Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Pathfinder
I'm brand new to yoga.

I've been meditating for a long time, but I wanted to try something more physical. So I'm starting yoga! The problem is, I don't quite know what I'm doing. I started following youtube videos today and that's the extent of what I've done so far, but I plan to do this daily. I'd love to join a group or something, but I can't. Anyway, the videos don't really provide a lot of in-depth tips for beginners. What basic things should I know?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste of Paint
I've been meditating for a long time, but I wanted to try something more physical. So I'm starting yoga! The problem is, I don't quite know what I'm doing. I started following youtube videos today and that's the extent of what I've done so far, but I plan to do this daily. I'd love to join a group or something, but I can't. Anyway, the videos don't really provide a lot of in-depth tips for beginners. What basic things should I know?
Namaste.

For a beginner...for advanced...I say the same thing: Surya Namaskar.

This combination of postures includes a lot of other postures out there and it's a very good all-rounded and balanced workout.

Don't worry if you can't touch your toes or put your head down to your knees yet - that will happen eventually (although I never could do it).

Just ensure that you breathe in when going into each posture and breathe out as the posture is attained.

There are some mantras to chant whilst doing it, but that's up to you.

Start out with 3 rounds a day for a month and then go to 6 rounds and then finally, 9 rounds.

Each of these is a composite factor of 108 - Geometry
1+0+8 = 9

Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Pathfinder
Ah, thank you so much!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Master

Move from the heart, that is all you should ever know.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste of Paint
Ah, thank you so much!
No problem. Glad I could help you out.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Master
I don't know much about yoga, other than I took a class in college once...but I just wanted to jump in to say I love your name "Waste of Paint" It just made me laugh, I love it!
Old 19-07-2016, 02:53 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
I don't know much about yoga, other than I took a class in college once...but I just wanted to jump in to say I love your name "Waste of Paint" It just made me laugh, I love it!

Ahaha, thanks! I didn't make it up, it's the name of a song. The credit belongs to Mr. Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 AM
Experiencer
look into pranayama
focus on breath control
if you can master your breath
yoga will come naturally
• • • • •
Look softer
Breather deeper
Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Knower

If you haven’t practised yoga yet, you probably think it’s a kind of exercise for people with extremely flexible bodies or maybe for hippies. Not true! Speaking as someone with virtually non-existent flexibility, I can tell you that not only is it something that anyone can do, but also something that everyone will most likely enjoy.

Yoga originates from the period of the ‘Golden Age,’ some 26,000 years ago, in India. Nowadays it is practised as a way to de-stress your mind and tone up your body, meaning that the benefits are not only physical, but mental, too. Most people choose to practise it either in the morning before breakfast, or in the evening after a long, busy day. This way they can bring their bodies into balance and find stillness and tranquillity.

With yoga, the body is stretched and pushed to create muscular strength and power. There are different levels, so you can choose one day to push hard, and then the next to go slow. There is no limit and no requirements, so it suits your body perfectly! You can do it after a sweaty cardio workout, to relieve and relax your muscles. Yoga is a great way to wind down your body after an intense session at the gym.

And the meditation aspect of yoga is just as beneficial. Focusing on your breathing is a crucial practice here; it brings about awareness and stillness within you, so you can de-stress, removing all sorts of clutter from your worried mind.

In addition, yoga is a spiritual exercise. It connects you with your surroundings, drawing out energies and circulating them into your body, so your body and mind are revived. Hatha yoga focuses especially on this. Sessions are often 90 minutes long, sometimes more, because it takes time to truly relax and submit to meditation. You should enjoy this time as it really makes a difference to your physical, mental, and spiritual state.

At a time when so many of us are stressed out, rushing around, feeling the pressure of every tiny little detail in our lives, yoga provides a space where we can just relax and let go, which not only helps us to perform better in our daily activities, but keeps us fit and brings us tranquillity, too.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Knower

Good yoga guide!
Like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste.

For a beginner...for advanced...I say the same thing: Surya Namaskar.

This combination of postures includes a lot of other postures out there and it's a very good all-rounded and balanced workout.

Don't worry if you can't touch your toes or put your head down to your knees yet - that will happen eventually (although I never could do it).

Just ensure that you breathe in when going into each posture and breathe out as the posture is attained.

There are some mantras to chant whilst doing it, but that's up to you.

Start out with 3 rounds a day for a month and then go to 6 rounds and then finally, 9 rounds.

Each of these is a composite factor of 108 - Geometry
1+0+8 = 9