Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 22-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Seeker
Meditation and ADD

It wasn't until fairly recently that I was officially diagnosed with severe ADD.

I've tried multiple times to begin a regular meditation practice, but I can't seem to get myself to focus on anything longer than 8 mins. Each time I get pretty discouraged and end up not doing it for a while, yet I know that in order for me to truly progress spiritually, I have to learn how to meditate.

I guess what I'm asking is what can I do to keep up a regular meditation practice? Do I just have to try really really hard!?
Old 22-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Pathfinder

I don't have add, but I do get distracted easily and my mind was always on the go. What I found to help at first was guided meditations on podcasts. Hay house meditations is a good one for me. I slowly worked my way to just listening to music to block out the distractions. But mess around with different things that you think might be helpful. Even if you can meditate for only 8 minutes, that's a good start. I only mediate for 5 minutes at times, and sometimes I feel better during those 5 minutes than my 30 minute session lol. Just don't give up! You got this!
Old 22-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Deactivated Account

Are you on medication? I feel that will make a huge difference in your practice. Although, I personally feel meditation can be a difficult discipline for anyone starting out, it really is a practice that requires self discipline, ADD or not. However, finding a meditation technique shouldn't be too difficult, I am sure you can google many different types of meditations online depending on your desired goal.

For me personally, my prescribed medication heightened the blood flow,and it heightened the sensories, and even the bliss. I have been medication free almost a year and have taken a more holistic approach with my mental state including change of diet, adding specific vitamins. To me, there is a significant difference being on the medication vs being off of it, I feel more at peace ( stillness) and less controlled by the heightened impulses/emotions. Still, off or on medication, you will still reap great benefits, as far as clearing your mind and cleaning up the mental clutter/noise.

What significantly helps me is music, even something as simple as soft bell tones, white noise,or sounds of the ocean and rain, it is a 'distraction' that keeps my impulses both interested and calm. Someone told me they did 'walking' meditation, maybe that is something to look into. I am a person who can't just sit and meditate to nothing, not way hehe. In front of a lake and feeling onness outside with nature I highly recommended.
Old 22-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Seeker
ADD and other similar disorders often arise because of artificial chemicals in the food and also because of lack of natural nutrients. Eat healthy, organic and fresh vegetarian food. That should help.

Pray to the Divine for help also. I recommend the self enquiry teachings of Sri Ramana. The attention may waver but the deeper awareness is steady and peaceful.

I would advise to avoid such medications as they are often addictive, have side effects and can damage the inner mechanism. Spiritual development does not need these unnatural chemicals that were created as part of a money making business and by groups that some believe are trying to suppress human spirituality and freedom.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Guide
See if you have st time slot for sitting for meditation, say 50 minutes, it is not neessary that yur initial meditation go for all 50 minutes. but if you have successful or 8 miutes its big success. keep it doing and within few days you will master meditation.
I am not suffering from ADD or ADHD syndromes yet I was having same focus problem as you. but continue it till slot is over. if concentration & focus lost in thoughts then start again in focusing on it till slot is over.
You can do meditation many time within same 50 minutes slot.
Old 23-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila King
It wasn't until fairly recently that I was officially diagnosed with severe ADD.

I've tried multiple times to begin a regular meditation practice, but I can't seem to get myself to focus on anything longer than 8 mins. Each time I get pretty discouraged and end up not doing it for a while, yet I know that in order for me to truly progress spiritually, I have to learn how to meditate.

I guess what I'm asking is what can I do to keep up a regular meditation practice? Do I just have to try really really hard!?

We usually find that any person starting meditation would maintain focus for a minute or less, and be lost in thought for perhaps 3 or 5 minutes before they remember their focus, so you probably do better than you give yourself credit for. It's really a simple process of returning to the focus whenever you remember to. It doesn't matter how long you hold focus or how long you remain distracted.

There is a thing which is called 'right effort', but it's not really like trying really hard; its more like a persistent determination. It involves not thinking things like 'my focus is not good', or 'I can't focus for long', or something like that. It's just the noticeable fact that mind wanders away and the returning of conscious attention. No second thoughts about it like 'because of ADD' or anything else - mind just wanders away, and when you remember, you return. That's the fact of how it is, so that's the way it is...
Old 23-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Experiencer
I was diagnosed 4 years back with ADD. I'm still on medication, it helps with my work too much to go cold turkey. With meditation and contemplation I can say I'm far stiller than I ever was, and even off the add meds.

There is really sound advice here from everyone, start with something simple like a goal to quiet your mind for 2-5 seconds. If you can do that multiple times a day you will find its easier to slow your mind down for longer periods of time. For myself, I started off with guided meditations on youtube/amazon etc which helped to provide a setting that helped me learn how to regulate breathing and to relax.

I feel like once you get your foot in the door, you can figure out what works and what doesn't. There is no Wrong way, but there is probably a less difficult way. Outdoor meditations are really a great way to expand your awareness beyond the body, whether walking or sitting. I would also recommend checking out a Meetup group for meditation if you have the app.
“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Old 23-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Seeker
Thanks for all the great advise! I've tried putting some of all you guys advise to use.

I got up this morning on only 4 hours sleep, and I guess out of exhaustion or frustration (I don't know which), I decided to meditate despite being on such little sleep. And rather than 'forcing' myself to meditate, I just sort of let it happen.

I went all the way to 28 mins! And I promise I didn't just fall asleep.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Thanks for all the great advise! I've tried putting some of all you guys advise to use.

I got up this morning on only 4 hours sleep, and I guess out of exhaustion or frustration (I don't know which), I decided to meditate despite being on such little sleep. And rather than 'forcing' myself to meditate, I just sort of let it happen.

I went all the way to 28 mins! And I promise I didn't just fall asleep.

That's awesome! Just keep at it. You will feel so much better after!
Old 25-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Seeker

Quote:

First thing is, keep going.

Second thing is, balance all your other practices. Make sure you include practices that correspond to the 4 wordls. Physical, astral, mental, spiritual.

Third thing: maybe try more an active approach like western high magic, with a meditative intent. That is, you practice basic rituals, very slowly as a form of meditation. It will be easier to be slow in such a context because you have many things to focus onto at the same time.

Fourth thing: martial arts can help. For the same reason as magic. But it is even easier, for it is very fast and physical as well.