need of either 'method', you will be able to simply drop into a meditative state at will.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 AM
Master
Quote:
That sounds wonderful! I think I did slip into the state we're speaking of the last time I meditated (several hours ago). Although I could no longer hear the sounds I heard before slipping into the state (like the air conditioner), I could still 'hear' my mind -- or I was still witnessing thoughts, even though I was supposedly in the gap. They seemed different somehow, I don't know -- like more effortless. Similarly to what you're saying now, expectation overcame me once I realized what happened and I was unable to let go of the expectation of reaching the state once again.
The easiest way to let go of expectation is to literally live in the moment. Quiet your mind and have your focus fixed on the here and now.
Expectation brings with it anticipation, which takes us out of the moment. Everything is taking place in the here and now. Here is something
I wrote about this some time ago.

IT ALL EXIST IN THE MOMENT

The mind exist to reflect on the past and future,
but you will always exist in the moment.

Your relationship with the universe exists in the moment,
all the wisdom you seek exist in the moment.

The most fulfilling rich, sweet, thick love exist in the moment.
Freedom from time and space exist in the moment.
Your greater Self exists in the moment.

Time is a shadow play used to develop the moment.
Time keeps everything from happening at once,
but everything is happening in the moment..

The eternal now is truly all there is. Find your center within
and listen to the quiet silence. Stretch, breathe deeply and
give thanks for this moment.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein

One way are the 'one focus' methods, pick something and focus only on that (candle, breath, spot on the wall, whatever). The idea is to reduce the number of things going on to one. When you get to the last item, let that go.

The other method is the no focus method which more or less bypasses the intermediate state of one focus. One starts by just being (quit, still) without any focus. If a focus is noticed, reset to no focus. This is in theory more direct, however beginners usually have too much trouble not focusing and end up in a counter productive state of focusing on 'not focusing'.

I am a fan of the 'watch your thoughts method' (no focus). One simply gets comfortable and notices whatever comes up. When something does come up (thought, mind chatter, emotion, physical discomfort), label is as such, then do nothing about it. Return to watching for the next thing that comes up. If you miss a few things, as happens, don't worry about, just continue to be as vigilant as possible. I know it seems nothing will happen because you aren't doing anything about what comes up, I assure you that over time less stuff will come up. Eventually, even 'you' might not come up.

Pick whatever works best for you. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter which as eventually you will have no need of either 'method', you will be able to simply drop into a meditative state at will.

Thank you for suggesting another technique. I'll definitely try the no focus method. Also, you're right about eventually not needing either method, because when I meditated regularly, it was much easier to fall into a meditative state at will (I'd just have to focus on something for a few minutes before reaching the state).
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
The easiest way to let go of expectation is to literally live in the moment. Quiet your mind and have your focus fixed on the here and now.
Expectation brings with it anticipation, which takes us out of the moment. Everything is taking place in the here and now. Here is something
I wrote about this some time ago.

IT ALL EXIST IN THE MOMENT

The mind exist to reflect on the past and future,
but you will always exist in the moment.

Your relationship with the universe exists in the moment,
all the wisdom you seek exist in the moment.

The most fulfilling rich, sweet, thick love exist in the moment.
Freedom from time and space exist in the moment.
Your greater Self exists in the moment.

Time is a shadow play used to develop the moment.
Time keeps everything from happening at once,
but everything is happening in the moment..

The eternal now is truly all there is. Find your center within
and listen to the quiet silence. Stretch, breathe deeply and
give thanks for this moment.

Thank you, that is a beautiful piece of writing. I will keep it in mind, not only going into my next meditation session, but also otherwise.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:

I attempted the no focus method, but I kept holding my breath while trying it, for some reason. As soon as I'd take a breath in, my focus would immediately shift to my breath. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 AM
Master
Quote:
I attempted the no focus method, but I kept holding my breath while trying it, for some reason. As soon as I'd take a breath in, my focus would immediately shift to my breath. Am I doing it wrong?
It's not clear you labeled that you where holding your breath though I will assume you did. The only step not listed above which would follow labeling "holding breath" is to diligently return to noticing.

In the beginning everyone does a few (problematic) things over and over again (the exact things vary from person to person). All that is required to allow those things to fade away is to be diligent with the practice and patient with yourself.

In short just keep at it.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Master

Quote:

personally i get a lot of mileage out of 'holding my breath'.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
It's not clear you labeled that you where holding your breath though I will assume you did. The only step not listed above which would follow labeling "holding breath" is to diligently return to noticing.

In the beginning everyone does a few (problematic) things over and over again (the exact things vary from person to person). All that is required to allow those things to fade away is to be diligent with the practice and patient with yourself.

In short just keep at it.

I'm sorry, it does sound quite confusing. I meant that while not focusing on anything, I'd hold my breath. However, when I started breathing, my focus would shift to my breath. I'll try labeling it and move on. Thank you for your advice!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
personally i get a lot of mileage out of 'holding my breath'.

Really? If you don't mind me asking, how do you do that? Do you hold your breath throughout?