Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 14-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Experiencer
Finding Time to Meditate

Here's a list of my excuses lol

i'm a new mom with a baby, normally I get to meditate when my baby naps, but i've been on holidays for a week (in Waikiki) and my baby is attached to my hip as is my husband who doesn't believe in anything spiritual, including meditation. I haven't been able to sneak away for even 10 minutes to meditate becuacse when baby is sleeping, I'm trapped in my hotel room (with hubby) and when she's awake, she needs me.

Then I get back home next week, and will be able to get back to my regular meditation schedule. Then I go back to work!

I will be working 2 jobs, and being a new mom working, and wife ... it's overwhelming to think of when I'd be able to meditate.

How do you busy people of the world do it and find time? I wake up early with baby I can't imagine waking up any earlier, and then I guess I could do it around 8 pm after I put her to bed? but by that time I'd already had a red wine with my dinner, and I don't like the idea of meditating after drinking ... even 1 glass ..

anyways, random thoughts. I've had my awakening, and had a successful 2 months of spiriitual growth and successfull readings as a medium, now I am feeling very disconnected spiritually, so I appreciate you allowing me to vent on this platform :)
Old 15-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Master
Lucky to even have an excuse. I'm not even busy. I'm just too lazy. My reason for not meditating is like, I couldn't be stuffed.
Old 15-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Master
A moment or two can always be found as you lay for sleep at night..... ;)
Old 15-10-2014, 12:57 PM
stardustpilgrim

simultaniety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenifly

i'm a new mom with a baby, normally I get to meditate when my baby naps, but i've been on holidays for a week (in Waikiki) and my baby is attached to my hip as is my husband who doesn't believe in anything spiritual, including meditation. I haven't been able to sneak away for even 10 minutes to meditate becuacse when baby is sleeping, I'm trapped in my hotel room (with hubby) and when she's awake, she needs me.

Then I get back home next week, and will be able to get back to my regular meditation schedule. Then I go back to work!

I will be working 2 jobs, and being a new mom working, and wife ... it's overwhelming to think of when I'd be able to meditate.

How do you busy people of the world do it and find time? I wake up early with baby I can't imagine waking up any earlier, and then I guess I could do it around 8 pm after I put her to bed? but by that time I'd already had a red wine with my dinner, and I don't like the idea of meditating after drinking ... even 1 glass ..

anyways, random thoughts. I've had my awakening, and had a successful 2 months of spiriitual growth and successfull readings as a medium, now I am feeling very disconnected spiritually, so I appreciate you allowing me to vent on this platform :)

Hello Serenifly....... You can catch small moments here and there, sitting at a red-light, waiting in line at the bank or grocery store, going to the bathroom or water fountain, walking from here to there.

There is the principle of simultaneity. What is meditation? In the beginning the basis of meditation is the use of attention. If that is not immediately recognizable, just examine it. One simple form of meditation is watching the breath. This is a form of sensing. You can expand this to using any of the senses. So noticing colors is a form of meditation. Noticing shapes of objects is a form of meditation. Noticing sounds is a form of meditation. You can notice odors (especially taking care of a baby :-) ... :-( Do you really taste your food when you eat?

Via simultaneity you can "meditate", meditate, while doing any ordinary task in life. There are many things we do where thought is not necessary (washing dishes, washing clothes, folding clothes, giving or taking a bath, carrying out the garbage, sitting in a doctor's office), one can meditate during these tasks, via sensing. Eventually, maybe after very much practice, you can even meditate during mental tasks, and eventually while doing anything. Experiment.

sdp
Old 15-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Master
I think this would be a perfect method for you. You don't need any special time away to do it. While you are feeding the baby this would work perfect!

The Practice of the Neutral Witness is a practice of simply watching our thoughts and emotions, without getting caught up in them. One just watches what is happening, and their internal reaction, without any judgment or attachment and aversion.

Becoming angry is a good time to try to work with this practice. In the beginning, one will only be able to notice what they did after the anger response. Then, with practice, one will be able to watch them-self getting angry, but will still get caught up in the event and the normal anger response. With greater practice, while watching, one can actually take control of response and stop it if they want.

If one remains identified with what is arising in consciousness, it is very difficult to make any real change. But, if we can begin to breakdown our self-identification with thoughts and emotions, and even events in daily life, it becomes much easier. Similarly, one finds that by merely relaxing and letting go of self-identification with the emotions and thoughts, and focusing on what is happening at the moment, problems and issues just sort of fall away. Basically, the Neutral Witness is an exercise in the cultivation of self-awareness and focusing on the moment. At any time, anywhere, just let go and let be, and become the Neutral Witness of all that is transpiring within and all around you.

Pay attention to your body and with your awareness scan your body. Notice its posture and all of the sensations in the body, including any tensions or stresses. Then shift your focus to the feeling-emotions underlying the bodily sensations, allowing yourself to become aware of your feelings and emotions. Then shift your focus to the thoughts associated with these feelings and emotions. This practice can be done in the midst of any activity of daily life. One can engage in this practice for prolonged periods of time, but even just five or ten minutes here and there during the day is very powerful. Witnessing is not something you do, it is the realization of focusing on the moment. Awareness is always present, even when you are totally absorbed in an activity or thought.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Guide
Quote:

I can't say I'm as busy as you but I am busy with work during the weekday and can meditated during work anytime that I take a mental break from working. When I finish a job I am working on, I like to take 2-5 min just to relax my muscles and breath. You don't have to be sitting with eyes closed and candles surrounding you to meditate (although it does add to the experience).

Anytime you have a break (whether you are feeding you baby, have a sec of free time during work, or even driving), bring you attention inward. Focus on breathing, focus on the chakras if you have experience with that, focus on relaxing any tense muscles, resight some mantras to relax the mind. All these can be done with open eyes and in public and no one will know.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Old 18-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Master

Quote:

Meditation is essentially living in a state of constant awareness or mindfulness. That is, living in the present moment.

As per Ramana Maharshi, an enlightened master , 'The life of action need not to be renounced. If you will meditate one hour or two every day , you can then carry on your duties.'

So if you meditate for an hour or two properly, you can then be easily in an aware or mindful state throughout the rest of the day. This state of awareness will also ensure that you are in high energy levels due to inner joy and happiness, and will perform your duties well efficiently and proactively without getting in any reactive conflicts which saps one's energies, time and resources. Meditation also develops a positive attitude, which is a force-multiplier in itself.

So meditation actually greatly increases one's effectiveness and efficiency.

The time period from 4:00 A.M to 7:00 a.m is very auspicious for the practice of meditation due to peaceful vibrations present at this time of dawn, and is considered the best and most productive time for meditation better than any other time.

If you can practice meditation during this time period, it can amply charge you up for the rest of the day.

Also one must also endeavour to perform one's duties in a state of awareness as well, and not unconsciously. This is ensuring meditation in action and work, and remaining energetic and fresh as well in the process.

As George Gurdjieff stated, "The energy produced by conscious work is immediately converted for fresh work; energy used mechanically is lost forever."

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 18-10-2014, 12:13 PM
esotericaljunky

You can meditate anywhere!
Even when taking a dump!!!
Or walking, or washing the dishes!
Their really is no excuse!
Even lazy people can meditate.
Old 18-10-2014, 12:25 PM
If you can alter your feelings about meditation it could help.
As in, seeing it as a special, loving, quiet time...kind of like
being alone and indulging in a triple chocolate piece of cake
melting in your mouth.
We can always find time for that!

Meditation is a luscious indulgence in feeling the Divine Presence for me.
Now, see?
How easy is that! Just like cake!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-10-2014, 02:17 AM
esotericaljunky

maybe lose the label and relegate the add ons which are what put people off.

add ons include

you must meditate with eyes open/half open/closed

find what works for you.

another add on is you must concentrate on your breath

I may concentrate on my breath to settle into my meditation but its only for 30 secs to 1 minute.

embrace your inner space without dogma!