Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 15-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Master
Tarot 101

This thread is here to help beginners to the Tarot understand the basics of a Tarot deck and give guidance in carrying out a reading. There is a wealth of experience in SF to give help in the Tarot and allow the beginner to make a start at gaining experience by doing. I imagine that readers at all levels have questions also that they would like some help with too. So, a Self-Help thread.
So, folks, we have comfortable virtual seats and excellent virtual coffee and cookies, so lets begin. OK, we are open for business
Old 15-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Master
Lovely!!

I have a question about spreads actually. I wonder if people have their favourite spreads that work for them and do they stick to them religiously, do you find it hard to switch from one spread to another, do you use several together?

I find that I get stuck on the three card spread almost all the time. Celtic Cross just about does my head in with all the possibilities and maybe this's that come up.

Old 16-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Master
Like you, Kaere, I find the Celtic Cross too complicated. I prefer simple, just like me, so I stick to three cards. I see that some people use three cards as Past, Present, Future but I just look to link the three cards in a continuous narrative.

My question concerns Reversals. I just ignore them. Anyone else got a feeling about that ?
Old 16-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Lostgirl

If its a reading for someone else i generally do a three card spread past, present and future, unless its a specific question or situation then i do a question and answer spread. One card represents the situation and the other 2 cards represent 2 diffrent paths they could take.

For my self i do either the three card or a daily spead which is 4/5 cards.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:14 PM
tsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Like you, Kaere, I find the Celtic Cross too complicated. I prefer simple, just like me, so I stick to three cards. I see that some people use three cards as Past, Present, Future but I just look to link the three cards in a continuous narrative.

My question concerns Reversals. I just ignore them. Anyone else got a feeling about that ?

I'm a beginner, but have learnt basic readings. What I learnt about reversals are to go back to the preciding cards, e.g. if it's a reversed 8 of cups, I'll go back to 7 of cups. The card that precedes the Fool is the World, and the cards that precedes Aces are the tens of the respective suits. As there is no obvious preceding card for the Page cards, we can pick a card from the Minor Arcana to help us identify the aspect of life the reversed Page is referring to.Once we have considered what the reversed card is telling us, we can turn the card upright, because that is the energy we need to attract and apply, like overcoming barriers.

Thus in my opinion, if the deck is arranged with no reversals, we may not know whether the cards in the spread is reversed, as message will be different. Just my personal opinion.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:20 PM
LightBearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman

i have found reversals to be very usefull, given one instance, if you ignore a reversal, you may read a strong male figure in dominance, but if you include the reversal it would read a strong male figure in the background supporting. just one example of how i have read it in the past.
Old 16-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Master
Interesting stuff. I don't read reversals - I use the other cards surrounding to give an idea of reversal. Ace of Cups with 5 of Pentacles would tell me that the sitter should avoid being too insular and focusing on the lack or they'll miss seeing a potential romance. Whereas the Ace on it's own would tell me that it's right there in front of them and they're aware.

At least, that's how I'd read it.

Old 17-11-2010, 03:51 PM
sunny shine

thank you noresman for considering beginners like me. I too find the three card spread easy as of now, because for you guys if its complicated, it would be like moving mountains for me be :-D

i think i can create stories with my imagination when i pick up cards, but how do i know what i am imagining would be true for who i am reading?
Old 18-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Master
Imagination plus Intuition SS. Two guide lines to follow
1. Does it make sense ? 2. Does it FEEL right ?

But dont forget to "read" the card. What is happening in the card ? What happens next ? How did the card come to be where it is ? A sort-of past, present, future of the card. If the card could actually speak, what would it say to you ?

Some people say that the best way to come to know a card is to sleep with it under your pillow and it will "talk" to you while you are asleep.
Old 18-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Master
I love this even though I'm such a novice at tarot I just can't get it into my thick brain on how to use them even though I've had tarot decks for all of 20 years......this is great because it's in plain simple language...thankyou Norseman.
Spiritlite.