Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-06-2017, 01:44 AM
Newbie ;)

Cool Help: I forget to focus on breathing

Hello!

So I have a peculiar meditation challenge for which I would appreciate the perspective of experienced practitioners.

I focus on my breath.

Distracting thoughts arise.

I acknowledge them and re-focus on my breath.

And then after I repeat this cycle a few times I re-focus on my breath and then I get distracted by ... nothing.

I forget to stay focused on my breath, but I don't focus on anything else either.

No thoughts about anything, just no mind, sometimes for a long period of time.

It is as if I am sleeping peacefully but while awake.

Question: Is this a good thing? Or is this just as off target as pursuing running random thoughts? Should I embrace this sleeping while awake feeling or should I instead strive to be fully aware and conscious of my breath for as long as my meditation possible?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

Stav
Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 AM
Master

I'm not a meditation guru, but, personally, I think you are in a good place.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:13 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavA
Question: Is this a good thing?
Or is this just as off target as pursuing running random thoughts?
It is a mode of consciousness. There are many and neither is better or worse.
Quote:
Should I embrace this sleeping while awake feeling or should I instead strive to be fully aware and conscious of my breath for as long as my meditation possible?
Whatever mode of consciousness may arise to embrace any of them is no good idea since all are impermanent modes anyway. Embracing one may entail rejecting others and it isn't reasonable to reject reality as it is.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Master

We can meditate on many things, but they are simply something to focus on to calm the mind. Whatever we choose to meditate on gets left behind as we go deeper into meditation.

So if we begin by focusing on the breath and then move into a state of just being without the distraction of thought, then the breath has served its purpose. As FallingLeaves says, it sounds like you are in a good place.

Peace.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:01 AM
Knower
I think I experienced a similar state: no awareness, no mindfulness, no concentration, a feeling like there is no mind, actually. I don't think insight can be gained from such a state, there is no chance to observe things as they really are. I'm not experienced either, but I would advice to stay focused on the breath, notice when you are not focused on it anymore, and return to the breath.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Hello!

So I have a peculiar meditation challenge for which I would appreciate the perspective of experienced practitioners.

I focus on my breath.

And then after I repeat this cycle a few times I re-focus on my breath and then I get distracted by ... nothing.

I forget to stay focused on my breath, but I don't focus on anything else either.

Question: Is this a good thing? Or is this just as off target as pursuing running random thoughts? Should I embrace this sleeping while awake feeling or should I instead strive to be fully aware and conscious of my breath for as long as my meditation possible?

Stav

Well done !! Learning to *still the mind* and go into a state of relaxation.
You may also find, your breathing becomes soo shallow, it almost feel like you've stopped breathing.
We focus on the breathing as it is easier to help take our mind away from any distractions. But as our body becomes calm and relaxed everything just becomes *still and quiet*

Its amazing isn't it? lolol we are all soo used to having busy minds, that its astounding when theres nothing there, its all silent.

Enjoy the peace :)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Hello!

I focus on my breath.

Stav

How do you feel in that state? Do you feel good, calm, centerered etc...

Meditation is not about the object your focusing on it's about being at peace, being gentle and kind to what is happening in the present moment!!! The breath is just a tool to get you in that state of being present. So if you feel good, calm etc... i will say it's a very good thing and congrats your reached what is called a medatative state, that is PERFECT. Focus on that(cause then your in the present moment)when you reached that state.

I suggest keep going, your doing great!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Newbie ;)

I am an absolute beginner in meditation and reading what you have achieved I feel you have already got to a state where so many regular practitioners of meditation want to reach. Well done.

Do share how you feel when you are able to control your mind and think of nothing. It will motivate beginners like myself.